GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

HELP!!! 2007 GX Drivers side floor soaking wet!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-13, 09:40 PM
Ches13h
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! 2007 GX Drivers side floor soaking wet!!!!

Last night it rained pretty hard. We were getting back into the gx and my wife ask me why the floor is wet. I thought maybe it was tracked in on our shoes. Well upon further investigating i noticed a stream coming down the inside of my dash by the obd2 connection and were your left shin would be. I pulled the scuff plates off and its flooded. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 07-06-13, 02:34 AM
Crispy3M
Driver

Originally Posted by Ches13h
Last night it rained pretty hard. We were getting back into the gx and my wife ask me why the floor is wet. I thought maybe it was tracked in on our shoes. Well upon further investigating i noticed a stream coming down the inside of my dash by the obd2 connection and were your left shin would be. I pulled the scuff plates off and its flooded. Anyone have any ideas?
Just off the top of my head, you might take a look under the Pilar cover. I had a BMW X5 that did the exact same thing. It turns out that it was a very common problem.

On the BMW, the sunroof had four drains, one on each corner. On the front left, the drain tube ran down the front left Pilar and connected to another tube that drained out behind the left front tire. The tube had somehow become twisted and the water was backing up the tube and then running down the back side of the Pilar cover and on to the floor.

I have no idea if the Lexus is the same, but it might be something to check.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Chris
Old 07-06-13, 04:16 AM
Ches13h
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Chris! I read on a 4runner forum they had the problem you described. On my off day im going to check it out. It's weird it happened all of a sudden. The day before I drove through a monsoon, and nothing! I bet since my car was sitting and it happened its the sunroof drains. Know I gotta figure out how to clean them
Old 07-06-13, 07:46 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 524 Likes on 436 Posts

Sounds like a plugged sunroof drain, get some stiff weed eater line and run it down the drain lines from the sunroof area down, that should get any blockages out of there.
Old 07-06-13, 04:15 PM
Ches13h
Driver School Candidate

I will try that. I racked my brain thinking of something I could run down there
Old 05-16-14, 08:50 AM
IVACES
Driver School Candidate

Default HELP-Same problem, but with electrical issues

2006 GX470-Had the same problem on Wednesday during a torrential downpour-water dripping onto my left foot while driving, resulting in a soaked floor mat. After it quit raining yesterday, I read the forums and threaded a length of trimmer line down the driver's-side sunroof drain followed by a shot of compressed air, then checked drain operation by pouring water into the sunroof channel. That issue has been resolved, and THANK YOU to those prior posters!

A few things are not working properly in the aftermath, that were working properly prior to this incident:

1. My windows operate from the switch at each door, but NOT from the driver's master. I went through the normalization process, but that didn't work. Additionally, the switch lights are OFF at each switch, including the master.

2. My steering wheel tilts and telescopes, but does NOT do so automatically as it used to, into the position that I had it set to.

3. My mirror switch functions properly, but the mirrors don't tilt down when the vehicle is put into reverse.

4. My door lock switches work when the vehicle is put into gear, but they don't respond to the driver's master switch.

5. The driving position memory system is not functioning.

I purchased the vehicle new and haven't made any alterations lately, so am befuddled, electrical issues not being a strong suit of mine.

Any advice would be appreciated

Last edited by IVACES; 05-16-14 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-16-14, 11:51 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 748 Likes on 612 Posts

Try resetting the computer by disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery, waiting about 15 minutes, then reconnecting (you might see a small spark - this is normal).

Afterwards you'll have to reset your radio presets and the auto-window settings (see sticky)

For the tilting mirrors - see if the selector switch is in the middle position. The reverse-tilting operation is disabled in that position.

Chip H.
Old 05-16-14, 12:53 PM
IVACES
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chiph9
Try resetting the computer by disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery, waiting about 15 minutes, then reconnecting (you might see a small spark - this is normal).

Afterwards you'll have to reset your radio presets and the auto-window settings (see sticky)

For the tilting mirrors - see if the selector switch is in the middle position. The reverse-tilting operation is disabled in that position.

Chip H.
Thanks for taking the time to respond Chip-I was coming to the EXACT same conclusion when I saw your post. However, it didn't work
Old 05-16-14, 05:39 PM
470reasons
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

The fuse block is in the area where you had the leak. Try checking for a blown fuse or fuses. There may still be some water in the wiring. Maybe the problem will clear up on its own when things dry out.

Last edited by 470reasons; 05-16-14 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-17-14, 06:59 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 470reasons
The fuse block is in the area where you had the leak. Try checking for a blown fuse or fuses. There may still be some water in the wiring. Maybe the problem will clear up on its own when things dry out.
Tell your wiring and fuse box [ "' SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND " ] Hair drier. Works for me
The following users liked this post:
cmurph (12-01-22)
Old 05-17-14, 05:48 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 748 Likes on 612 Posts

Not sure this will fit in the footwell, but you can let it run overnight (or longer) with the windows down to help dry it out.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-speed...wer-69721.html

Chip H.
Old 05-18-14, 03:20 PM
IVACES
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for replying!

The rain FINALLY subsided, the sun came out, the car [apparently] dried out, and my issues have resolved themselves :
Old 05-20-14, 08:02 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by IVACES
Thank you all for replying!

The rain FINALLY subsided, the sun came out, the car [apparently] dried out, and my issues have resolved themselves :
.....until it rains again.
Old 05-27-14, 01:13 PM
ChiTownGX
Rookie

Originally Posted by IVACES
2006 GX470-Had the same problem on Wednesday during a torrential downpour-water dripping onto my left foot while driving, resulting in a soaked floor mat. After it quit raining yesterday, I read the forums and threaded a length of trimmer line down the driver's-side sunroof drain followed by a shot of compressed air, then checked drain operation by pouring water into the sunroof channel. That issue has been resolved, and THANK YOU to those prior posters!

A few things are not working properly in the aftermath, that were working properly prior to this incident:

1. My windows operate from the switch at each door, but NOT from the driver's master. I went through the normalization process, but that didn't work. Additionally, the switch lights are OFF at each switch, including the master.

2. My steering wheel tilts and telescopes, but does NOT do so automatically as it used to, into the position that I had it set to.

3. My mirror switch functions properly, but the mirrors don't tilt down when the vehicle is put into reverse.

4. My door lock switches work when the vehicle is put into gear, but they don't respond to the driver's master switch.

5. The driving position memory system is not functioning.

I purchased the vehicle new and haven't made any alterations lately, so am befuddled, electrical issues not being a strong suit of mine.

Any advice would be appreciated
I am not sure on the other issues, but on #3), check to see where the L/R switch is located. If it is in the middle position, the mirrors won't tilt down. I actually like that better, especilly when backing up a trailer.