GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Front wiper motors $587?!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-14 | 05:24 AM
zeeshan66
Rookie

Default Front wiper motors $587?!!!

This is going to be a rant/vent...my apologize from now. While driving in the heavy rain yesterday had my wipers on auto and they weren't being overly exerted but SOMEHOW (maybe cross winds who the f!@# knows) the passenger wiper gets caught up in between the arm and wiper of the driver wiper. SO right now it looks like an X on the drivers side and neither are moving. Luckily I pull off the road and under an over pass where I investigate, manage to untangle the two which did not want to budge.

WTF right?! Manage to get it home safely, take the truck in yesterday and they come back with an price (including labor) of $587!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They need to replace both motors? I've never heard of such an absurd price for windscreen motors!!!!!!! Aren't these reliable cars? This hasn't happened on any other vehicle I've owned most of which were 10+ years old with 200+miles on them. Didn't bother to get a secondary shop to look at it since I don't want to skimp on a safety measure, just shocked at the price. Has this happened to anyone else???
Old 01-07-14 | 05:40 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

***** happens whether it's on a Lexus / Toyota or a Ferrari.

You can always check out the 4Runner part to see if it's compatible since it'll be much cheaper than our GX part.
Old 01-07-14 | 05:50 AM
cssnms
Racer

First time I have heard of this on GX. But I agree the price sounds high. Source the parts yourself from Sewell or go aftermarket and have an indy shop instll them. I can imagine it is that labor intensive.
Old 01-07-14 | 06:17 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

The part itself is a little under $200 and FYI there's only 1 motor with a linkage controlling both arms.
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...X470-2005.html

Break out your tools and replace it yourself and save $$$$.
Old 01-07-14 | 07:05 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

If im not mistaken, its one motor with a dual assembly. The motor may not be bad, could be the dual assembly which could be less than the motor. IDK if you are handy enough to find out which part broke. Looks like they are just replacing the WHOLE thing which may be overkill. IDK if you care enough to inspect further or just pay and be done with it
Old 01-07-14 | 07:30 AM
zeeshan66
Rookie

Originally Posted by RCsGX
***** happens whether it's on a Lexus / Toyota or a Ferrari.

You can always check out the 4Runner part to see if it's compatible since it'll be much cheaper than our GX part.
Crap does happen your right. Good motto to keep calm and collected lol I was not sure about replacing it myself since it is tied into the sensor and definitely do not want to experience a stoppage in heavy rain like before so I think I'm going to bite the bullet.

Originally Posted by cssnms
First time I have heard of this on GX. But I agree the price sounds high. Source the parts yourself from Sewell or go aftermarket and have an indy shop instll them. I can imagine it is that labor intensive.
Given the weather here I didn't even get the chance to tinker with it, if it was summer time I'm sure I would of been able to come up with a more wallet friendly solution.

The part itself is a little under $200 and FYI there's only 1 motor with a linkage controlling both arms.
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...X470-2005.html

Break out your tools and replace it yourself and save $$$$.
Thanks for the link, didn't know about sewell before. My local dealer usually has some sort of deal going on I believe I get 12% my total bill so that helps somewhat. Then there's the lifetime warranty on parts and labor that does ease my mind. I don't trust me own work that well hahah
Old 01-07-14 | 07:41 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by zeeshan66
Thanks for the link, didn't know about sewell before. My local dealer usually has some sort of deal going on I believe I get 12% my total bill so that helps somewhat. Then there's the lifetime warranty on parts and labor that does ease my mind. I don't trust me own work that well hahah

WOW if you're dealer is giving you a lifetime warranty on parts / labor plus 12% off that seems like a good deal. Is that a Lexus dealer?
Old 01-07-14 | 07:52 AM
zeeshan66
Rookie

think I typed that too fast its not a lifetime but there is some sort of a warranty/guarantee in place.

YES it is Germain Lexus of Dublin Ohio. They have a 10% discount when you schedule the service online and I found another 12% (cannot use with any other offer) coupon on their website as well. They are FANTASTIC as I've commented before just a little shocked at the price of some stupid wiper motors lol I'll make it up with their courtesy car wash
Old 01-07-14 | 08:15 AM
YoshiMan
Racer

what exactly is the matter with it now? do the wipers simply not work? or are the arms just out of alignment and out of whack?
Old 01-07-14 | 09:40 AM
zeeshan66
Rookie

Originally Posted by YoshiMan
what exactly is the matter with it now? do the wipers simply not work? or are the arms just out of alignment and out of whack?
Drivers side completely seized and stopped working. Not sure if it snapped off from the connected motor as the drivers side was still functioning last time I used it.
Old 01-07-14 | 02:06 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

In case you want to investigate, see the attached PDF.
Attached Files
Old 01-07-14 | 02:08 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Have you checked the mounting points at the bottom of the arms? I've have numerous vehicles where the nut works itself loose, especially during high cross winds or snow, and all it needs is a good tightening up.
Old 01-07-14 | 06:45 PM
470reasons
Pole Position

"the passenger wiper gets caught up in between the arm and wiper of the driver wiper."

This doesn't sound like a motor problem. Maybe the linkage is messed up? Maybe something popped off. Use RCsGX's PDF and check all the mechanical connections. Pull on them! Good luck.
Old 01-08-14 | 07:02 AM
zeeshan66
Rookie

In case you want to investigate, see the attached PDF.
that's fantastic do you happen to have the entire repair manual? I tried googling but didn't get very far.

Originally Posted by YoshiMan
Have you checked the mounting points at the bottom of the arms? I've have numerous vehicles where the nut works itself loose, especially during high cross winds or snow, and all it needs is a good tightening up.
the weather has been so bad that I took it in the very next day and with temps in the negatives I bit the bullet and let the dealer take care of it.

Originally Posted by 470reasons
"the passenger wiper gets caught up in between the arm and wiper of the driver wiper."

This doesn't sound like a motor problem. Maybe the linkage is messed up? Maybe something popped off. Use RCsGX's PDF and check all the mechanical connections. Pull on them! Good luck.
Thinking about it now I don't think the motor was the issue because the driver side was working normally. It was probably just a linkage issue. fml
Old 01-08-14 | 07:28 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by zeeshan66
that's fantastic do you happen to have the entire repair manual? I tried googling but didn't get very far.
About 2 - 2 1/2yrs ago Toyota threatened certain Toyota friendly websites with legal action if they continued hosting free shop manuals, so they've all pretty much disappeared.

But there's still a cheap option if you're willing to put in some work;
https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo.../Register.aspx

It cost me $15 for a 2 day description. It's very time consuming to organize and download because you have to open and save each page individually, then you have to rename each page so you can cross reference pages if need be but it beats paying $200+ for the paper versions.

Quick Reply: Front wiper motors $587?!!!