GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

no posting

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-13, 01:58 AM
RI-Lex
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default no posting

not a lot of movement here on the first gen GX section of the forum, is it because the vehicle limited amount of mods that can be done?
Old 06-28-13, 03:43 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RI-Lex
not a lot of movement here on the first gen GX section of the forum, is it because the vehicle limited amount of mods that can be done?
Perhaps most people are HAPPY with what the GX has to offer? Mods are for kids trying to impress others.
Old 06-28-13, 04:57 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by redrocks
Perhaps most people are HAPPY with what the GX has to offer? Mods are for kids trying to impress others.
^^^^This!^^^^

Not only happy, but content with our GXs. For the most part, this seems to be a more mature crowd, and we don't necessarily want or need to change our GXs as they're fine as is.

OTOH, the OP is somewhat correct that there's not much available for the 1st gen GX on the aftermarket, and what is out there is expensive.
Old 06-28-13, 03:23 PM
Crispy3M
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OUCH! ... Says he with the XenonDepot Volt HID Kit
Old 06-28-13, 03:48 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 525 Likes on 437 Posts

How old do you have to be to get this crusty attitude?

Don't kid yourself, if you weren't interested, you wouldn't be a member here.

I find you don't get the same kind of passionate owners you do with the 4th gen 4Runner owners, there's a lot more activity on those boards due to the increased production numbers, and also the aftermarket support for that version of our platform. And way less DIYers here.
Old 06-29-13, 12:43 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Crispy3M
OUCH! ... Says he with the XenonDepot Volt HID Kit
The HID kit was added because HID light weren't offered as an option. Additionally, HID do make a big difference at night.
Old 06-29-13, 01:06 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IanB2
How old do you have to be to get this crusty attitude?

Don't kid yourself, if you weren't interested, you wouldn't be a member here.

I find you don't get the same kind of passionate owners you do with the 4th gen 4Runner owners, there's a lot more activity on those boards due to the increased production numbers, and also the aftermarket support for that version of our platform. And way less DIYers here.

Well, I guess I'm a crusty old man. But, there are more important things in Life besides deciding what 22" rims to add to my GX.

I join forums like these to find solutions to existing problems that other owners are having. Sure, it there's a simple mod that add real value, I'll consider making the upgrade.

Enjoy Life!
Old 06-29-13, 04:18 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, I guess I'm a crusty old man. But, there are more important things in Life besides deciding what 22" rims to add to my GX.

I join forums like these to find solutions to existing problems that other owners are having. Sure, it there's a simple mod that add real value, I'll consider making the upgrade.

Enjoy Life!
I'm also old & crusty. Just ask my wife. I also join forums to find out how to quickly & cheaply fix common/known problems, find out what works best (like tires) or, in the case of our Tacoma--how to improve its off-road capabilities by buying/using what others consider the best available.

We have no Lexus dealer within 250 miles, so fixing things myself can be a real money saver.

I don't much care that others like to mod their rides. It's their money & if it makes them happy, then OK.
Old 06-29-13, 05:16 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 525 Likes on 437 Posts

Enjoy Life!
Adding 22" wheels is one way to mod a truck like this. It's not the way I would do it.

I would like to add HID low beams, and I'd love to get this GROM aux input/bluetooth setup I bought installed. I consider those mods, and I don't think they're in poor taste either.

Not all mods are underglow lighting and bolt-on chrome exhaust tips.