GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

About to make a GX purchase, is this legit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-13, 08:51 PM
Lmcqueen
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default About to make a GX purchase, is this legit?

Hello guys, been here for a while, not a frequent poster but here I go.

I'm about to make a purchase on 08 GX470. I've never seen this color combo, is this legit or should I be concerned?

Old 12-29-13, 10:04 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It's called the Sports package.
Old 12-29-13, 10:10 PM
Lmcqueen
Driver

Thanks... just never seen the black carpet with ivory seats before, for a while I thought maybe car was in a flood and had the carpet changed. I'll take your word and see if i can get the vehicle. Thanks!!
Old 12-30-13, 02:29 AM
andreys
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, it is legit. Here is one more GX, just like the one you're looking at:

Old 12-30-13, 04:58 AM
Lmcqueen
Driver

Thanks andreys!
Old 12-30-13, 10:48 AM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That's the only way I'm doing a light interior - with black carpets.

This looks good!
Old 12-30-13, 05:56 PM
Lmcqueen
Driver

Thanks Johnny, I'm driving 6 hours to pick it up tomorrow morning. My wife has been wanting a GX since 2003. For the same money, stripped down Odyssey would be more practical for us and our family, but I just hate to be making 400$ payments on something nobody wants to drive, so we decided on this 08 with 50k miles.

I didn't know too much about the GX as I never even heard of sport package and KDSS. Just did some research and talk about hitting a jackpot, KDSS seems to be something very desirable, and something I would absolutely want.

I have to leave by 5am to dodge the snow storm, but looks like i'm going to be too psyched to sleep tonight... lol.

Last edited by Lmcqueen; 12-30-13 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-31-13, 12:02 AM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Drive safe and post up your pics!
Old 01-01-14, 10:13 AM
Lmcqueen
Driver

Got the truck yesterday, drive home through the snow when we got back near Chicago really sucked, but made it back with no incidents.
These are dealership pics, as the truck is covered in salt for right now... will wash it off tomorrow when the local car wash opens tomorrow.

Old 01-01-14, 10:41 AM
UpStarr
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very nice! what are your exterior detail plans for that black queen?
Old 01-01-14, 11:07 AM
470reasons
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Beautiful. The 2dn start feature works great in snow. LOL! I Know you want to, but I wouldn't bother with a car wash just yet. More bad weather on the way.

Just stand there and watch it rust! Ouch! Mine yesterday - even worse today after 8 more inches.

Old 01-01-14, 01:00 PM
Lmcqueen
Driver

Originally Posted by UpStarr
very nice! what are your exterior detail plans for that black queen?
Thanks!
I don't have any plans for the GX at the moment, I paid an arm and leg for the 4yr extended warranty, as I took out a 4 year loan out for the truck. It's the first time I took out a loan for more than 2 years on a used car. I wanted the truck covered at least for the duration of the loan. Any mods kill the warranty. (I looked it up)

I still have my 1997 4Runner with 5 speed, that I'm going to play with, as it no longer has to be a daily driver. (just normal stuff, suspension mods, bigger tires, etc)

Originally Posted by 470reasons
Beautiful. The 2dn start feature works great in snow. LOL! I Know you want to, but I wouldn't bother with a car wash just yet. More bad weather on the way.

Just stand there and watch it rust! Ouch! Mine yesterday - even worse today after 8 more inches.
Thank you! Yeah, on our way back, I was driving the rear wheel/summer tired GS430, had about 3 near death experience on the Interstate. We both made it back okay and I'm going to the Church for the first time in a while this Sunday... lol. This GX will be wife's daily driver, she doesn't drive much but again, it was her 'dream' vehicle for a while, and I'm sure she'll have it washed regularly.

Last edited by Lmcqueen; 01-01-14 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-02-14, 09:22 AM
GX470Fan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice ride, Congrats! I have an '07 Sports Package Edition and it was always my understanding that the Sports Package Editions ALWAYS came with black birds-eye maple wood and light GREY leather interior. Perhaps it was different for the '05 models. Also, I noticed, I think, that your GX didn't have the tow package on it. I thought that was part of the Sports Package as well, but I'm not certain. The KDSS IS definitely part of the Package, though, and I very valuable option, especially if you do ANY off-roading (which I do). Regardless, I think your color combo looks great and to find an '05 with only 50k miles on it was a score. If you don't mind, what did you pay for it? Dealership or private party? Good Luck with your new ride! Thanks for the pics!

Last edited by GX470Fan; 01-02-14 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 01-02-14, 09:43 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Congrats Lmcqueen!. It's a beautiful truck. I too do have similar color combination (black maple with beige interior). It's a rare combination on Sports package.

If you don't have prior service history, I would start with chaging fuilds one at a time. Good luck!.
Old 01-02-14, 10:25 AM
Lmcqueen
Driver

Originally Posted by GX470Fan
Nice ride, Congrats! I have an '07 Sports Package Edition and it was always my understanding that the Sports Package Editions ALWAYS came with black birds-eye maple wood and light GREY leather interior. Perhaps it was different for the '05 models. Also, I noticed, I think, that your GX didn't have the tow package on it. I thought that was part of the Sports Package as well, but I'm not certain. The KDSS IS definitely part of the Package, though, and I very valuable option, especially if you do ANY off-roading (which I do). Regardless, I think your color combo looks great and to find an '05 with only 50k miles on it was a score. If you don't mind, what did you pay for it? Dealership or private party? Good Luck with your new ride! Thanks for the pics!
Thanks!
I've actually never seen a GX with no tow hitch, but I wasn't too concerned cuz I know this truck never towed anything heavy and powertrain was never strained. And also, (no offense to people who have them) I think the tow hitch kinda makes the rear look messy, I like the clean look.
I checked the stabilizer bar, it absolutely has KDSS. So maybe in 08, tow package wasn't a part of the sport package. I'll IM you what I paid. I don't want people posting that I got taken to the cleaners... lol.

Originally Posted by satiger
Congrats Lmcqueen!. It's a beautiful truck. I too do have similar color combination (black maple with beige interior). It's a rare combination on Sports package.

If you don't have prior service history, I would start with chaging fuilds one at a time. Good luck!.
Thanks satiger,
I looked up the history on Lexus Drivers site, truck has been taken care of very nicely. It even had timing belt service couple of months ago at 50k miles.
I'm really digging the color combo. I always thought the beige interior is too light (I got kids) and the gray looks too similar to my GS, so this works out good. I was never too crazy about the wood on the dash, this one doesn't have one on the dashboard, and the rest is subtle grey, which I like. I'm never getting rid of this truck... lol.

Quick Reply: About to make a GX purchase, is this legit?