GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

DVD Overide to watch Movies Driving?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-03, 07:31 AM
Squiggy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default details!

I've been wanting to make the same mod, for the same reason, but I'm too chicken to start prying up plastic parts. Was access to the back of the NAV easy? I understand you have to start by removing the trim strips on either side of the shift console, but I'm not sure what tool to use, or where to start prying. The electrical part doesn't bother me. It's getting access that scares me.
Old 05-08-03, 08:09 AM
lexusnc
Driver

It is not difficult to do this mod. The two wood panels on either side of the NAV screen are held in by pressure fasteners, so all you do is carefully lift up the plastic trim which covers the bottom of the wood panels and then gently but firmly pull the entire wood panel out towards you. It comes right out, just be careful when you do the passenger side because there is a wire, which unplugs from the panel, which goes to the passenger seatbelt indicator. Once you have removed the wood panels, you simply unscrew the now exposed bolts that hold the NAV screen in and the entire assembly comes out (put a blanket or drop cloth down around the shifter so when you temporarily put the NAV assembly on the center console, it will do no damage. You now can directly access the wire harnesses at the rear of the NAV system and follow sclja’s instructions posted earlier in this thread. As I put in my original post, I used a double pole, double throw switch (from Radio Shack, $3.50) in the blank next to the 2nd start button; it is almost like the blank was made for this. However, I believe you could do this mod without the switch without any negative effect, because the speed pulse and e break wires you modify pertain only to the screen cutoff function, there is another speed pulse wire that runs to the NAV system to allow the “inertial guidance” when a GPS signal is not present. Once you have completed this mod, the components are reinstalled in the reverse order. Total time with switch installation was 1 hour and 45 minutes (but I went slow and took my time). Let me know if there is anything else I can help with……..
Old 05-16-03, 12:49 PM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

From The Atlanta Journal Constitution:

On Tuesday, an Alaska man pleaded not guilty to murder charges stemming from a fatal crash. The 28-year-old man is facing four charges of second-degree murder in the killing of an Anchorage couple. Troopers say he was watching a movie on a DVD player installed in his dashboard when the crash occurred.
Old 05-16-03, 01:10 PM
mogulbumm
Rookie

What concerns me about that case is that the same thing could happen with a NAV system. I have not yet read about any cases concerning accidents from those paying more attention to the navigation screen, but couldn't this trigger a slew of lawsuits against auto manufacturers for putting those screens in?

I certainly don't condone watching a DVD while driving, but I fail to see how having one playing is that much more distracting to the driver than looking at the map on the NAV screen and therefore places the driver under more blame for an accident. I don't see anything wrong with having the DVD set up for the passenger.

JMHO...
Old 05-16-03, 01:27 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Responsibility:
Where does it fall? It falls with the driver of the vehicle in all situations. There should be no problem with a driver watching a DVD if a person is capable and responsible for doing so. Just as on is responsible with their cell phone, reading their dash, changing their radio, talking with people in the car, looking out the window at the other side of the road, or glancing at a house or building driving by.

I will not cast judgement on anyone, as long as it is not done to me

Last edited by looknow12; 05-16-03 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-16-03, 01:35 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default You must have better drivers where you are

Lets face reality - no way anyone can drive and watch a movie - its impossible. People can barely drive when that's all they are focusing on. Talking on phone and glancing at the NAV, etc. are momentary distractions that we all do (I'm very guilty of this) which occasionally cause accidents. We gamble when we do it. Stats say that talking on cell phone is equivalent to DWI...maybe/maybe not.

Watching a movie while driving is another story altogether. You say its for the passenger - OK - this is America - but lets not kid ourselves here. If you saw a driver watching a movie while driving would you stay in front of him?

My wife sits in the back if she must watch a movie. I like it better that way anyway.
Old 05-16-03, 01:51 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

I believe we all believe it is quite clear that it is impossible to focus entirely on a movie and still continue to drive. :-) Just as it is impossible to focus on the navigation system and watch it and ignore the road, or to focus on talking to a passenger and not pay attention (even if your eyes are still on the road) to the road. Or to read an article, or bill, or whatever.

I have seen people with magazines on their steering wheel and I am extremely cautious when driving near or by them.

So it comes down to responsible people stationed at the wheel which in turn will keep the roads safe. The tools are just a matter a fact.
Old 05-16-03, 07:06 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by looknow12

I have seen people with magazines on their steering wheel and I am extremely cautious when driving near or by them.
That's why God (and Hadley) make a 133dB Air Horn , boy am I going to miss my Expdition when the GX arrives.
Old 05-17-03, 08:16 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

I'm sure you can still mount a decent air horn under the hood :-)
Old 05-23-03, 06:59 AM
jtalley
Driver School Candidate

Default lx470

I just pulled my nav unit out on my 2003 lx470 and it does not have the wire colors you are talking about. Any ideas which two wires I need to clip?

Thanks,

jason@edgewoodcap.com
Old 05-23-03, 07:13 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: lx470

Originally posted by jtalley
I just pulled my nav unit out on my 2003 lx470 and it does not have the wire colors you are talking about. Any ideas which two wires I need to clip?

Thanks,

jason@edgewoodcap.com
You might want to quote the person you are asking the question or this will take longer to get replied to.
Old 07-26-03, 02:01 PM
dhdh71
Driver School Candidate

Default why doble pole/double throw?

I have a question about this mod. I fully understand the need to interupt the speed pulse wire, as well as simulate grounding the e brake wire to screen. I guess where I am confused is the DP/DT switch. I understand one side of the switch will interupt the speed sensor wire. If you hook the e brake to the other side of the switch, AND ground the "screen" side of the wire, why even put it thru the switch, as it will see ground at all times, regaurdless of switch position? Couldn't you just cut the e brake wire, ground the screen side, then use a single pole switch to interupt the speed sensor wire? Sorry to bring up an old post, I think I must be missing something. Thanks in advance for the help!!
Old 07-27-03, 08:23 AM
mogulbumm
Rookie

Default Re: why doble pole/double throw?

Originally posted by dhdh71
I have a question about this mod. I fully understand the need to interupt the speed pulse wire, as well as simulate grounding the e brake wire to screen. I guess where I am confused is the DP/DT switch. I understand one side of the switch will interupt the speed sensor wire. If you hook the e brake to the other side of the switch, AND ground the "screen" side of the wire, why even put it thru the switch, as it will see ground at all times, regaurdless of switch position? Couldn't you just cut the e brake wire, ground the screen side, then use a single pole switch to interupt the speed sensor wire? Sorry to bring up an old post, I think I must be missing something. Thanks in advance for the help!!
Short answer: Yes.

Not quite as short answer: You can even go one step further and not even use a switch (cut the speed sensor and ground the e-brake).

Slightly longer answer: DP/DT Allows you to be able to set it back to factory default to show that either movement OR parking brake interaction will trip the screen away from DVD (in case you have to "show" somebody that feature). I will not go into the detailed reasoning behind this for fear that some may have me arrested for horrendous safety violations
Old 07-27-03, 05:20 PM
dhdh71
Driver School Candidate

Default ahha!

That makes sense-I surely do not want you to get arrested hehe!1 Thanks for the explanation!
Old 08-05-03, 05:44 AM
dud
Driver School Candidate

Question DVD Overide to watch Movies Driving?

Originally posted by looknow12
A place called Car Spa in Alexandria, VA is doing it for my car. They are connecting it to the front Nav system via a cable that Lexus makes. Then they are resetting the necessary grounds that will simulate park and parking brake.

I will send pictures when I get them. :-)

I am also in the Northern VA area and am considering the mod. How did the Car Spa modification go? Did you get it done? Was the price reasonable? Any issues with the nav system? Thx!

Quick Reply: DVD Overide to watch Movies Driving?