GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
View Poll Results: Best All-Terrain Tire for the GX470
Toyo Open Country AT II
5.66%
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac
15.09%
Nitto Terra Grappler
20.75%
Hankook Dynapro ATM
1.89%
BF Goodrich All Terrain KO
15.09%
I chose a different all-terrain tire
35.85%
Stick with an All Season like the Nokian
5.66%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Name Your Best All Terrain Tires for the GX

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-13, 12:15 AM
dundonrl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

something else to think about, if you want a tire that you don't have to chain up (if that's a requirement, and around Seattle it can be) look for the tires with mountain/snowflake symbol to identify they meet industry severe snow service standards. Some of them are the Wrangler DuraTrac, Grabber AT2, BFG All Terrain, Wranger Silent Armor.

Old 06-12-13, 10:26 AM
PitElevate
Driver School Candidate

I am running the Duratrac's on my fj80 Landcruiser currently, ran them on my built 100 series Landcruiser and they are by far the best all terrain I have used for my needs. I live in the Wasatch mountains and see a lot of the highway, snow, ice, gravel, and rocky off road terrain. The only reason I don't run them on my gx470 is they don't make them in a 255/80/17.
Old 06-13-13, 08:58 AM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dundonrl
something else to think about, if you want a tire that you don't have to chain up (if that's a requirement, and around Seattle it can be) look for the tires with mountain/snowflake symbol to identify they meet industry severe snow service standards. Some of them are the Wrangler DuraTrac, Grabber AT2, BFG All Terrain, Wranger Silent Armor.

+1. I wish there were more Michelins with the snowflake to choose from...
Old 08-18-16, 01:56 PM
pillguy
Driver School Candidate

Hey all, I am looking for some updates on best all terrain tires for my 2008 gx470. Am leaning to Firestone destination a/t, but also like toyo open country a/t. Please advise
Old 08-18-16, 02:07 PM
180ls1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pillguy
Hey all, I am looking for some updates on best all terrain tires for my 2008 gx470. Am leaning to Firestone destination a/t, but also like toyo open country a/t. Please advise
Id grab the Firestone. They are quieter and lighter. The toyo is a great tire though if you push it more off road but my Firestones have seen some really rough stuff offroad and I was more than happy with how they performed. The toyo looks more aggressive if that counts for anything.
Old 08-18-16, 03:01 PM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bobinwash
I am now in the quest for that "perfect all terrain tire" for my 2004 GX. I have about 120K miles on it and it is still a great rig. I currently run the Nokian WR SUV tires and they have been great tires to have on all year, but I want to break free of the "soccer mom" look and give my GX some better tires to perform well on unimproved dirt roads and as a daily driver. And of course I want it to look tougher too (like the real high rated 4 wheel drive it is). My 470 is pearl white and I have blacked out the grill and emblems with plastidip spray (looks great so far and easy to do). Now I am looking for tires to mount on my stock 17" x 7" wheels. I may do a small lift but have not figured out the best path on that yet other than considering coilovers in front and tricking the rear sensors. I am on the fence between the Duratracs and the Toyos at this point, but willing to consider others if there is good enough reason.

I would love to get feedback on tires from those of you who have gone the All-Terrain route. I am looking for something to still be able to drive on wet or dry pavement with good handling manners, be good in the snow going over the pass (and as good as possible on icy roads), but also be able to go on rough dirt roads once in a while to go shooting or down to the river to go fishing. I also tow a small 19' travel trailer or a 17 foot boat once in a while.

If you select something in the poll, let us know why you like the tires and what size you have (it would help to know if you added a lift and with what components too). If you use a different all-terrain, let me know what it is and I can add it to the poll. Maybe this poll can help others who are considering all terrains. And don't forget to add pictures of your rig on the tires if you can. thanks everyone!
Go look at the reviews and ratings for Snow and Pavement of the new KO2 on tire rack. Its the perfect on/off road tire. Not noisy at all. Great off road protection, great traction off road. You simple can not go wrong. Price is up their. They are not the New hotness (but the KO2 is a new design). I was worried my wife would hate them. She didn't even notice a ride or noise difference. That was a win. They are amazing in the snow as well.
Old 08-18-16, 03:58 PM
pillguy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for feedback, definitely want function
Originally Posted by 180ls1
Id grab the Firestone. They are quieter and lighter. The toyo is a great tire though if you push it more off road but my Firestones have seen some really rough stuff offroad and I was more than happy with how they performed. The toyo looks more aggressive if that counts for anything.
Old 08-18-16, 04:39 PM
co4wheel
Pole Position

KO2 are quieter then the Firestone.
Old 08-18-16, 05:40 PM
pillguy
Driver School Candidate

That sounds even better. No pun intended.
Originally Posted by co4wheel
KO2 are quieter then the that Firestone.
Old 08-18-16, 08:20 PM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Here are the 265/70/17 KO2's. C load rating. 2 inch or so of lift in front. 1.5 in back. With the running boards that are now gone and replaced with sliders.

Name:  73A5FADA-0918-4EA8-8775-F5D364371B4B_zpsjyngwbq7.jpg
Views: 12273
Size:  155.3 KB

I have used REVO's, Wranglers (but not the current ones), my parents have firestone. In the end the KO2's are the best I have ever used. Amazing on the road. QUIET. COMFORTABLE. Don't wander, just work like a normal tire. I think they look KOOL. I think some tires on your list are a little more aggressive. Some less aggressive. Frankly, unless you are doing mud the KO2's are THE tire IMHO as a dual purpose tire. Mostly because of their totally normal on road behavior. Mud are not their forte. Much better choices for Mud then the KO2. But most AT tires are not really mud tires. Around here I don't go looking for mud and its pretty dry most the time. Never used the Duratrac

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...=true&filter=y

New Tire Rack result put in on top for the ones they sell by a large margin.
Old 08-18-16, 08:31 PM
pillguy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for posting the pictures, now I am leaning to the k02s
Old 08-18-16, 09:16 PM
NMBruce
Rookie

I just put **** Cepek Fun Country on my GX. 265/70/17, but they are a little big for their size. I have a 3" lift and they rubber on the running boards
Old 08-19-16, 07:57 AM
SkeetShoot
Rookie

I can't comment on snow performance yet, however I have the Falken Wildpeak AT3/W on my GX. They are awesome. I've been in some hairy wet weather situations. No slip, no hydroplaning, and they look badass.

I am interested to see how they do in some extreme snow weather.

Old 08-19-16, 08:25 AM
NMBruce
Rookie

Here you can see the difference between old and new tire

Old 08-22-16, 09:15 AM
SkeetShoot
Rookie

So to correct what I said about the Falken WildPeak AT3/W's they are indeed rated for severe snow traction. So that should be fun... If we get the kind of winter they are saying we are going to get this year, I'll be putting those tires to good use.

Quick Reply: Name Your Best All Terrain Tires for the GX