GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Salt and Pepper!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-14, 12:16 PM
ChiTownGX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Salt and Pepper!!

On Saturday I picked up a 1 owner 2009 GX with 34K on it. Took the opportunity for a little family photo,

Unfortunately, I will need to say good bye to the white 2005 GX. I have really enjoyed it, but I can't keep both. If anybody here is interested in it, you can PM me.

One thing I am having trouble with on the 2009, is that I can't get the Homelink to work with my Genie Garage Door Opener. I followed the directions , but it just won't work. I never had a problem with getting the 2005 to work with the opener. Anybody else have an issue with theirs?
Attached Thumbnails Salt and Pepper!!-black-and-white-001.jpg   Salt and Pepper!!-black-and-white-002.jpg   Salt and Pepper!!-black-and-white-003.jpg  
Old 05-26-14, 01:12 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

Seeing your side-by-side photos is a reminder to me of how I continue to be amazed at how the first generation GX was able to survive a 7 year run with such a minimal level of changes during that time. With the exterior of the vehicle, the minor changes with things like the arrangement of the tail light array and the door handle finish are so minor that, even for someone very familiar with the GX, they are not something that would likely even be noticed without specifically paying attention to looking for them. And the interior changes were at a similarly minor level. It is really a vehicle that, I think, has held up well over time, and, while I would like to have some of the technology-related advances in the generation 2 GX, to me, the generation 1 GX still comes across easily as the better looking vehicle.

Good luck with the new GX.
Old 05-26-14, 03:10 PM
6080prado
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On mine, there were two different instructions - one for a regular garage door opener and one for a rolling code type. I needed to do the rolling code type which involved not just having the homelink listen to the remote, but the opener then needed to listen to the homelink. I would imagine most openers are now rolling code.
Old 05-26-14, 04:37 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the very same 09 as you. Homelink hooked up first time for me. Did you pay around mid 30's for one with low miles?
Old 05-27-14, 08:05 AM
UpStarr
Pit Crew

Love my 2006, but I would jump at the opportunity to upgrade to an 09 for the simple fact that it is equipped with a "SAT" button, newer Nav and with potentially lower miles with the perfect color combo
Old 05-27-14, 12:33 PM
ChiTownGX
Rookie

Originally Posted by lesz
Seeing your side-by-side photos is a reminder to me of how I continue to be amazed at how the first generation GX was able to survive a 7 year run with such a minimal level of changes during that time. With the exterior of the vehicle, the minor changes with things like the arrangement of the tail light array and the door handle finish are so minor that, even for someone very familiar with the GX, they are not something that would likely even be noticed without specifically paying attention to looking for them. And the interior changes were at a similarly minor level. It is really a vehicle that, I think, has held up well over time, and, while I would like to have some of the technology-related advances in the generation 2 GX, to me, the generation 1 GX still comes across easily as the better looking vehicle.

Good luck with the new GX.
I really believe that the GX 470 is going to be one of those timeless vehicles that will always look good. It has very classic lines on the outside and a really rich looking interior.

I took a hard look at the GX 460 as a potential replacement. First of all, I think they ruined the looks of the exterior. It looks choppy, rather than graceful. The roof line looks squashed.

The interior materials look a lot cheaper than the 470, and I hear they don't hold up as well either. It looks more like a Toyota than a Lexus. The folding third row seats take up 4-5 inches of extra cargo space, combined with the lower roof, you lose cago volume. that is a big concern for me, because I carry a lot of spare parts and tires when I pull the race car.

Although it has more horse power, 460 owners that have also had a 470, said that the 460 is slower. Not something I wanted to hear when merging with a trailer onto the highway.

Lastly the GX 460 is a lot more expensive! Altogether, the 460 just did not make any sense to me. That's why I searched for a low mileage 470.

Thanks for the good luck wish. I feel that I got a good one. It has an impeccable maintenance history. All maintenance was done on time at the same Lexus Dealer. I had my Lexus dealer's GX expert check it out. He said it was in great shape. The worst thing he could find was that one tire had 8/10 tread remaining, while the other three had 10/10's. Cosmetically, it looks great too.

I am sure I will enjoy it for many years to come.
Old 05-27-14, 12:36 PM
ChiTownGX
Rookie

Originally Posted by 6080prado
On mine, there were two different instructions - one for a regular garage door opener and one for a rolling code type. I needed to do the rolling code type which involved not just having the homelink listen to the remote, but the opener then needed to listen to the homelink. I would imagine most openers are now rolling code.
My opener is the rolling code type, so I followed those directions. Maybe I'll try the other directions for grins just to see if that works. I remember it being a piece of cake to program the '05 GX.

I used the erase function to get rid of the previous owners codes. Maybe that's where I went wrong.
Old 05-27-14, 12:37 PM
ChiTownGX
Rookie

Originally Posted by burny
I have the very same 09 as you. Homelink hooked up first time for me. Did you pay around mid 30's for one with low miles?
I actually picked it up for $32K.
Old 05-27-14, 12:42 PM
ChiTownGX
Rookie

Originally Posted by UpStarr
Love my 2006, but I would jump at the opportunity to upgrade to an 09 for the simple fact that it is equipped with a "SAT" button, newer Nav and with potentially lower miles with the perfect color combo
Well, if you really want a 2009, now is the time to look. The low mile ones are going to get rarer and rarer. I was kinda shocked at some of the low lileage ones out there. I saw one as low as 7,600 miles. There just weren't any of the really low mile ones anywhere near me. I was not opposed to burning some frequent flyer miles and driving one home, but you really can't put that much trust in internet pictures from a car dealer.
Old 05-27-14, 01:11 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ChiTownGX
My opener is the rolling code type, so I followed those directions. Maybe I'll try the other directions for grins just to see if that works. I remember it being a piece of cake to program the '05 GX.

I used the erase function to get rid of the previous owners codes. Maybe that's where I went wrong.
I didn't have any trouble programming the Homelink with my GX (with a rolling code garage door opener), but, with a same generation ES, I wasn't having any luck. When I tried it with a different button from the 3 available on the vehicle, I was able to program it on the first try.

I have no idea why trying to use one of the buttons worked, while I had no success with multiple attempts on another button, but I thought of the possibility that the vehicle's Homelink system was having trouble overriding a code that had already been programmed to the button that I had no success with. I'm assuming that there is a way to manually delete a code that has already been programmed, but I didn't bother to check the manual to see how to do it. You might want to check the GX manual to see how to delete a code or, as an alternative, try using one of the other buttons.
Old 05-27-14, 01:18 PM
ChiTownGX
Rookie

Originally Posted by lesz
I didn't have any trouble programming the Homelink with my GX (with a rolling code garage door opener), but, with a same generation ES, I wasn't having any luck. When I tried it with a different button from the 3 available on the vehicle, I was able to program it on the first try.

I have no idea why trying to use one of the buttons worked, while I had no success with multiple attempts on another button, but I thought of the possibility that the vehicle's Homelink system was having trouble overriding a code that had already been programmed to the button that I had no success with. I'm assuming that there is a way to manually delete a code that has already been programmed, but I didn't bother to check the manual to see how to do it. You might want to check the GX manual to see how to delete a code or, as an alternative, try using one of the other buttons.
Thanks for the suggestions. I did try to program it from all 3 buttons, and none of them would work. I am beginning to wonder if the Homelink is just broken. Anyone know if there is a way to test it?

By the way, according to the manual, you can delete all of the codes by holding the 2 outer buttons down at the same time for 20 seconds.
Old 05-27-14, 02:44 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ChiTownGX
I really believe that the GX 470 is going to be one of those timeless vehicles that will always look good. It has very classic lines on the outside and a really rich looking interior.

I took a hard look at the GX 460 as a potential replacement. First of all, I think they ruined the looks of the exterior. It looks choppy, rather than graceful. The roof line looks squashed.

The interior materials look a lot cheaper than the 470, and I hear they don't hold up as well either. It looks more like a Toyota than a Lexus. The folding third row seats take up 4-5 inches of extra cargo space, combined with the lower roof, you lose cago volume. that is a big concern for me, because I carry a lot of spare parts and tires when I pull the race car.
Your thoughts about the looks of the 1st Generation GX are virtually identical to mine. The word "classic", I think, is very appropriate to describe the look. When I see a 2nd generation GX on the road, I think that it looks like the Lexus designers were trying to copy the look of a Honda CRV.

With regard to the interior, it seems that trends go back and forth every few years between a classic, plush look and a more high tech look. It is kind of like the way that TVs and audio equipment go back and forth every few years between being black in color and being silver in color. For me, I like the plusher look of the 1st generation GX with tasteful splashes of wood and with a minimum of (or no) chrome. It would appear, though, that, in current vehicles, things have swung to the high tech look end of the pendulum. I know that, while I appreciate the technology advances in my 2013 ES, I don't like the more angular design with shiny chrome as much as I liked the more classic look of the interior of my older previously owned ES.

I, too, like the taller stance of the 1st generation GX. Not only do I like the look and, as you said, the way that the height allows for more cargo space, but I also like the feeling of sitting in the driver's seat and realizing that there are quite a few inches of space between the top of my head and the roof.

My GX is a 2005. I only have about 40,000 miles on it, and, until this past winter, it had never been driven during the winter and, thus, had never seen snow, ice, or salt. With the exception of 2 or 3 pinhead-sized stone nicks that have been touched up, the body is still perfect, as is the interior. And, when I did drive it this past winter, which was an especially brutal one, I was impressed with how, of the 6 or 7 AWD or 4-wheel drive vehicles I've owned, the GX easily provided the most secure driving on snowy and icy roads. I figure that I really should be driving it more because, up to now, I'm doing maintenance based on time and well short of recommended mileage intervals.

Last edited by lesz; 05-27-14 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-27-14, 03:15 PM
gxman1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I went through this as well, programming the Genie, see my post # 7

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ng-issues.html
Old 05-27-14, 05:32 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Love those pictures of your white and black GX 470's. I totally appreciate the 1GX. It's the heritage of the GX line and is timeless and classic...take good care of your 2009 GX 470...
Old 05-27-14, 09:24 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm biased, but I think ~20 years from now our 1st-gen GX will be the equiv of the FJ60/62 today.

The GX will be regarded as a classic, old-school SUV with true 4WD backed by a smooth operating yet dinosaur V8.

P. S. The black GX thee is good looking with it's later wheels and extra ext chrome.

Quick Reply: Salt and Pepper!!