GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Getting new tires today!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-14, 07:02 AM
kdavis61
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting new tires today!

Hey guys I'm getting new tires today, are the Michilan XLT good for our car? Any other recommendations??
Old 10-13-14, 08:22 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

In about a month, I'll be getting new tires for my 2005 GX. I've pretty much decided to get the Michelin LTX M/X2 tires. I don't use my GX for any off-road activity. So, I have no need for a more aggressive tread, and I've enjoyed the way that the Michelin Cross Terrain tires that came with the GX kept road noise to a minimum. And, even with a rough winter with regard to snow last winter, I had no issues related to getting traction or maintaining vehicle stability on slick roads. Michelin no longer makes the Cross Terrains, but the LTX M/X2 has a similar tread pattern and should provide similar performance with regard to traction and vehicle stability. The Cross Terrains had a tire wear rating of only 400, but I got close to 50,000 miles out of them. The LTX M/X2 tires have a wear rating of 720 and a 70,000 mile tread warranty, which are higher by a wide margin than any of the similar competitor tires that I've researched. So, I figure I shouldn't have any issues with tread life. They are more expensive than tires from most of the competitors, but I figure that the extra tread life and the quiet ride, for me, justify paying the price premium.

I should add that the reason why I'll be waiting a few more weeks before replacing my tires is that the guys at my tire dealer told me that there will be a $70 rebate on the Michelin tires starting on about November 10. Since I still have a little usable tread left on the old tires and since the likelihood of slick roads here before late November is small, it is worth it, to me, to wait for a few weeks. I don't know whether the Michelin rebate will apply to all regions, but, if you are considering the Michelin's, it might be worth checking out whether the rebate will apply to your area and, perhaps, waiting for it to go into effect.

Last edited by lesz; 10-13-14 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-13-14, 11:42 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If you are a member at a big box joint like BJs, Sams or Costco, they send a flyer out almost every month with $70 off Michelins with purchase of 4 and a lot of times offer the $15 per tire set up fee(balancing, fix free flats, rotating, disposal of old tires, etc) for free with a coupon they include.
Old 10-13-14, 11:42 AM
ChimpanZed
Rookie

Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar

Best tires I've ever had on an SUV.

Last edited by ChimpanZed; 10-13-14 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-13-14, 01:34 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by burny
If you are a member at a big box joint like BJs, Sams or Costco, they send a flyer out almost every month with $70 off Michelins with purchase of 4 and a lot of times offer the $15 per tire set up fee(balancing, fix free flats, rotating, disposal of old tires, etc) for free with a coupon they include.
When I was doing my price shopping, I was surprised to see that the prices for the same Michelin LTX M/X2 tires at Sam's Club and Costco (and Wal-Mart) were all anywhere from $10 to $20 per tire higher than the prices for the same tires, including mounting, balancing, old tire disposal, etc., at the tire dealer. Plus, I'm not sure how much I trust the people at Sam's Club or Costco to do a proper job of making sure that the alignment is correct or even to properly balance the tires.

I guess I was reminded that it can be a mistake to assume that places like Sam's Club and Costco always have the lowest prices on all products. With the internet, though, it should be pretty easy, in just a few minutes, to compare current prices in any particular area.
Old 10-13-14, 02:24 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

When I used BJs, I would stand back there while they did it. I'm buying mostly Nitto tires now and have to go to a reputable garage that gets them for me.
Old 10-13-14, 09:05 PM
kdavis61
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys, I couldn't decide so I skipped it for today... It's between these two.. Any experience?

http://www.nittotire.com/light-truck...ht-truck-tire/

http://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 10-14-14, 09:30 PM
Fluid
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 4 Michelins in my garage, on the OEM wheels, that I recently took off when I bought custom wheels with bigger tires. Send me a PM if interested - they are in fantastic condition (almost new) with tread measured at tire store since I knew I'd sell them.
Old 10-15-14, 12:49 PM
AJ@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

Duratracs on a GX while living in Colorado? I expect you see some beautiful sights!

The Duratrac is very well known to be a good riding, long lasting, excellent traction aggressive off-road tire. I can't speak of the Nitto because its not a tire we carry and I do not like to talk about a product I know nothing about.

I also second that the Goodyear Wrangler Adventure with Kevlar is an excellent tire. For a good mix of on/off road, the Adventure will have a little better road manners.

You did make mention on your first post with the Michelin XLT tire, which is much different than a Duratrac. That is no longer offered but the Michelin LTX series is the replacement. Regardless if you use the M/S2 or the A/T2, they are more geared for the highway and will have the best ride quality.
Old 10-15-14, 01:52 PM
470SNC
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just ordered a set of 285 Falken Wildpeak ATs, loved em on the FJ and got over 55k miles on em and my friend is still using them as we speak and thats with daily commuting/offroading duties
Old 10-17-14, 08:06 AM
GRAYM
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

had gx since new in 03 had all kinds of tires and all brands so this time i put the goodyear assurance on it....nice tire..the first generation of this tire did not hold up so well. This is the second generation and so far is holding up much better. nice and quiet and great in wet weather!