GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

05 GX VSC OFF & Center Differential Lock lights on

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-20, 05:16 AM
OREM
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MomCar
I've checked all of the fuses that I could think to check (nearly half) and none of them were blown. Also if I used the switch on each door to roll the windows down they work, but they don't always work from the drivers switches. Still no luck with the differential as well.
Hi, I have comments on both issues, because I have had the same problems

Windows master switch loses programming: My 06 GX470 is reset by operating the front passenger window with the fast down and up button. One full cycle causes reset and subsequent proper operation of the master switches at drivers door. Battery disconnect is the cause.

VSC off Diff lock flashing: Mine stores DTC C1340. Also stuck in lock. I have used all the techniques listed, but one that seems to work the best for me is turning on hard surface so you feel the rear wheel begin to skid ?(roll window down so you can hear it). ECM sets a dtc code or does not, the main indicator is the dash with the vsc off and flashing. In this condition, you really don’t know whether the diff lock switch is in “on” state or “off” state. For sure the diff lock actuator is stuck (on my car) so I need to find the state of switch that is “off“. I do this by opening the drivers door and listening for a “beep” from under the car. Beep apparently comes from on the diff lock actuator or an alarm associated with the circuit. When not beeping, diff lock switch is in “off” state and then I try the techniques of reverse and forward and my suggested above; mine breaks loose and works normally. I really think it is a poor design to have that switch on the center console. ( also, using any other type switch that a push button would have been better) I have pushed it many times accidentally with my phone, keys, etc/. Even in winter with heavy gloves on it is easy to push when starting and clearing the snow. When it is accidentally pushed invariably you don’t have the transmission shift lever in neutral as is suggested by the manual When intending to lock the differential and you are stuck is muddy or snowy conditions.
According to Lexus Service manual, DTC1340/47 is set and stored under the ABS logic since that is where stability control is managed. In addition to the checks below, consider testing the two transfer indicator switches on the transfer case. These switches tell the ECM that the lever is in 4h or 4l which is related to proper functioning of the Diff lock function ( I don’t think the diff lock with engage when the lever is in neutral and the switches tell the circuit where the lever is set) I saw another thread where these switches function were intermittent; replacing solved same problem for the person.

Old 04-08-20, 06:20 PM
kamele
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mansito
It was stuck from lack of use. Before I took the GX to a gravel area as suggested by IanB2, I read the manual carefully. It suggests to drive it in reverse when the VSC OFF and the Center Diff Lock lights are on. I put it in reverse in my driveway, and before I go to the end of the driveway the lights went off. IanB2, thanks for the suggestion. I bet doing eights on a gravel road would have unlocked the center diff also.
Ths just happened to mine and I came across this forum and it did the trick for me as well!
The following users liked this post:
IanB2 (04-08-20)
Old 07-04-21, 09:35 AM
suprawhite
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My 2007 GX 470 had this problem and I've tried pretty much all the methods and none work. I work at a Toyota dealership and I've asked couple mechanics and each give me different method to see if it work. The one thing with our GX is that if you don't use the 4WD often, the center differential will get stuck. My personal mechanic basically say, "if you don't use it, you'll loose it". Anyhow, after driving in reverse so and so, I thought I need to replace the center differential solenoid because nothing work. I went to talk with another mechanic and he told me try to get a rubber hammer and smack the solenoid to see if it work. Sometime it get stuck for not using it often. Thank God, it work. This saves me lots of money and headache. Want to share this method just incase anyone has the same problem. Worth to give it a try before spending over thousand dollars for a new solenoid. Good luck

Last edited by suprawhite; 07-04-21 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-06-21, 10:50 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

I did the reverse in the driveway trick and it also fixed the stuck locked center diff issue for me.
For those of you who had the diff get stuck and then was able to unlock it driving in reverse, did you attempt to lock it again to see if it 'loosened' things up to make it lock and unlock easily again?