GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Getting 90k Service done - anything else I should do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-13, 08:57 AM
TRW
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wombat55
Where in IL do you live and where did you get the quote for $1056 for the 90000 mile service plus water pump? I live in northern suburbs of Chicago and just crossed 90000 miles. My first quote from my Lexus dealer was $1750. Was going to start calling around but would like to call your place if it is in Chicagoland.
It might be a hike but you may want to give Lexus of Rockford a call. I was just in for an oil change this weekend and I'm close to hitting the 90K mark so I inquired about a timing belt service which included the drive belts. The service manager gave me a estimate of about $640!

I was thinking $1000+. They have a brand new facility up here and they have been very fair to me since I have been bringing my truck there.

Now, I doubt this includes the thermostat and W/P, but even still, that's a pretty good price. Does Lexus recommend doing the W/P at 90K? Do they have a history of going out on our GX's? Maybe they don't include it in this service because they don't see a lot go bad?

I know it's an easy thing since they are already in there, so I will probably ask how much extra it would cost when the time comes. I'll also ask about the thermostat and make sure they are including the pully's.

I've been though two timing belts on my Hyundai Elantra (193K miles and counting!) and at 75K I brought it to Pugi Hyundai and they only charged me about $360 for the timing belt replacement, saying that they don't recommend the W/P at that time. When I hit 150K, I decided to do the service myself and changed out the W/P and the pulleys.
Old 11-18-13, 04:49 PM
philipf22
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wombat55
Where in IL do you live and where did you get the quote for $1056 for the 90000 mile service plus water pump? I live in northern suburbs of Chicago and just crossed 90000 miles. My first quote from my Lexus dealer was $1750. Was going to start calling around but would like to call your place if it is in Chicagoland.
I've actually moved and live just outside of San Francisco. I met the CEO from yourmechanic.com. I'm scheduled to for service Friday. They're going to do the entire thing at my home location.

I'm getting:
90k service
Trans flush
Differential
thermostat
chain tensioner (belt really)
upper and lower radiator hoses

All parts and labor $1406

I'll update the group on how it goes.
Old 11-18-13, 06:15 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by philipf22
I've actually moved and live just outside of San Francisco. I met the CEO from yourmechanic.com. I'm scheduled to for service Friday. They're going to do the entire thing at my home location.

I'm getting:
90k service
Trans flush
Differential
thermostat
chain tensioner (belt really)
upper and lower radiator hoses

All parts and labor $1406

I'll update the group on how it goes.
Never head of that website. Make sure whoever does the work is licensed / bonded / insured. And make sure they use the correct transmission fluid. I don't see how they're going to do your transmission unless they just do a drain / fill. You're suppose to hook it up to a special machine to do a real flush and personally I would only let Toyota / Lexus do that.

Good luck!
Old 11-25-13, 01:57 PM
philipf22
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RCsGX
Never head of that website. Make sure whoever does the work is licensed / bonded / insured. And make sure they use the correct transmission fluid. I don't see how they're going to do your transmission unless they just do a drain / fill. You're suppose to hook it up to a special machine to do a real flush and personally I would only let Toyota / Lexus do that.

Good luck!
"licensed / bonded / insured." Yeah, they are all of those things. They warranty the repairs for a year as well. BTW, it was the transfer case fluid, not the transmission. I did the diff and x-fer case at 45k and now just did them both at 90k. No transmission work.

Overall, I'm really impressed with the service. My radiator was leaking so I have them back putting in an OEM radiator. I'd use them again without hesitation.