GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX vs 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-03, 09:29 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 4Runner

Originally posted by pbm317
The ride in my 4Runner isn't harsh at all, and I have the X-Reas. The Limited model, which doesn't necessarily have X-Reas is even smoother. I think it's very smooth, but I have yet to drive the GX. I am also considerably younger than an average GX buyer, so I felt that the 4Runner fit me better =) I know GX's are going for practically full sticker, whereas I was able to work my 4Runner down to invoice. just another selling point for me.
PBM - the new 4runner Sport Version looks great with the white lettering on the tires and the 2 toned paneling as well as the sportier rims.

I'd either want to get your model or the Limited, since they both look beautiful. I know you can get the X-Reas suspension on the Limited Model too, but of course the Limited price, starts creeping closer and closer to the Lexus GX470. Either way you can't lose with either car.
Old 01-26-03, 09:37 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by EDGE2

Reason I did not buy a GX the rear door swings out, their is a shift **** for the 4Wheel, no X-Reas, did not care for the dash lay out, did not want 3rd row, no need for DVD entertainment, the 4Runner fits me better Im pretty young compared to the people buying these trucks, and the extra 15,000 left over in my bank account

The 4Runner with x-Reas corners really well
I'm not sure why the GX470 has such a long & funky looking gear box and 4wheel drive shifter. The new 4runner has a great looking, shorter gear box (that looks like my GS430s) and it's nice and clean looking.

I currently have a 1999 Toyota Runner Limited and it's a great reliable, good looking truck, but the handling, lack of power, cheap interior for a limited model, poor audio system and small gas tank is really getting to me.

1. This new 4unner with this incredible V8 should solve the power issue.

2. The new Xreas suspension will solve the handling.

3. The new interior looks great and comes with NAV and a great Audio System finally!

4. The new look of the 4runner is more aggressive and still looks great.

5. Toyota must have increased the gas tank capacity, since of course a V8 is not fuel efficient, but even with my 1999 runner, I could actually see the gas tank go down in front of my eyes. I felt like I had to refuel every other day.

6. Along with a host of new improvements, someone at Toyota was really listening when redesigning this new 4runner.

Now it's a toss up between the 4runner or the new RX330!

Last edited by lexguynj; 01-26-03 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-27-03, 11:23 PM
177mph
Pole Position

Default 99 four runner

Many friends of mine with the last model 4 runner have complained of poor mileage and small gas tanks. Plus the limited interior was nothing special. I guess the new model will try and fix that. I just dont like the seating position and for that reason alone - I'd get the GX. I've sat on the floor in plenty of cars and never liked it. The new 4 runner is sllightly improved - but that's a seating position I';ve never liked.
Old 01-31-03, 01:30 AM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4runner is one nice truck, but i am wondering where is Seqoia fitting into this? Isn't it more of same class as GX? it's got 3rd seat as well, and u can get the fully loaded one for 43k out the door. somebody helps me out here~

pbm nice 4runner, ^^
Old 01-31-03, 02:37 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by gsintensive
4runner is one nice truck, but i am wondering where is Seqoia fitting into this? Isn't it more of same class as GX? it's got 3rd seat as well, and u can get the fully loaded one for 43k out the door. somebody helps me out here~

pbm nice 4runner, ^^
I also like the look of the Seqoia, and this year they finally gave it some nice rims. The original rims looked horrible and the tires looked way to small for this huge truck.

You're right, the Seqoia should be the comparison, but there is something so sporty and sleek about the new 4runner and dropping a huge V8 into it, that makes me consider it over the Seqoia, which basically just has more room.
Old 01-31-03, 10:52 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Sequoia is Toyota's biggest SUV...it is significantly bigger than the Land Cruiser, which is bigger than 4Runner/GX.

Sequoia is there to compete with Tahoe/Yukon/Expedition.

4Runner is to compete with Explorer/Pathfinder/Envoys/Discovery/etc.

3rd row seating in the Sequoia is better than TLC and GX470...more room.

LEXGUYNJ, there is a TSB regarding the fuel gauge...maybe you need to visit your dealership to ask about it. My 4Runner's fuel gauge is fine.

Cheap interior? Yes, the design is somewhat dated. However, the actual materials are very upper class! The hard plastics are solid and the soft dash is of high quality. Compare to the new 4Runner, i think the old 4Runner's interior MATERIALS are better. Design is better in the new 4Runner. Just tap on the hard plastic on the new 4Runner and then compare it to the old 4Runner, you will feel & hear a difference.
Old 02-02-03, 02:44 AM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

thx for the info. Though I wonder, if sequoia is singnificantly larger, why is it still tagged at the same price as 4 runner? a limited v8 sequoia is 43k out the door, 4 runner fully loaded v8 is just about the same. Confusing marketing standpoint.

Anywayz at around 40~50k, my $$ will always go for Lexus' outstanding qa and service. I think if you are up to spend more than 40k + for an SUV, the little margin around 3~5k should not be that big of a concern.

Of course, 4runner is still one ultra slick truck ^_^, just my 02
Old 02-02-03, 09:31 AM
tigmd99
Racer

I think it has to do with equipment levels. The '03 4runner has a lot of cool options to get...navigation, custom JBL sound system, XREAS, rear air suspension, etc. That is why it costs a lot.
Old 02-02-03, 02:43 PM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

u planning on some new shoes for ur slick truck?
Old 02-02-03, 02:46 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by tigmd99

LEXGUYNJ, there is a TSB regarding the fuel gauge...maybe you need to visit your dealership to ask about it. My 4Runner's fuel gauge is fine.

Cheap interior? Yes, the design is somewhat dated. However, the actual materials are very upper class! The hard plastics are solid and the soft dash is of high quality. Compare to the new 4Runner, i think the old 4Runner's interior MATERIALS are better. Design is better in the new 4Runner. Just tap on the hard plastic on the new 4Runner and then compare it to the old 4Runner, you will feel & hear a difference.
Tigmd99,

Thanks for the TSB on the fuel gauge.

I know you love your current 4runner and it's a great truck, but don't kid yourself that the interior in the old Limited version is luxurious. It's simply cheap looking wood plastic and is no way better than this new generation.

Everything about the new 4runner is more luxurious and better since Toyota has listened to what more 4runner owners wanted in the next generation, from more power to more luxury.

You should have waited one more year for this new generation to come out. My 99 4Runner Limited looks just like yours and it just looks old now compared to the new ones.
Old 02-02-03, 02:52 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Newer is better =)

Now I am a little biased.. but I have many friends with the previous generation 4Runner, and I feel that the quality of materials in my 2003 4Runner is much higher than those in the previous generation. I like the added width of the new style as well.
Old 02-02-03, 03:16 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Newer is better =)

Originally posted by pbm317
Now I am a little biased.. but I have many friends with the previous generation 4Runner, and I feel that the quality of materials in my 2003 4Runner is much higher than those in the previous generation. I like the added width of the new style as well.
I'd have to agree with you that newer is better and Toyota did a great job in this new 4runner. Especially in the sportiness area, in terms of looks and the new sport suspension option.

By the way pmb317, your Sports Edition 4runner looks great with those rims and the white lettering on the tires.

I am still undecided between this new 4Runner and the new RX330.

The link below is to many good photos of this new 4Runner. Enjoy!

http://www.toyotaoffroad.net/tando/0...nner_page1.htm
Old 02-03-03, 07:23 AM
177mph
Pole Position

Default seating position

Has anyone been annoyed by the on the floor seating position ? This was the main reason I never bought a four runner....
Old 02-03-03, 09:05 AM
tigmd99
Racer

lexguynj,

Ok...i am not going to argue about this...fighting among siblings is not healthy.

However, with regard to fake wood, the '02 model has different wood (darker--more real) than previous years. Also, what does the '03 4Runner have now?? Fake marble...Ok.

lexguynj, i bought my 4Runner in '02 because i wanted a very capable rig to off-road with. I do off-road quite often...gonna tear my running boards pretty soon! And i know it is a proven truck with tremendous off-roading potential.

That is why i bought it. The '03 is a great truck too. Just different needs for me.

Thanks.

Last edited by tigmd99; 02-03-03 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-03-03, 02:26 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Off Road

I'm pretty sure the 03' Runners are just as capable off road, if not more so. Maybe slightly more electronically controlled, but still capable nonetheless.
As for the seating position. I don't hate it. I'm coming from a Honda S2000, which is the ultimate on the floor seating position, inches above the ground, so maybe that's why I like the 4Runner. It doesn't give you a tippy feeling. It's a very comfortable, secure position. Again, maybe because I am very used to my S2000.

Quick Reply: GX vs 4Runner