GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Hypertech for the GX - If anyone is interested in squeezing out a little more power..

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-13, 06:12 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Exclamation Hypertech for the GX - If anyone is interested in squeezing out a little more power..

Submit a request to Hypertech here... http://209.12.144.7/requests.php

They just released their piggy-back tuning for the N/A Tundra, which I plan to pick up. According to their dyno test gains achieved 17hp/23 ft lbs of torque. The other benefit for us Tundra guys is their shift module improves the shifting characteristics of our trucks. Preliminary reviews have been favorable.

Anyway, since there is very little in the way of tuning/performance options for our trucks, I thought it would be nice to see a company like Hypertech come out with something.
Old 09-18-13, 06:22 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cssnms
Submit a request to Hypertech
Hype, that's about all it is. There's not much HP to squeeze out of our engines. I've been through this when I had my 1st gen Tundra.
Old 09-18-13, 07:22 AM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by RCsGX
Hype, that's about all it is. There's not much HP to squeeze out of our engines. I've been through this when I had my 1st gen Tundra.
What experience do you have with Hypertech on your 1st gen Tundra? As far as I know, they do not, nor have they ever offered a tune module for the 2UZFE motor.

They claim decent gains on the 5.7l (with dynos) which is about the same as the new Bully Dog tune - neither have been independently test on a dyno.
Old 09-18-13, 08:43 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 169 Likes on 145 Posts

i tried hypertech on a 97 Tahoe, other than having to switch to premium gas because of change in timing, i cant say I could notice anything different in a 5000 lb truck...a few more horsepower just didnt seem to change things all that much.
Old 09-18-13, 01:29 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

What experience do you have with Hypertech on your 1st gen Tundra? As far as I know, they do not, nor have they ever offered a tune module for the 2UZFE motor.
I don't have any experience w/ Hypertech but I know programmers / chips for our engines are pretty useless. I had a UniChip on my 1st gen Tundra tuned for a Volant and 2 1/2" exhaust w/ stock headers and it didn't do much of anything or at least anything I could feel.

They claim decent gains on the 5.7l (with dynos) which is about the same as the new Bully Dog tune - neither have been independently test on a dyno.
Hypertech said on the 4.6 motor you'd get 8hp on regular gas / 13hp on premium. You wouldn't even be able to feel that little of an increase plus those numbers would probably be lower than that for our motors.

If you want the most bang for your buck get some headers (long tubes are better) and a catback exhaust. This past summer on another forum Doug Thorley was talking about possibly making headers for our 4.7 if he got at least 20 buyers but it looks like it got nowhere even with multiple people saying they would be interested.
Old 09-18-13, 02:31 PM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by RCsGX
I don't have any experience w/ Hypertech but I know programmers / chips for our engines are pretty useless. I had a UniChip on my 1st gen Tundra tuned for a Volant and 2 1/2" exhaust w/ stock headers and it didn't do much of anything or at least anything I could feel.

Hypertech said on the 4.6 motor you'd get 8hp on regular gas / 13hp on premium. You wouldn't even be able to feel that little of an increase plus those numbers would probably be lower than that for our motors.

If you want the most bang for your buck get some headers (long tubes are better) and a catback exhaust. This past summer on another forum Doug Thorley was talking about possibly making headers for our 4.7 if he got at least 20 buyers but it looks like it got nowhere even with multiple people saying they would be interested.
I have read mixed reviews on the UniChip and the 1st Gen Tundra; some like it - say it was worth the $300 they paid, notice a difference in power, shifting, towing ect, some did not - say they did not notice much if any difference to justify the cost.

It does NOT work with the 2nd gen Tundra - the ECU adapts to the inputs rendering the UniChip to a $400+ paperweight.

As for the Hypertech option and our engines, I cannot speculate what the results would be, but they may prove to be not far off what was seen in the 4.6. That doesn't mean I still do not want to see what they could do/offer - it is nice to have options.

The 5.7 has a more meaningful claimed gain and by itself there probably isn't an appreciable difference in power considering the weight of the truck, but for me it's more about a cumulitive effect in combination with some other mods such as cat-back exhaust etc. I am also interested in the improved shifting characteristics, which is less of a concern with the GX IMO.