GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Suspension Clunk Over Potholes

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-13, 01:52 PM
amccaulx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Clunk Over Potholes

My 2006 Gx470 Sport (KDSS), with 82k miles, has a clunk/loose suspension feeling when going over potholes. It doesn't happen when going over speed bumps or anything other then a pothole.

I have experienced at each corner of the suspension, so it isn't just one corner that is bad. So if for example I drive over a pothole on the driver side, I feel the clunk on the driver front wheel as it goes into the pothole, and then again as the rear driver tire goes into the pothole. The same thing happens if I drove over a pothole on the passenger side as well.

Since it happens at all 4 corners, I am wondering if it may be something wrong with the Xreas Suspension, or KDSS.

Also, this is the first vehicle I have driven with KDSS, so maybe this is a normal feeling of that system.

Everything else with the suspension feels normal. Any ideas? Anyone with KDSS also experience this?
Old 12-26-13, 04:32 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by amccaulx
My 2006 Gx470 Sport (KDSS), with 82k miles, has a clunk/loose suspension feeling when going over potholes. It doesn't happen when going over speed bumps or anything other then a pothole.

I have experienced at each corner of the suspension, so it isn't just one corner that is bad. So if for example I drive over a pothole on the driver side, I feel the clunk on the driver front wheel as it goes into the pothole, and then again as the rear driver tire goes into the pothole. The same thing happens if I drove over a pothole on the passenger side as well.

Since it happens at all 4 corners, I am wondering if it may be something wrong with the Xreas Suspension, or KDSS.

Also, this is the first vehicle I have driven with KDSS, so maybe this is a normal feeling of that system.

Everything else with the suspension feels normal. Any ideas? Anyone with KDSS also experience this?
I've heard others report this issue (not specific to KDSS) and say they fixed it by replacing sway bar bushings.

I have a new set of bushings in the garage waiting for me to get my act together & install them. I hear a bit of a clunk from the front if one wheel hits a bump/pothole. And, if I jack up one corner of the front end (like when replacing my tires summer<>winter, I can see some wear on the swaybar bushings where they attach to the lower control arms.

Will report back.
Old 12-26-13, 10:26 PM
Sixer
Driver School Candidate

I think I have the same thing going on. I've noticed its more prevalent when I have it in "comfort" vs "sport". It just feels like something has a bit more play in it than it should. I guess it would make sense if it were the sway bar bushings...
Old 12-27-13, 08:46 AM
amccaulx
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sixer
I think I have the same thing going on. I've noticed its more prevalent when I have it in "comfort" vs "sport". It just feels like something has a bit more play in it than it should. I guess it would make sense if it were the sway bar bushings...
Mine too, it happens less frequently and is less apparent in Sport vs the softer settings. Maybe I will check those. Do you have to do anything special to replace those, like take the load off the suspension?
Old 01-13-14, 08:39 AM
amccaulx
Rookie

Has anyone figured out what was causing their clunking? I was under the GX this weekend, and visually checked out the suspension components, and everything looks good, but the clunks are starting to drive me nuts!

I did see a suspension bushing that had a bunch of crud built up on it, but I don't know if it is just dirty, or a failed bushing where its fluid had leaked out, causing the buildup.

Here is a pic of that bushing (Both front driver and passenger look like this)

Up Close:
Old 01-13-14, 10:36 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

That's your upper ball joint not a bushing. Some road grime is normal on the boot, here's mine:

With that said, if that is in fact what's making the clunking sound you need to get it looked at ASAP because you could have a failing ball joint. You don't want that that to fail going high speeds or you could kill yourself and others around you. Oh and here's the worst part, the upper ball joints are built into the UCAs (Upper Control Arms) so you'll have to replace the entire arm instead of a $30 ball joint. Seriously get it looked at ASAP. Toyota's are known for failing ball joints.....

You said it happens at all 4 wheels so I doubt this is your problem but since sport mode will stiffen the shock It's possible that one or both of your front upper shock mounts are bad that's why you're feeling in more while in the softer / comfort setting. Grab your spring and wiggle the coilover assembly. If it moves that would cause a clunking noise.
Old 01-13-14, 10:38 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Looks like your shock(s) are leaking and maybe a leaking CV boot! My vote if those shocks are original - bad shocks.

Last edited by cssnms; 01-13-14 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-13-14, 11:18 AM
amccaulx
Rookie

Originally Posted by RCsGX
That's your upper ball joint not a bushing. Some road grime is normal on the boot, here's mine:

With that said, if that is in fact what's making the clunking sound you need to get it looked at ASAP because you could have a failing ball joint. You don't want that that to fail going high speeds or you could kill yourself and others around you. Oh and here's the worst part, the upper ball joints are built into the UCAs (Upper Control Arms) so you'll have to replace the entire arm instead of a $30 ball joint. Seriously get it looked at ASAP. Toyota's are known for failing ball joints.....

You said it happens at all 4 wheels so I doubt this is your problem but since sport mode will stiffen the shock It's possible that one or both of your front upper shock mounts are bad that's why you're feeling in more while in the softer / comfort setting. Grab your spring and wiggle the coilover assembly. If it moves that would cause a clunking noise.
Thanks for the information, is there anyway for me to check the upper ball joint? I rather not take it into the dealer, as I have a feeling it will be $$, but I will if necessary.

When checking the upper mount, do I keep the wheels on the ground or in the air when shaking the spring?

cssnms, from the pic it looks like I have a leak, but that all is water. It was all dry about 30 min after I took that pic. I haven't seen any leaking from the struts, but I may have missed something. I hope they aren't bad, as they are spendy to replace.

Is there any way check for blown shocks with either TIS, or manually manipulating the suspension somehow?

Thanks All!
Old 01-13-14, 11:49 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks for the information, is there anyway for me to check the upper ball joint? I rather not take it into the dealer, as I have a feeling it will be $$, but I will if necessary.

When checking the upper mount, do I keep the wheels on the ground or in the air when shaking the spring?

cssnms, from the pic it looks like I have a leak, but that all is water. It was all dry about 30 min after I took that pic. I haven't seen any leaking from the struts, but I may have missed something. I hope they aren't bad, as they are spendy to replace.

Is there any way check for blown shocks with either TIS, or manually manipulating the suspension somehow?

Thanks All!
Oh okay.

If you want to check your ball joints, jack up your truck so the wheel is just off the ground and see if there is any play in your wheel. Grab the wheel on either side and push in and pull out for horizontal play and for verticle play, grab the top and bottom and go through the same motion. Having a dial indicator can help measure the play, but if it's wiggling chances are - bad ball joint.

Old 01-13-14, 11:54 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Wheels off of the ground.
Old 01-13-14, 12:33 PM
amccaulx
Rookie

Thanks guys! I will try that ASAP and post what I find. I'll take it in if there is no play for further inspection.

Also, how do you know if your XREAS shocks are bad, other then the obvious fluid leak?

When I finally figure out what is wrong I will update this thread.
Old 01-13-14, 12:52 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Also, how do you know if your XREAS shocks are bad, other then the obvious fluid leak?
Same as any other shock....look for leaks and do the bounce test, although my shocks didn't show any signs of leaking and also passed the bounce test but once I replaced them the new ones were like a night and day difference.

If you're close to 100K miles your shocks might not have completely failed but I guarantee you that they are easily compressible IE: worn and tired. Most shocks are worn within 50-60K miles and should be replaced but many don't replace them until they've completely failed.

When I finally figure out what is wrong I will update this thread.
I hope it's something simple.
Old 01-20-14, 08:27 AM
amccaulx
Rookie

Over the weekend, I did those checks you guys mentioned. I jacked up the front end off the ground, and checked the wheel for looseness and the upper suspension support, and everything seemed good.

With everything back on the ground, i held onto the roof rack and kinda hopped on the running boards, and got it rocking side to side pretty well, and didn't hear anything abnormal. I think I am going to have to take it into a shop to have it checked out unfortunately. I am a little worried about them miss-diagnosing it.

I have a sneaking suspicion that it may be the XREAS though, and if that is the case, I think I will be taking it to Metal Tech, which is local, to get Bilstien 5100s or something equivalent installed. I guess it could also be the KDSS as well, since I noticed what could be a small leak on the rear piston:

If it is either of those systems, it isn't going to be a cheap fix
Old 02-03-14, 12:45 PM
amccaulx
Rookie

This last weekend I checked out the suspension. I made sure every bolt was torqued to spec. I also checked the ball joints by jacking up the front, and checking for play with the suspension unloaded, and found no play. I then put the jack under the LCA and jacked it up to put some load on the front suspension (one side at time) and still found no play.

One thing I did notice is when rocking the car from sided to side to check the swaybar bushings, there was a squeek coming from the rear. I also tried checking the torque spec on the top part of the rear struts, but couldn't check it because of the limited space, and the shock rotates with the top bolt. Is this normal? See vid in link:

It the upper bushings for the rear shock squeek when I turn the top mount bolt, which may be the source of the squeek.

This weekend I have an appointment with Lexus to have them check the KDSS. If that doesn't get me anywhere, I will take it to Metal Tech, and see if they can figure it out.
Old 02-03-14, 02:55 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Yes that's normal for the shock to spin. You need to use a crescent wrench, locking pliers etc. and grab the top of the mounting shaft, its above the bolt that's squared off.

It's not easy to do with the GX on the ground though. Lift the rear with a jack under the rear diff and place jack stands under the rear section of the frame rails that way the rear end can droop. Once it droops you can easily get to it.

I doubt that's the cause of your squeak. It's squeaking because you're turning the shock shaft in a dry rubber bushing. When you rock it back and forth you're not turning the shock.

Quick Reply: Suspension Clunk Over Potholes