GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Fender Bender Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-13, 05:00 PM
thx10
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fender Bender Question

Last night I was rear ended . I have a 2006 with 74,600 miles.

Already got an estimate from the dealer collision repair shop. $850.

There is slight damage to rear bumper cover and fender flare. Both are going to be replaced. The accident was more of a glancing blow on drivers side rear. They had damage to their 2010 Highlander on passenger front corner. Much more damage than me. Their insurance is paying for my repair.

This morning on the way to get the estimate all was good. It drives straight and true and no vibration. After estimate, went to work and parked it. Weather temps dropped a bit but hovered around 35. Collision center called and needed to stop by and sign paperwork so they can order parts.

On my drive out there the VSC TRAC, VSC OFF, and tire slipping light are all on. They did not turn off. They have never been on before.

Could accident, as slight as it seemed, knocked something loose? I mentioned it to the collision rep and he didn't seem too worried about it and said they will run a diagnostic own it when they repair it.

Thoughts?

Also checked the height control and it seems to work fine. Car drives true and no vibration.

Thanks
Old 02-20-13, 05:13 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 146 Posts

Wow, great price, according to Sewell rear bumper is over 400 bucks and fender flare, which comes painted is over 300
Old 02-20-13, 05:18 PM
thx10
Rookie

Yeah I was really surprised about the price.

The collision rep said they can price match since they are "the dealer" All new parts as well.

I wonder if I were to walk up to the parts counter and order something if they would price match for me since they are "the dealer" ;-)
Old 02-20-13, 05:24 PM
ALAN553
Racer

And the bumper needs to primed and painted too!
Old 02-21-13, 08:53 AM
thx10
Rookie

Well I did get a call from their insurance company and they said they would authorize the diagnostic test for the VSC lights. IF it was related to the accident then they would pay and fix.

If not, then it is on me. Of course. But I do appreciate them moving forward on this.

I did a little more research and found that low brake fluid levels can trigger the lights. When I checked the brake fluid level it was actually over the maximum level, by quite a bit. So I removed some to bring it down to the proper level.

Have not driven the car today as we are in an ice storm and the roads are a total mess.

More to follow
Old 02-23-13, 09:11 PM
andreys
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I *think" you're getting "made in China" bumper and fender flare.

Please ask them them whether you get Lexus OEM or "some other like-OEM" parts.
Old 02-24-13, 03:51 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Originally Posted by andreys
I *think" you're getting "made in China" bumper and fender flare.

Please ask them them whether you get Lexus OEM or "some other like-OEM" parts.
I didn't want to say it because there was such excitement over the price. Most good body shops know the difference in quality when it comes to painting these replica parts. If you don't plan on keeping the car it does not matter, but if you are looking to join the 200,000 mile club.....
Old 02-24-13, 10:58 AM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is why I don't take the cheaper car insurance choices. State Farm has always paid for OEM parts on the rare occasions I needed them.
Old 02-24-13, 07:14 PM
thx10
Rookie

I did ask that question and they are all OEM parts. That is when he mentioned they can "price match" non-Toyota/Lexus parts. But the dealer will only put on OEM parts.

I guess this is one way to keep customers (insurance company paid fixes) from going elsewhere.

When I drop it off on Wednesday, I will double check.

Also, any thoughts on the VSC issue?

Thanks
Old 02-25-13, 07:29 PM
cwelk87gn
Driver School Candidate

I work as an auto adjuster and investigator and perhaps I can shed some light on this for you. As far as parts go, if your car is a current model year or has less thn 20k miles, you get new oem parts automatically. If the adjuster can find used or A/M, they will use them in most cases..your shop is saying that they plan on using oem anyway so I wouldn't worry. The old " We will take it and have the light diagnosed and if it's accident related, we will take care of it for you" speech is simply to deter people who are trying to rip off the insurance company. The one thing to remember is this, a statement like "my neck has been hurting me and I didn't want to persue a bodily injury claim, but if you don't want to repair my vehicle properly, I guess I may have nerve damage that I should have checked out". Sounds stupid huh? It works very well. Lastly, you are due a diminished value settlement as well. Since the GX has sustained damage that will lower its value when traded, usually this amount isn't a great deal of money, probably around $200 on a $850 claim. It won't cost anything to try and you will get something out of it. HTH
Old 02-28-13, 07:51 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trust me, when you trade it in, it will show up on car fax and dealers will give you less for a trade in. Or, you will have to explain it to any private buyer and show receipts.

Sounds like they should pay you something for dimished value.

When I just bought a new Land Cruiser, they tried to play the car fax game on me. I had to argue that the previous $250 dollar repair when I bought it, was minor. My car was Lexus Certified, and they (Lexus) wouldn't have sold it to me, if it had major damage, acutally can't sell it as "certified" with major damage. Don't know what the cut off is regarding damage.
Old 02-28-13, 09:36 AM
ALAN553
Racer

usually the car fax does not show up unless a police report was filed, insurance companies do not report claims to Carfax, at least not here in NJ
Old 02-28-13, 01:38 PM
cwelk87gn
Driver School Candidate

Actually Carfax is dealership driven. Have you ever wondered why the dealer asks for your VIN when you order a part? Part of the reason is to make sure you get the right part, but the main reason is if you order a fender bumper and headlight for your car, it logs it in carfax as a front end accident. It has nothing to do with insurance companies or police reports.
Old 02-28-13, 02:33 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Originally Posted by cwelk87gn
Actually Carfax is dealership driven. Have you ever wondered why the dealer asks for your VIN when you order a part? Part of the reason is to make sure you get the right part, but the main reason is if you order a fender bumper and headlight for your car, it logs it in carfax as a front end accident. It has nothing to do with insurance companies or police reports.
that is not true here in NJ, police reports only, i have replaced a bumper and made no insurance claim from a driveway "incident" and there is nothing on carfax about it.. Besides, a police report is public record, if my dealer were sharing my purchases with anyone that would be an invasion of privacy.