GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Mileage and How Long You Anticipate to Keep

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-16, 12:25 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by steelers6
Stay on top of the maintenance and it should still be running fine in 5 yrs,you hear or feel something that isnt quite right get it looked at,5 yrs should be a piece of cake...
the only downfall I've seen with these cars, is desert heat. Both of our Lexus went down the same path. They were both beautiful cars and ran strong. They were both meticulously maintained, but my wife's 99 GS and my 03 GX, both suffered the same issues almost simultaneously. Paint, interior plastic parts and plastic or rubber related parts began to fail. I'm not sure why mine suffered this earlier, but most likely because it sat in the parking lot at my work everyday and hers much less so. Anyway. Just about everything was related to plastic or rubber. And after three years, a new car payment sounded way better. This is in no way a knock on Lexus. AZ summers kill things. When the travel to So Cal, I see quite a few cars with double the miles that haven't suffered the same failures.

You always hear about cold climates and rust etc., but heat causes a ton of hidden damage. With heat, stuff goes all at once too. All rubber seems to just one day dry out. Plastic parts all around break. I would have loved to double the mileage on both of ours and still liked them quite a bit. Still sad to see them go.
Old 06-27-16, 02:11 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 747 Likes on 611 Posts

Tint with 95%+ UV protection goes a long way towards protecting interior plastics. There is now a transparent tint for the windshield that provides UV protection (it's fairly expensive still).

So far as paint - my rear wheel arches need to be redone. The clearcoat is gone and it feels like sandpaper if you run your hand over it.

Chip H.
Old 06-27-16, 02:48 PM
steelers6
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chiph9
Tint with 95%+ UV protection goes a long way towards protecting interior plastics. There is now a transparent tint for the windshield that provides UV protection (it's fairly expensive still).

So far as paint - my rear wheel arches need to be redone. The clearcoat is gone and it feels like sandpaper if you run your hand over it.

Chip H.
Good info right there...
Old 06-27-16, 03:10 PM
steelers6
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rj4510
the only downfall I've seen with these cars, is desert heat. Both of our Lexus went down the same path. They were both beautiful cars and ran strong. They were both meticulously maintained, but my wife's 99 GS and my 03 GX, both suffered the same issues almost simultaneously. Paint, interior plastic parts and plastic or rubber related parts began to fail. I'm not sure why mine suffered this earlier, but most likely because it sat in the parking lot at my work everyday and hers much less so. Anyway. Just about everything was related to plastic or rubber. And after three years, a new car payment sounded way better. This is in no way a knock on Lexus. AZ summers kill things. When the travel to So Cal, I see quite a few cars with double the miles that haven't suffered the same failures.

You always hear about cold climates and rust etc., but heat causes a ton of hidden damage. With heat, stuff goes all at once too. All rubber seems to just one day dry out. Plastic parts all around break. I would have loved to double the mileage on both of ours and still liked them quite a bit. Still sad to see them go.
Makes a whole lot of sense...
Old 06-28-16, 12:56 PM
808Cruzr
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in southern Arizona, and and I always make sure to have my vehicles tinted, use quality sun shades in the front window and always park them in the garage when I can. Use a quality wax religiously as well. Something that will help protect against UV damage. You can also utilize some of the paint sealants on the market to help prevent paint failure.

But, generally speaking, you're right about how Arizona summers destroy things. Just look at the condition of a lot of homes' paint and roofing after just a few years of exposure in the blazing sun.

Can't beat the winters though...

Regards,
Joel
Old 06-29-16, 04:00 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Cruzr
I'm in southern Arizona, and and I always make sure to have my vehicles tinted, use quality sun shades in the front window and always park them in the garage when I can. Use a quality wax religiously as well. Something that will help protect against UV damage. You can also utilize some of the paint sealants on the market to help prevent paint failure.

But, generally speaking, you're right about how Arizona summers destroy things. Just look at the condition of a lot of homes' paint and roofing after just a few years of exposure in the blazing sun.

Can't beat the winters though...

Regards,
Joel
Great, I'm moving from Chicago to Scottsdale in 2 weeks. My luckily my truck isn't my DD.
Old 06-29-16, 06:22 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackCat81
Great, I'm moving from Chicago to Scottsdale in 2 weeks. My luckily my truck isn't my DD.
if you get lucky, your employer will have covered parking. Oh, and welcome to AZ. Most of us love it here. Between the weather here and Chicago and what they do to vehicles, I'll take AZ. Don't have to shovel, and your car looks awesome most of the time, till that one day......LOL! If I could have had covered parking at work, I would likely have been able to keep my GX at least another 5+ years, before I had to fix the things I did.
Old 06-30-16, 08:35 AM
808Cruzr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BlackCat81
Well...it isn't as bad as we make it sound. The weather we deal with is far less trouble than most of the rest of the country. Having lived all over the country, I'd rather deal with the constant sun than snow, ice, tornadoes, hurricanes, etc.

I did drive through a microburst monsoon yesterday though...that can be a harrowing experience if you've never done it.

That being said, you still see a lot of older vehicles on the road out here. I plan on keeping my GX as long as possible or until my wife steals it from me.

Regards,
Joel
Old 06-30-16, 03:41 PM
DAKONA
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Late to the game, but I plan on keeping our 2006 GX470 for a long, long time.

Second owner, (1st owners were 86 & 82 yrs young) less then 55k miles, looks brand spanking new!

Not to mention, this is not a DD, and we also have a Tacoma, (wife's DD) Tundra Crewmax (mine) and I have a company ride as well.

Glad to see how long these rigs last and run, then again it's a Toyota/Lexus.

DAKONA
Old 08-11-16, 08:18 AM
Slatts2013
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy20g
there goes another 100k
You're an inspiration Randy! My '06 is only at 165K and drives like new (after proper maintenance and mods).
Old 08-15-16, 05:19 AM
GRAYM
Driver

2003 260K, original owner since August 2003....gonna keep it till it falls apart.
Old 08-15-16, 10:40 AM
coloboardi
Rookie

Sold my 04' after two years of ownership a couple weeks ago. I couldn't get over the rear door and how annoying it was when it came to towing. Now in a 13' Escalade ESV Premium. Thanks for all the help on this board!
Old 08-15-16, 01:27 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 747 Likes on 611 Posts

When I bought mine 2 years ago, I planned on just keeping it for four years. Now I'm thinking "Maybe it's still good for another four."

Chip H.
Old 08-17-16, 08:00 AM
Lac
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Graym:
Very impressive with 260K. Still have original air suspension?
Old 08-17-16, 12:21 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

True, you have to pick your poison, when I go back East I'm amazed how shiny and new "older" cars look with their paint quality. Except they will also have rust on relatively new cars. Unless the car is able to be in something like a garage most of the day, the sun really takes its toll here.

You have to have tinted windows in the Southwest for the interior, and personally, if my car had to sit outside during the day, I wouldn't have much money tied up into it because it will be destroyed in a short amount of time. Especially darker colored cars.

Quick Reply: Mileage and How Long You Anticipate to Keep