GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
View Poll Results: Best All-Terrain Tire for the GX470
Toyo Open Country AT II
5.66%
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac
15.09%
Nitto Terra Grappler
20.75%
Hankook Dynapro ATM
1.89%
BF Goodrich All Terrain KO
15.09%
I chose a different all-terrain tire
35.85%
Stick with an All Season like the Nokian
5.66%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Name Your Best All Terrain Tires for the GX

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-13, 12:21 PM
bobinwash
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Name Your Best All Terrain Tires for the GX

I am now in the quest for that "perfect all terrain tire" for my 2004 GX. I have about 120K miles on it and it is still a great rig. I currently run the Nokian WR SUV tires and they have been great tires to have on all year, but I want to break free of the "soccer mom" look and give my GX some better tires to perform well on unimproved dirt roads and as a daily driver. And of course I want it to look tougher too (like the real high rated 4 wheel drive it is). My 470 is pearl white and I have blacked out the grill and emblems with plastidip spray (looks great so far and easy to do). Now I am looking for tires to mount on my stock 17" x 7" wheels. I may do a small lift but have not figured out the best path on that yet other than considering coilovers in front and tricking the rear sensors. I am on the fence between the Duratracs and the Toyos at this point, but willing to consider others if there is good enough reason.

I would love to get feedback on tires from those of you who have gone the All-Terrain route. I am looking for something to still be able to drive on wet or dry pavement with good handling manners, be good in the snow going over the pass (and as good as possible on icy roads), but also be able to go on rough dirt roads once in a while to go shooting or down to the river to go fishing. I also tow a small 19' travel trailer or a 17 foot boat once in a while.

If you select something in the poll, let us know why you like the tires and what size you have (it would help to know if you added a lift and with what components too). If you use a different all-terrain, let me know what it is and I can add it to the poll. Maybe this poll can help others who are considering all terrains. And don't forget to add pictures of your rig on the tires if you can. thanks everyone!

Last edited by bobinwash; 05-26-13 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-26-13, 04:22 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 524 Likes on 436 Posts

I've had Duratracs on my last 3 vehicles, they can't be beat in winter conditions, look great, and are on par with any you've mentioned off-road with the possible exception of rock crawling use.
Old 05-26-13, 04:28 PM
bobinwash
Driver School Candidate

Good to hear you like them. How are your duratracs on wet roads or standing water...? I am thinking Seattle type weather.
Old 05-26-13, 05:25 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bobinwash
Good to hear you like them. How are your duratracs on wet roads or standing water...? I am thinking Seattle type weather.
Great in those conditions, no complaints.
Old 05-26-13, 07:50 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bobinwash
I am now in the quest for that "perfect all terrain tire" for my 2004 GX. I have about 120K miles on it and it is still a great rig. I currently run the Nokian WR SUV tires and they have been great tires to have on all year, but I want to break free of the "soccer mom" look and give my GX some better tires to perform well on unimproved dirt roads and as a daily driver. And of course I want it to look tougher too (like the real high rated 4 wheel drive it is). My 470 is pearl white and I have blacked out the grill and emblems with plastidip spray (looks great so far and easy to do). Now I am looking for tires to mount on my stock 17" x 7" wheels. I may do a small lift but have not figured out the best path on that yet other than considering coilovers in front and tricking the rear sensors. I am on the fence between the Duratracs and the Toyos at this point, but willing to consider others if there is good enough reason.

I would love to get feedback on tires from those of you who have gone the All-Terrain route. I am looking for something to still be able to drive on wet or dry pavement with good handling manners, be good in the snow going over the pass (and as good as possible on icy roads), but also be able to go on rough dirt roads once in a while to go shooting or down to the river to go fishing. I also tow a small 19' travel trailer or a 17 foot boat once in a while.

If you select something in the poll, let us know why you like the tires and what size you have (it would help to know if you added a lift and with what components too). If you use a different all-terrain, let me know what it is and I can add it to the poll. Maybe this poll can help others who are considering all terrains. And don't forget to add pictures of your rig on the tires if you can. thanks everyone!
I'm in love with the Michelin LTX AT/2 tires. I've had a few different tires on my GX: cross-terains, Dunlops (OEM), Michelin x-ice. These LTXs are great on the freeway, good grip in dry, and so far incredible grip in rain and occasional snow. I'm in Seattle, fwiw.

They look very aggressive. I'm surprised they're so quiet given the aggressive sidewall & tread.
Old 05-27-13, 04:41 AM
fishhuntnc
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just an FYI, here is the survey comparison from Tire Rack, based on the AT tires they carry.
Attached Thumbnails Name Your Best All Terrain Tires for the GX-at-tires.jpg  
Old 05-27-13, 05:58 AM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Perfect pic. [/thread]
Old 05-27-13, 08:07 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

That Tire Rack chart has to be a few years old, it doesn't include all the AT tires they carry.
Old 05-27-13, 08:33 AM
fishhuntnc
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The chart is accurate as of 7:41 am EST today using their search function. It includes all AT tires they carry in 265/65/17, minus a couple of winter tries. Of course, if you search a different size, you will get some other choices.
Old 05-27-13, 08:45 AM
bobinwash
Driver School Candidate

I have bought from the tire rack before...but their chart doesn't show brands they don't sell like the Toyo or the Nokian. And sometimes a tire that has been around a while and has a lot of positive reviews is at the top, when a newcomer "better" tire might be undeserving(-ly) lower just because it has fewer reviews or one bad low score review. Plus (as ridiculous as it sounds) the survey doesn't rate on the "cool looking" factor

I did a quick search and found the Duratrac is not listed on the AT tire survey even though they scored well in a different tire "commercial traction" category (see below). I just want to make sure we are considering all the factors.

But, all that said, the tire rack survey is a very good performance rank reference. Keep those opinions coming
Attached Thumbnails Name Your Best All Terrain Tires for the GX-capture.png  

Last edited by bobinwash; 05-27-13 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-28-13, 08:55 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Duratrac hands down. I'me telling you that I couldnt stop gushing about how great they perform both on road and off after our last wheeling event.

It literally deluged on us the night before, but those giant lugs in the Duratracs just kept pulling and pulling through anything we pointed the GX to. On top of the EXCELLENT offroad ability, they are pretty freakin quiet on the road. I'm used to the constant humming of a mud terrain, but I was pleasantly surpirsed at the incredibly minimal amount of noise these tires make considering how aggreesive they look.

Bottom line is that the Duratracs look serious, ride smoothly, balance well, emit little road noise, and pull like hell off road.

I promise you wont be disappointed.
Old 05-29-13, 04:39 AM
JeepinLaw
Driver School Candidate

I have run a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers and Toyo Open Country AT IIs. Both are good choices. For now, I still like all season tires for my GX.
Old 05-30-13, 08:16 PM
bobinwash
Driver School Candidate

was there a reason that you didn't like the toyos or grapplers? what made you go back?
Old 05-30-13, 10:29 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there a consumer reports "report"? Also have you spent any time on the http://forum.ih8mud.com/120-series-toyotas/ forum?

I will say this. I love my Nitto Grapplers. Way over the OEM. Changes teh whole look of the vehicle. Also to note when I brought the truck to the alignment place he had them too on his truck. He said they break in really even and stared at my tires a while like they were gold or something lol!

Last edited by infinirx; 05-30-13 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-31-13, 04:39 AM
JeepinLaw
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JeepinLaw
I have run a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers and Toyo Open Country AT IIs. Both are good choices. For now, I still like all season tires for my GX.

I do a lot of highway driving and the extent of my off road driving is mostly gravel and dirt roads. The Michelin all season tires are still better for highway cruising and do a good job on dirt roads IMHO.

Quick Reply: Name Your Best All Terrain Tires for the GX