GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Opinions about tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-14, 07:28 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Opinions about tires

I need some tire input opinions, I have a 2004 gx470. I was able to buy a set of chrome rims new for a 2011 gx460 they are new. They are 18 " the standard tire for this rim is 265/60r/18. I really don't do any off roading I live in the northeast. I figure that since the new rims are chrome I will take them off for the winter and put my original set of 17" Michelins cross terrain back on. Having said this I don't really need a snow /tire for my new chrome 18 " I have been looking at options and I like the LTX AT/2 in 275/65R18 I like the aggressive look of the tire I really just like how it looks but I don't want to sacrifice ride and quietness and I thought if I was going to go with this size increase assuming it will fit with out any adjustments Remember my truck is a 2004 gx470 not a gx460. I could also get the 265/60/R18 in the LTX AT/2 instead of the slightly larger one.

The other tire I like if I choose to not go for the aggressive look is the Michelin latitude hp tour in the size of 265/60R/18 or 275/65R/18 The larger tire I think will look better not sure how it will effect the ride. The chrome rims are standard 18 x 7.5 and my truck suspension is all stock and I plan on leaving it this way for now. I don't profess to know a lot about tires but I wanted to ask our
group members for there opinions as to what would be my best choice based on what my perceptions are.

I want a good quite ride
I want a more aggressive thread for looks if I don't have to sacrifice to much in ride quality

Appreciate your input

Buddy
Old 01-21-14, 12:36 PM
GX470Fan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought an '07 GX about 3 months ago. Along with many maintenance items the Dealership took care of before I took ownership of it, they put on a brand new set of SWEET Cooper H/T P's on it in the standard size for my year, which I think is 265/65/R17. I did a bit of research on them and it turns out they are a great tire for the price. Very good in all conditions, which is great for me because I live in the mountains of Colorado and drive through many varied conditions throughout the year and didn't want to switch tires/rims every season. I even use them doing some fairly serious off-roading, mostly in Moab, Utah, and they have performed extremely well. They also have a SIXTY thousand mile tread life warranty which is up there with most Michelins. If I were you, I'd give Cooper a strong look. They are made in the USA and they are reasonably priced, a very good value. Unless I lift my GX, which I may do soon, I'm going to stick with Coopers for my next set of tires, no doubt. If they were/are good enough for the Dealership to put on a GX before a sale, they are good enough for me. Do some research on the H/T P's, or other Cooper tires. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. My two cents.
Old 01-21-14, 01:05 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by GX470Fan
I just bought an '07 GX about 3 months ago. Along with many maintenance items the Dealership took care of before I took ownership of it, they put on a brand new set of SWEET Cooper H/T P's on it in the standard size for my year, which I think is 265/65/R17. I did a bit of research on them and it turns out they are a great tire for the price. Very good in all conditions, which is great for me because I live in the mountains of Colorado and drive through many varied conditions throughout the year and didn't want to switch tires/rims every season. I even use them doing some fairly serious off-roading, mostly in Moab, Utah, and they have performed extremely well. They also have a SIXTY thousand mile tread life warranty which is up there with most Michelins. If I were you, I'd give Cooper a strong look. They are made in the USA and they are reasonably priced, a very good value. Unless I lift my GX, which I may do soon, I'm going to stick with Coopers for my next set of tires, no doubt. If they were/are good enough for the Dealership to put on a GX before a sale, they are good enough for me. Do some research on the H/T P's, or other Cooper tires. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. My two cents.

I will take a look at them per your advice. I still need to find out if I can go to a larger size tire and what are the benefits or negatives.
Old 01-21-14, 01:12 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Cooper's are a good tire. I have a lot of family in Texarkana, TX and AR side and one of their plants is right down the street.

Check out the Cooper LTZs.
http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light...spx#tire-specs

I was thinking of going with those before I went with the Nittos. Here's a GX with them in a 285/60 size
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...x-bbs-18s.html
Old 01-21-14, 01:20 PM
GX470Fan
Driver School Candidate

Yes, the LTz's are also a good choice, IMO. I think that Cooper offers a very good tire at quite competitive pricing. And there are a wide variety to choose from. Go aggressive, or not, bigger or not, as you please. Btw, I'm thinking that when my current Coopers get low, although I'm going to stay with the Cooper brand, I MIGHT go to a bigger size. Does anyone know how big I can go on a stock '07 GX, btw? Just curious if anyone has some experience in doing that. Thanks!! Love my GX!!
Old 01-21-14, 04:43 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I have always been a fan of Michelins. I think they are one of the best tire manufacturers out there and their SUV/truck tires are a proven technology.

They also have one of the best wear ratings in the business. They are quiet and long lasting and their M/S/all-terrain tires perform marvelously under those conditions. I am on my 2nd set of Michelins Cross Terrains, the first pair lasted 65k miles to include snow and off road use. I fully intend to replace them with Michelins. I installed Michelin LTX M/S on my last Grand Cherokee and they too were outstanding.

Michelins are well worth the extra $'s in my opinion.
Old 01-23-14, 07:12 PM
Tech
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I would consider the Michelin LTX M/S.

My wife got 83k miles on a set of these on her 03 4Runner V8.

She just sold the 4Runner, bought an 04 GX & had a set installed. I think the tire mileage on the GX may be somewhat reduced as the vehicle is approx 500# heavier than the 4Runner.

We do a lot of winter mountain driving & these tires are excellent in the worst snow/ice conditions.
Old 01-25-14, 05:37 PM
GX470Fan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jmriott

She just sold the 4Runner, bought an 04 GX & had a set installed. I think the tire mileage on the GX may be somewhat reduced as the vehicle is approx 500# heavier than the 4Runner.

We do a lot of winter mountain driving & these tires are excellent in the worst snow/ice conditions.
I agree that Michelins are a good tire. However, I'm suggesting there are other tires out there (ie Coopers with a 65k miles tire read warranty) that can be had for much less money that should/will perform just as well, in my experience. My two cents.
Old 01-28-14, 01:43 AM
GX470Fan
Driver School Candidate

Default Other Tires

Originally Posted by jmriott

While I'll agree that Michelins are very good tires, I'm suggesting that other tires should be considered because you can get nearly the same mileage, and performance out of them. Such as the Cooper H/T P's. I live at altitude in the Colorado Rockies and therefore have to drive in very varied conditions yearlong. The Coopers can be had for a substantial fraction of the price of the Michelins, perform just as well and come with a 65k mile tread life warranty. And they are made in the USA, which I like. Cooper also makes several other tire types for the GX. You can go as aggressive or not, up to you. My two cents...