GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

New on Board

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-14 | 09:22 AM
garyatcp
Driver School Candidate

Smile New on Board

Just wanted to give a shout to all of you seeing I am the new kid on the block, so Hi to all
Old 01-08-14 | 10:29 AM
cssnms
Racer

Hello and welcome to CL!
Old 01-08-14 | 10:32 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by garyatcp
Just wanted to give a shout to all of you seeing I am the new kid on the block, so Hi to all
Welcome to the best forum ever. I have a 2004 gx470 Bought mine in July 2013 Just love it.
Old 01-09-14 | 07:38 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

welcome to the club
Old 01-09-14 | 08:12 AM
zeeshan66
Rookie

Originally Posted by mrblister
Welcome to the best forum ever. I have a 2004 gx470 Bought mine in July 2013 Just love it.
couldn't agree more. everyone on here is extremely helpful and friendly. feels good to belong to such a community!

welcome!
Old 01-09-14 | 08:29 PM
caesosa
Pole Position

Welcome! its a good crowd!
Old 01-10-14 | 06:44 AM
Lmcqueen
Driver

Welcome!

I'm sorta a newb too here, but not a newb to the forum world.
I found out that there's one thing in common, whether you're in Lexus, Honda or Ford forum...

We Love Pictures.

Old 01-21-14 | 10:41 AM
GX470Fan
Driver School Candidate

Welcome to the Forum. I just bought my GX in September, it's a nearly perfect example, one owner, well maintained, gently used, '07, Sports Package with every option except LexusLink and the Rear Entertainment Package. I absolutely LOVE my GX. It's a HUGE step up from the 4Rumner Limited I had before. I do a lot of off-roading, mostly in Moab, Utah, and the GX is much more capable off-road than my 4Runner was, and that's saying something. As far as luxury, nothing beats a Lexus, IMO. I've owned bought new BMW's, Mercedes and Land Rovers. NONE were/are as luxurious as my GX. The Land Rover Range Rovers MAY have been a touch more capable off-road, but nowhere NEAR as reliable as my GX. When I head into the backcountry, I don't hesitate in my GX. I KNOW it will get me there, back and in style and comfort. Just an FYI, try and remember to keep your cabin air filter changed and clean at all times. It's a bit expensive for what it is (just a small square of folded cotton type material in a plastic frame for about $35), but it keeps out outside material and smells very effectively as long as you keep a fresh one on there about every six months for me because of where I live. It may be shorter or longer for you. But it's a little item to keep your eye on. To replace, just get the part Lexus part number and go to a Toyota Dealership. They should have it there. Make sure you buy the correct one or else it will not fit. I've also found that my local Jiffy Lube, which I'm confident in bringing my GX to for basic service, stocks my engine air filters AND the cabin air filters. They actually charge LESS for the cabin air filter than the Toyota Dealership here, so it's a pretty good deal. Well, welcome aboard. Hope you find this Forum as useful as I have. I've found almost every answer to every question I've had regarding my GX. Lexus=Luxury, GX=reliability, capability, dependability. All my two cents.
Old 01-21-14 | 03:23 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Welcome to CL bro!! Post pics of your badboy. Glad to have you on!
Old 01-21-14 | 03:42 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Welcome to Club Lexus
Old 01-21-14 | 06:26 PM
lakewaylex
Driver School Candidate

Hey GX470Fan,

Do you have any opinions on KDSS (assuming yours has it)?

I'm thinking about trading my gx in for one that has it - seems like a great benefit on and offroad, but I haven't gotten to test drive it yet.

Have you attacked any of the more difficult trails in moab with the gx?

Good to see some more offroaders!
Old 01-22-14 | 05:29 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lakewaylex
Hey GX470Fan,

Do you have any opinions on KDSS (assuming yours has it)?
Sports Package GXs come standard with KDSS.

I'm thinking about trading my gx in for one that has it - seems like a great benefit on and offroad, but I haven't gotten to test drive it yet.
If you'll make money I say go for it but if you have to come out of pocket I say just keep your GX and get a nice set of coilovers and replace the rear stock shocks. Also keep in mind color choices are limited for Sports Packages, unless you stumble upon a rare non-Sport GX where the owner added KDSS as a stand alone option.

Check out ih8mud. There are plenty of non-KDSS GXs that can tackle anything a KDSS GX can. One non-KDSS GX that comes to mind is SouthernSS':
http://forum.ih8mud.com/120-series-t...ld-thread.html
Old 01-22-14 | 11:09 PM
lakewaylex
Driver School Candidate

RC, I thought that sport packages implied KDSS also, but I've found a lot of them do NOT have it. Several on autotrader within the last couple of months - even have the dark wood trim on the inside.

I actually was digging the onroad KDSS benefit more than the offroad. Do you still think that the typical suspension improvements can approach that? Is there such a thing as an aftermarket coilover solution (reasonable cost) that lets you control it on the fly (switches inside)?
Old 01-23-14 | 05:12 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

RC, I thought that sport packages implied KDSS also, but I've found a lot of them do NOT have it. Several on autotrader within the last couple of months - even have the dark wood trim on the inside.
I wouldn't trust ads you see on autotrader, eBay etc. Most copy and paste from other ads. You can add KDSS as a stand alone option but if you have the Sports Package it comes standard with KDSS:

I actually was digging the onroad KDSS benefit more than the offroad. Do you still think that the typical suspension improvements can approach that? Is there such a thing as an aftermarket coilover solution (reasonable cost) that lets you control it on the fly (switches inside)?
I've never driven a GX with KDSS so I can't say but my Icons eliminated body roll and it drives great. I added the CDC option when I bought my Icons, which uses a 10-way adjustable valve to adjust the dampening just like our sport / comfort setting feature but the CDC **** is on the remote reservoir by the coilover itself.
Old 01-29-14 | 03:27 PM
Tipler
Pit Crew

welcome to the club

Quick Reply: New on Board