GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Crickets

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-13, 05:20 PM
Tennisjr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crickets

I've had my GX470 for about a week and it has been a joy. The thing is so quiet at low speeds it's almost eerie. That said, I keep hearing a faint squeak from the rear that I cannot isolate. Have tightened the 3rd row seats, checked for anything loose but still can't isolate it. It literally sounds like a cricket.

Anyone shed any light on this. (BTW, it is NOT a cricket)

Cheers.
Old 04-24-13, 08:54 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

This sounds crazy but have you cut OFF your heater/AC yet? The blower motors make that exact sound after a while--I got an 08 with 41K and I will be on #3 blower for damn squeeking
Old 04-25-13, 07:01 AM
Tennisjr
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the response, Booyah. It doesn't sound crazy and I tried it but, alas, it is not the cause of the chirp. Again, the sound is so faint that driving at highway speed, listening to the radio and even having the AC on drowns it out. However, there are times when I'm running around town that the enjoy the incredible quietness inside the cabin of this vehicle.

I'm going to sit all the way in the back have my wife drive me around this weekend. She'll think I'm nuts. Scratch that, she'll think I"m even nuttier.

Cheers.
Old 04-25-13, 07:11 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tennisjr
Thanks for the response, Booyah. It doesn't sound crazy and I tried it but, alas, it is not the cause of the chirp. Again, the sound is so faint that driving at highway speed, listening to the radio and even having the AC on drowns it out. However, there are times when I'm running around town that the enjoy the incredible quietness inside the cabin of this vehicle.

I'm going to sit all the way in the back have my wife drive me around this weekend. She'll think I'm nuts. Scratch that, she'll think I"m even nuttier.

Cheers.
Your not nuts. I get it too. But only recently over the past month lol! I don't even post about it cause I can't even explain it or where it comes from. I know I have heard stuff like it before but only on older trucks. I thought it was my rear seats too, but nope.
Old 04-25-13, 11:25 AM
Mparent
Driver School Candidate

Rear seats (2nd row) where they latch to the floor. I pop the seats up and & latch them back down (firmly) but a liitle oil / grease would be a better idea. I know it's my problem because it happens every time I change the rear configuration to take the dog to the park. Re-latching the seats has worked every time. Let me know if this does the trick for you. Mike

Last edited by Mparent; 04-25-13 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-25-13, 12:05 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mparent
Rear seats (2nd row) where they latch to the floor. I pop the seats up and & latch them back down (firmly) but a liitle oil / grease would be a better idea. I know it's my problem because it happens every time I change the rear configuration to take the dog to the park. Re-latching the seats has worked every time. Let me know if this does the trick for you. Mike
Thanks I will try that. I thought that might be the 2nd row seats.
Old 04-26-13, 12:07 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mparent
Update: As far as I can tell that did the trick. I lifted the 2nd row seats, pulled them forward then made sure they got a good push back into place and seems silent. I will know I guess in a day or two.

Thanks Mparent!
Old 04-26-13, 07:17 AM
Tennisjr
Driver School Candidate

Looking forward to trying this, thanks!
Old 04-29-13, 06:43 AM
Mparent
Driver School Candidate

As luck would have it, my crickets came back. I closed both rear seats (firmly) and 1 side stopped chirping but not the other. I have decided to come up with a better solution than re-latching the seats. I suspect, it has to be either the hinge side or the latch side causing the noise. I will try the latch side 1st. There is a round black rubber bumper (the size of a quarter) that separates the seat bottom from the carpet and places pressure on the latch. As the contact point wears (carpet gets 'smushed' down), the latch loosens up and is allowed to 'wiggle'. I will start there and add a rubber washer to the bumper. The bottom of the other seat half (small side) just rests directly on the carpet (no bumper). I am not sure what to do there. Maybe there is a mechanical adjustment I can make to the latch. I'll post what I find. Crickets are annoying! Mike
Old 04-29-13, 09:02 AM
Tennisjr
Driver School Candidate

I think my crickets are gone but I'm not sure of the root cause because I tried several different things at once: lubricated the latches, re-tightened the 3rd row seats, pulled the straps as tight as I could, etc. Still have some intermittent rattling but nothing too bad. Should be a moot point when I get my satellite radio later in the week.

Good luck and keep me posted.