GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

new GX owner here, coming from a 4runner, have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-14, 12:05 AM
NR04
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's actually the opposite with our HomeLink. I have MY2006 and it wasn't updated with the newer rolling codes. I just moved to a new house this past summer and I couldn't get the HomeLink to program my new opener. I ended up buying the $20 repeater to make it work.

Great pics btw, great to see that more and more people are using the GX for off-road use.
Old 01-03-15, 11:17 PM
GreatHim
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well tonight my rig dumped is transponder coding... my no longer starts the truck. it just cranks it over for 10 sec before shutting down. i was at my inlaws when it happened thankfully and my father inlaw is a toyota master tech. he immediately told me what was going on... the transponder is not reading the key... so now i have a $20k paper weight.... awesome

any ideas here? transponder coil? amplifier? or anti-theft ECU? or could the key somehow of lost its coding? my father inlaw said he has never heard of or seen a key lose its coding, but has seen transponder coils and amps go bad, and once ECU... any thoughts guys ?

Last edited by GreatHim; 01-04-15 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-04-15, 07:08 AM
NTH
Instructor

Received 150 Likes on 113 Posts

I haven't heard of a transponder going bad either. Any codes come up when you plug in OBD2 reader? A no start is most likely a result of bad coils or no fuel pressure. I'd start there. Sorry can't be more specific.
Old 01-04-15, 07:15 AM
is503
Driver School Candidate

I see your in pacnw, if you're near portland you can use my techstream to try diagnosing the problem. Lots of people claim you can program keys with it.
Old 01-04-15, 09:53 AM
GreatHim
Rookie

Originally Posted by NTH
I haven't heard of a transponder going bad either. Any codes come up when you plug in OBD2 reader? A no start is most likely a result of bad coils or no fuel pressure. I'd start there. Sorry can't be more specific.
having been a tech myself and having my father inlaw standing right there as it was doing this we are both sure this is not a mechanical issue... it acts exactly like other toyotas with transponders that have failed or that do not have a programed key... the 10sec(about not an exact time) of self cranking with no input from the driver...

no codes come up, but he does not have a Lexus specific scan tool that might read more specific codes.
Old 01-04-15, 09:56 AM
GreatHim
Rookie

Originally Posted by is503
I see your in pacnw, if you're near portland you can use my techstream to try diagnosing the problem. Lots of people claim you can program keys with it.
thanks im not sure what good that will do me as right now i only have the one key, and if it is not getting a good code to the ECU then im kinda at the mercy of the dealer, and i not? or if its the transponder receiver coil around the ignition or the amp, or the ECU itself then i am kinda forced into buying a new one...
Old 01-04-15, 10:49 AM
07GX470nCA
Driver School Candidate

Default Linking Garage Door

Reset your Homelink to remove previous settings.
Old 01-04-15, 11:48 AM
GreatHim
Rookie

Originally Posted by 07GX470nCA
Reset your Homelink to remove previous settings.
tried that
Old 01-07-15, 07:29 PM
GreatHim
Rookie

so its been at the dealer for the last day and a half. took it there because of the b2799 code and the electrical drain. they have traced down the drain electrical drain to the EFI system (a solid 2amp constant draw), and believe that the battery going dead as often as it was, told the computer that the truck was stolen setting of the b2799 code... so they are looking more into the source of the draw and hopefully fixing the issue or at least letting me know what the issue is.

ill report back and let everyone know my findings.

hopefully its just a bad ground or a shorted wire or bad connection. if its a bad ECU well at least i have the warranty that covers the ECU.
Old 01-08-15, 06:38 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 524 Likes on 436 Posts

Hope you get the transponder issue sorted out, that sucks.

I had no issues programming my '04 GX to open my new last year Chamberlain door openers, FWIW.
Old 01-08-15, 07:51 AM
GreatHim
Rookie

Originally Posted by IanB2
Hope you get the transponder issue sorted out, that sucks.

I had no issues programming my '04 GX to open my new last year Chamberlain door openers, FWIW.
They got the transponder talking again and reset. Just waiting on the electrical draw/drain to be sorted out -electrical is not my strong point. Anyhow I might want to talk to you some more Ian on the home-link... I have a new Chamberlain opener... We bought the whisper drive with WiFi remote access - kinda nice, we can open our garage door anytime from any place as long as we have cell service with our phone. Its super nice for having packages delivered and secured even when not home, or in emergencies for neighbors... so maybe it's also too smart for me lol I'm old school, and simple minded but like to feel sophisticated. Hence my fancy 4runner/Prado lol
Old 01-08-15, 08:56 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 524 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by GreatHim
They got the transponder talking again and reset. Just waiting on the electrical draw/drain to be sorted out -electrical is not my strong point. Anyhow I might want to talk to you some more Ian on the home-link... I have a new Chamberlain opener... We bought the whisper drive with WiFi remote access - kinda nice, we can open our garage door anytime from any place as long as we have cell service with our phone. Its super nice for having packages delivered and secured even when not home, or in emergencies for neighbors... so maybe it's also too smart for me lol I'm old school, and simple minded but like to feel sophisticated. Hence my fancy 4runner/Prado lol
For sure, hit me up. From memory, the programming process was a 2 person affair, one to hit the button on the opener box (required a ladder for me), and another to hit the button in the vehicle. You had to hit the button you were programming 2 or 3 times, and then it would take the program and the door would start going. I don't think hitting the button in the vehicle multiple times was in the manual, I can't remember where I found that tip, but it worked for me.
Old 01-08-15, 11:15 AM
NTH
Instructor

Received 150 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by IanB2
For sure, hit me up. From memory, the programming process was a 2 person affair, one to hit the button on the opener box (required a ladder for me), and another to hit the button in the vehicle. You had to hit the button you were programming 2 or 3 times, and then it would take the program and the door would start going. I don't think hitting the button in the vehicle multiple times was in the manual, I can't remember where I found that tip, but it worked for me.
I just did these very steps several weeks ago. You hit the learn button on the opener then go inside the truck push the button 3x. It is in the manual.
Old 01-08-15, 07:57 PM
GreatHim
Rookie

water damaged the wire harness, the dealer was able to clean/save/salvage the harness but the ECU/M is shorted, anytime there is power applied to it there is a consistent 2amp draw... needs a new ECU/M. so for a grand total of $1780 i will have a new ECU/M installed and programmed and water leak sourced i will have my rig back on monday. i might end up having Lexus go ahead and replace the windshield if that turns out to be where the leak is coming from(i highly suspect this is the case).

at that point i will be taking that to the dealer we bought it from and asking for them to cover half. if they hesitate i will just go after them for the full amount and disrupt a large portion of their customer base... -they are right of a military post and i will do everything in my power to make sure none of my soldiers ever buys a vehicle from them and if i have to post flyers on every bulletin board on post i will. -the dealer admitted that thats where at least 1/3 of the customers are from. and JAG is always big about soldiers being ripped off by businesses around posts. there is no way this dealer could not have known about the water leak. i had the car for one day and had a water leak in a light rain... they knew it had a electrical draw/drain, and told me it was someplace no where near that. i even told the Lexus dealer what the other dealer told me when i bought it, they checked and double checked their claim and could not find anything. i think the first dealer was just full of it and knew it.
Old 01-15-15, 08:53 PM
GreatHim
Rookie

$2300 later and i have my GX back. new ECU, wire harness repaired/cleaned up, and a new windshield. tonight i installed my HID kit, im gonna upgrade to 5500k bulbs. my 4500k ones are a little yellow still if you ask me, no visual difference between them and my halogen fogs.

Quick Reply: new GX owner here, coming from a 4runner, have a few questions