GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Problems already?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-13, 11:40 AM
Crispy3M
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixer
**Update**

I brought it back to the BMW dealership I purchased it from first thing Monday morning. Well, here we are, Thursday, and they still have not been able to fix the issue. At this point they've replaced the window control module. That solved nothing. Then they replaced a computer or brain unit in there, again, nothing. They're giving up. They're actually bringing it to the Lexus dealer down the way.

Hopefully Lexus is able to tackle this one.

I must say, Minnetonka BMW has treated me very well. They are stand-up folks!

More to come...
Thanks for the update!

It's nice to hear stories where the dealer did something honorable instead of the opposite.

Good luck at the Lexus dealership.

Last edited by Crispy3M; 09-19-13 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-23-13, 04:22 PM
Sixer
Driver School Candidate

Another update.

So, the BMW dealer that I purchased it from sent it to Wayzata Lexus down the street. Wayzata Lexus found a severed wire coming from a harness. BMW called me and said that Lexus wants too much to repair so they're taking it back and will again try to tackle this. Still no ETA.

Again, Twin Cities BMW has been awesome throughout this, but I just want my truck back...

On a bright note, my loaner from BMW has been a X5 35d. Very nice, but a little quirky...
Old 09-23-13, 04:27 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Another update.

So, the BMW dealer that I purchased it from sent it to Wayzata Lexus down the street. Wayzata Lexus found a severed wire coming from a harness. BMW called me and said that Lexus wants too much to repair so they're taking it back and will again try to tackle this. Still no ETA.

Again, Twin Cities BMW has been awesome throughout this, but I just want my truck back...

On a bright note, my loaner from BMW has been a X5 35d. Very nice, but a little quirky...
A severed wire in the harness if they know which one it is what is the big deal to just re-splice it?
The already spent money on the parts they replaced?
Old 09-23-13, 04:52 PM
Crispy3M
Driver

X5 35D... oooooo, I almost bought one of those a couple of months ago. I was looking to replace the GX but the X5 had run out of all warranty and I decided not to chance it. It does seem like the perfect mix of quality and fuel efficiency though.

I'd be very curious to hear how you like it and perhaps define quirky
Old 09-23-13, 09:27 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That X5d might be a nice combo of fuel efficiency and so-called BMW mystique, too bad it's the most diesel-y sounding diesel out there ... unacceptable in my book when the competitors have a better grasp on minimizing it.
Old 09-24-13, 06:56 PM
Sixer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
That X5d might be a nice combo of fuel efficiency and so-called BMW mystique, too bad it's the most diesel-y sounding diesel out there ... unacceptable in my book when the competitors have a better grasp on minimizing it.
Unacceptable only if you don't like that sort of thing. I happen to be a huge oil burner fan! I appreciate them for what they are and the monstrous amount of power they're capable of.

As for the "quirks". Again, overall driving dynamics feel great. I do however think the transmission leaves a bit to be desired. It seems to search quite a bit for the right gear (doesn't seem right for a diesel...as they make so much power throughout the band). Also, when accelerating after coming to a "stop" (think slowing down to 3 mph or so) the transmission has to "think" for quite a while before it find the cog. I've learned that it doesn't like to be driven with light foot.

Overall, not worth $60k to me.
Old 09-24-13, 07:12 PM
Crispy3M
Driver

Sixer,

Thanks for the post. I grew up on a farm so I too like the sound of a real diesel

I wonder if they have adopted the Adaptive Transmission Management that the X3 has. From what I read on the net, it's been a huge failure.

It's hard to find the perfect SUV

Cheers!
Old 09-25-13, 11:05 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I wouldn't say I'm biased against diesels, but you're right - I don't appreciate their sound despite their huge torque output. I only like to hear the engine when I'm getting on it. I value peace and quiet at idle in particular. Merc and Audi make quieter diesels.

OT: Overall, BMW holds less and less allure for me. I used to be the biggest homer, but their value prop doesn't do it for me anymore. The auto rags seem to say they are still fast, but aren't the ultimate driving machine anymore. Their lack of standard features makes their as-tested prices too high vs Lexus, Infiniti and Acura in my opinion. Their int's are stark bordering on boring, too. And I don't even want to talk about reliability (ask Booyah about owning one out of warranty).

However, the outgoing V8-powered M3 is a sure fire long-term investment in my book and one that I'd do just about anything to own... check back in ~20 years.
Old 09-26-13, 06:53 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 524 Likes on 436 Posts

I'm a huge diesel fan as well, and I'm fine with the sound of them. I've owned a '96 Hilux Surf 3.0TD, and a '91 Land Cruiser 4.2TD, loved both of them until they were taken before their times. I may have actually found another HDJ81 Land Cruiser to import, can't wait to get back into a diesel Cruiser!
Old 09-26-13, 07:29 PM
Sixer
Driver School Candidate

Yet another update

Got it back yesterday. All was...yes was, well when I picked it up. They officially chocked it up to a loose connection in a harness. When they tested all wires with an ohm meter they were all found to be fine...no severed wire as Lexus said.

Well then fast forward to this afternoon. I'm a bit paranoid about it now so I check the door locks and windows every 5 minutes...just to see. So I check, NOTHING! Sure as ****, 5 minutes later, working again.

Any idea what could be causing this to be intermittent?

I called BMW back. They agreed to take it back in Monday next week and take another look.
Old 09-26-13, 09:16 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 524 Likes on 436 Posts

Yet another update

Got it back yesterday. All was...yes was, well when I picked it up. They officially chocked it up to a loose connection in a harness. When they tested all wires with an ohm meter they were all found to be fine...no severed wire as Lexus said.

Well then fast forward to this afternoon. I'm a bit paranoid about it now so I check the door locks and windows every 5 minutes...just to see. So I check, NOTHING! Sure as ****, 5 minutes later, working again.

I called BMW back. They agreed to take it back in Monday next week and take another look.
A broken wire? LOL! I'm guessing Lexus properly diagnosed it.
Old 09-27-13, 05:56 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm a bit paranoid about it now so I check the door locks and windows every 5 minutes...just to see. So I check, NOTHING! Sure as ****, 5 minutes later, working again.

Sounds like there's a short somewhere since it's working intermittently.

Tell BMW to suck it up and either pay Lexus to fix it OR take the GX back. The last thing you want is electrical gremlins!!