GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Suspension Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-13, 11:06 PM
GXEnforcer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Problem

2003 Lexus GX470 im working on switching it over to coil overs for the front and coils for the rear but if ya'll could help me with some recommendations. Or even if ya'll know of any good complete kits. I also understand that some mods need to be done to the rear in order for some coils to fit right, if i can get a answer to what exactly i would have to mod it would be helpful. Seeing as i will be doing the work my self
Old 03-07-13, 10:55 AM
REPLAYBOY
Driver School Candidate

I'm in the same situation as you are. I am leaning towards towards doing the sunindustries complete front and back kit with new shocks. I talked to one of their "techinal support" staff to see if I could possibly get a copy of the installation guide before purchase (no dice). I wanted to see how the new rear coil perches mount. Apparently this is a problem with converting the rear. The gentlemen explained that because of the new shock length it will keep the rear coil seated properly in the mount for the OEM air bag? Not sure if I beleive that. The guys lack of knowledge about what I was talking about seemed to raise a bit of concern. I might just end of buying the kit and doing a DIY/review. The other thing that worries me is that if the compressor will be turning on still. If I ever decide to go back to OEM parts I dont want a fried compressor. It would be nice if someone else could shed some light on these kits.
Old 03-12-13, 08:19 AM
GXEnforcer
Driver School Candidate

One upset wife and 8 cold dinners later... I figured out what i have to do, im going to take out the air system and put in ARB front coil overs and rear coils and shocks. But its to the toyota fj its the same set up as my GX enough to have everthing line up right and have the capability to handle my weight. Go to: http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17207 and look and what he did and what a few of the what the other guys did. And fabricating the bracket is not hard go to
"Home Depo" and get 3\8 stock metal they sell it in strips of 24inchs (saw it in half to 8 inchs)
then get you a half inch bolt (grade 8) and about 3inchs in length, and there you go if you need any help My email is Edwardjr89@hotmail.com