GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

'04 GX470 owner!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-18, 02:22 PM
Answer300
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

Glad you came out unscathed on that run in! Now its time for ARB!
Old 10-24-18, 06:42 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 523 Likes on 435 Posts

Well, $9731 in damages plus any hidden damages. Now the insurance company needs to review and decide if they are going to write it off or repair...the waiting is killing me! The truck is worth about $12-14KCAN in pre-accident condition, so it's going to be close.

The fender flare is $1300 by itself!!!

Last edited by IanB2; 10-24-18 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-25-18, 07:00 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Mulling over what I'm going to do with this, and came across the Coastal Offroad front bumper kits, I have a friend that could weld it up, probably have it painted body color to blend in, thoughts? For the cost of going with the aluminum version so I wouldn't need to beef up the suspension, I could be most of the way to new springs/shocks, and the current ones have nearly 250K kms, so they're likely due before long anyway.

https://www.coastaloffroad.com/produ...ont-bumper-kit

Does anyone else have issues getting pics uploaded lately?

Last edited by IanB2; 10-25-18 at 07:08 AM.
Old 10-25-18, 07:47 AM
BeEvil
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

@IanB2 That's what I would do. Go with an aftermarket bumper now instead of OEM replacement.

Yes, I've had issues uploading photos too.
The following users liked this post:
IanB2 (10-25-18)
Old 10-26-18, 02:36 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 743 Likes on 607 Posts

What do they mean "Weld-together kit"? You'll need a friend with a MIG welder to put it together?

Chip H.
Old 10-26-18, 03:13 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chiph9
What do they mean "Weld-together kit"? You'll need a friend with a MIG welder to put it together?

Chip H.
Yes, exactly. It ships as a bunch of laser cut pieces and needs to be tack welded together on the truck.
Old 10-30-18, 12:22 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Just got the word that they are going to repair, but it's very close as I suspected! Great news from my perspective!
Old 10-31-18, 08:33 AM
dchan865
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by IanB2
Just got the word that they are going to repair, but it's very close as I suspected! Great news from my perspective!
That's great, glad to hear that you're keeping your baby. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
Old 10-31-18, 01:46 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

Just out of curiosity, what did the insurance estimate/cost of repairs turn out to be?

I would not have been surprised at all if the insurance company had decided to declare the car to be a total loss because, with the relatively low current value of a 2004 GX, it would not take much damage to have the cost of repairing the vehicle exceed the payout for a total loss claim minus the salvage value of the vehicle.
Old 10-31-18, 03:54 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lesz
Just out of curiosity, what did the insurance estimate/cost of repairs turn out to be?

I would not have been surprised at all if the insurance company had decided to declare the car to be a total loss because, with the relatively low current value of a 2004 GX, it would not take much damage to have the cost of repairing the vehicle exceed the payout for a total loss claim minus the salvage value of the vehicle.
The shop gave the insurer a worst case scenario of about $10,600 and it was very close to being considered a total loss. If they had written it off, I think I would have been able to show via my receipts and service history that it's worth closer to $14K (all Canadian prices).
Old 11-09-18, 06:35 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

I had the truck back in at the bodyshop last night for an alignment and to check for anything bent as the wheel has been off-center since the accident. Sure enough the driver's side UCA that I just replaced is bent, and the cam adjuster bolts on the LCA's are all seized...yay. Half expected, but yay all the same.

Now the numbers go back to insurance, we'll see if they still approve repairs or if I need to argue with them about the value of the vehicle, and I'll likely pony up the difference to get OEM UCA, LCA's, and cam adjuster bolts. And I'll have to pay a shop to swap them as I can't mess with that with a broken rib, the spacer lift on the wife's 4Runner was tough enough for me right now. This is going to end up being pretty expensive out of pocket for a claim with no deductible!

To add insult to injury, it's now riding around on 20's off the 4Runner as I stole the 8-holes and mounted new tires for the 4Runner on them. The 20's look awful, I feel bad for the old Lexus. Once repairs are green lit for sure, I'l have the old 6-spoke FJ Cruiser wheels refinished and put back on the Lexus.

Last edited by IanB2; 11-09-18 at 07:49 AM.
Old 11-21-18, 07:29 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Got the word yesterday, with the suspension damages the total is now at about $12,600, and they want to write it off. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. Immediate plan is to have my 6-spoke FJC wheels refinished and get my Duratracs mounted and back on the truck, and replace the driver's side mirror glass, and continue driving while I weigh my options. I'm rolling around on 20's w/ all season tires off the wife's 4Runner Ltd. and the SUCK in the winter! The side mirror being broken is awful as well, especially at night. I don't need to accept any offer from the insurance company until I'm ready, so I can continue to drive it like this until spring if need be.

When I approached the bodyshop previously about using used parts and shifting the funds around a bit they weren't real receptive (less profit for them I guess), but I think I'l take another stab at that and maybe talk to another bodyshop if I don't get anywhere with them. Insurance says I need to find $1100+ in savings before they'll consider repairing, which would be my preference as it allows me a rental while it's in the shop, and keeps it from getting a salvage title. Seems stupid as it's pretty well all cosmetic damages that this is such a big deal!
Old 11-21-18, 03:51 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Oh man.

I'd get the safety & performance items fixed with OEM parts. But for the cosmetic stuff - maybe go for an overlander style, where finish is much less important.

I went to the local car show over the weekend. The GX460 is pretty nice, but I think the 470 is better looking and better reflects the SUV heritage.

Chip H.
The following users liked this post:
IanB2 (11-21-18)
Old 11-26-18, 11:04 AM
BostonGuy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patiently waiting

Picked up a new ride for the wife a few weeks back, thought I'd introduce myself and the truck. It had some ugly aftermarket wheels w/ stock tires on it, so 1st order of business was some 265/70/17 Duratracs on FJ Criser 6-spokes. 1st pic is just after I got them mounted up.

Went out to a buddy's cabin for the long weekend, the plowed ice road from New Years was still passable so we were able to park at the end of the dock on the ice rather than hike in (no road to the cabin, boat in during the summer time). Got a big storm over the weekend, and the road blew in badly, got a chance to put the new truck and the Duratracs to work!
New to Lexus & this forum.
I am "patiently waiting" to purchase a '09 GX470 from Carfax here in Massachusetts. Sales guy says they are finalizing a key situation . It's been a full month.
I am not in a rush, but more like anxious. I really like what I saw in the GX & want to pull the trigger.
I'll keep everyone here up-to-date on progress.
Hopefully, I'll have it this week?
Old 11-28-18, 06:31 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

If it's been a full month - there's something wrong. Carfax should at the very least be able to take the VIN to the Lexus dealer (or a good locksmith) and get a key cut by code. As well as the immobilizer & remote locks programmed. Within a week at most.

I would personally verify the vehicle is still on their lot (i.e. they haven't sold it to someone else). And keep asking to talk to ever-higher supervisors until you can get answers.

Chip H.

Quick Reply: '04 GX470 owner!