GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Complete Ripoff (not happy with Spoiler price)

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-03, 12:28 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Complete Ripoff

I request pricing information on the Rear Spoiler for the GX. I find this option to be very helpful in keeping the rear window and the rear cleaner.

The dealer ship quoted me 590 for the part, and 490 for installation. (something like that) They said it would take 6 hours to install.

I have owned many new 4 runners and a Land Cruiser and a RX300. The spoilers were never this expensive to get.

Anyone get pricing on it yet?
Old 01-01-03, 01:20 PM
D4SSWME
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Spolier for $260.00

lexus-parts.com has the rear spoiler for our GX at $260.00 plus shipping.
Old 01-01-03, 02:43 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Now if I could get it installed at a decent price. I have installed them before myself, but would pay 2-300 to have it done without worries.
Old 01-01-03, 04:49 PM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ouch thats a huge rip off, you may want to try and contact some of the delears on the forums to see if they can get you a good hookup on it
Old 01-01-03, 08:44 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default $551 at Lexus.com

The Lexus website lists the spoiler as a $551 option. Not sure if that is factory install since none of the allocations specify spoiler. Either way - why should it cost more than $551?

I drove home tonight 100 mil in heavy rain and if indeed the spoiler will keep my rear winshield cleaner I will spring for the $551 (again - assuming that is the actual price).
Old 01-01-03, 08:47 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

is lexus-parts.com providing genuine lexus parts?
Old 01-02-03, 09:44 AM
dwf
Driver School Candidate

The service manager said that my rear spoiler took about 15 minutes to install. It was not available when I picked the car up on Dec 19th so they were going to come by and install it at my house. As it turned out there was a tiny bit of sticky backing left on some trim from the protective film they put on the car for shipment. So the service manager sent a flat bed truck to my house dropped off a RX300 and loaded my GX and took it back to the dealership. They completely redetailed the car and installed the spoiler in about 3 hours.

The complete re-detailing was the service manager's idea. I would have been happy if they just would have brought some solvent and wiped off the stuff. The round trip from the dealership to my house is 120 miles (so 240 miles total) They went way out of thier way to take care of me.

Love the experience so far.
Old 01-04-03, 11:03 PM
modelaford
Driver

Thumbs up

Does any one know if these $260 rear spoilers come with double back tape to install or use screws ? Most of the ones I have installed for other cars have only used the tape and is a 15 min job. Thanks TJ:
Old 01-06-03, 10:38 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

What I have installed in the past was bolts coated by a rubber grommet. You drill the holes, position the spoiler, slide the bolts through and tighten the grommet tightens against the sheetmetal of the body.

Tape sounds good if it's strong enough.
Old 01-06-03, 11:52 PM
D4SSWME
Driver

Unhappy lexus-parts.com spoiler pricing

got an email from lexus-parts.com stating that the price in their website was not updated.

The $261.00 price is "incorrect".

Actual price for the rear spoiler is around $551.00

This price does not include installation charges.
Old 01-08-03, 12:11 AM
LS007
Lead Lap

I noticed www.spoilerdepot.com has the GX470 under the Lexus listings. The link doesn't seem to work, so it might be worth a call to them to see if they have one available for the GX. A aftermarket spoiler might be a cheaper way to go. I have a spoilerdepot paint matched one on my LS430 and it was easy to install making the LS look a little more sporty.
Old 01-08-03, 08:37 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default Dealer experience

While at the dealer to have phone/K40 installed I asked about the spoiler - since I am now convinced it will keep rear window clean.

(1) they have never seen one. (2) ordering a Lexus "spoiler" is not order 1 part - it is ordering 20 parts. The spoiler itself of course is one part - and then 19 parts that relate to the installation. Although I am not sure they are correct about this - they say since this is new it could take months to get these kits from the factory.

Together -This makes the "tape" installation highly unlikely to have been a genuine Lexus spoiler. I wonder if any dealer has received the genuine article - from the factory yet.
Old 01-08-03, 08:41 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Funny that Lexus-Parts.com shows it in stock and as one unit.

I hope it is easier than that. My dealer told me like 6 hours to install but I don't exactly trust those numbers.
Old 01-08-03, 09:09 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

I purchased from the dealer because they had the car. They charged me list and so would anyone else. I purchased the vehicle because that's what I wanted and they had it, and they are local.

Does not mean I don't have opinions about the dealer and the pricing. I have worked with them in the past, and this is the opinion I draw upon. We are all free to have opinions, that's what America is all about.

Certainly you may have to drive to work on a road you don't like, but you still do so because it's still the fastest even though it has the most traffic/potholes.

I don't completely trust the estimate they gave me to install the spoiler. I know this because I have installed spoilers in the past and if the time was close, no big deal, but 6 hours seems too extensive. And in the past I have paid 2-300 for spoilers not 561 (which btw I don't blame the dealer for). I could be wrong, but again opinions are optional to all. But it doesn't mean I am going to attempt to return the car I have already purchased.

Originally posted by genearch
Maybe it's just me, but if you don't trust your dealer, why did you buy from them? You post titles like "complete ripoff" and comments like "I don't trust my dealer" kind of makes me wonder what your thought process is?

Granted, you need to be aware of everything you're being charged, but you sound a bit more cynical than the next guy.

Last edited by looknow12; 01-08-03 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-08-03, 11:39 PM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anyone got pics of there spoiler??

Quick Reply: Complete Ripoff (not happy with Spoiler price)