GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Entire car turns off...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-15, 11:52 AM
gxrunner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Entire car turns off...

Hi Guys,

I have read CL on and off for a few years and finally had to make an account to get your thoughts on an issue I'm having. I have a 1st gen GX 470 ('08)and it started giving me some battery issues. I got the battery replaced with a new one but by morning the battery seemed to have died.

I had to jumpstart the battery and as I let the car sit for a few minutes the entire car started to slowly turn off. And I mean the dashboard slowly started to flicker and fade away and pressing the accelerator revved the engine a little but the engine slowly ceased responding as well. If I attempt to start it now, the car doesn't respond and would have to jumpstart it again. I've never heard or seen of any similar issue and feels like a serious problem.

Does anyone have thoughts or ideas on what is going on with this GX? Certain components that might not be responding? Is the entire car flat out dead? I plan on taking it to the dealer/service shop and have them start their process once I get time in next few days
Old 08-10-15, 11:54 AM
470SNC
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you replace your alternator? If it's not your alternator, something might be causing an electrical draw. Do you have aftermarket stereo or nav?
Old 08-10-15, 12:03 PM
gxrunner
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 470SNC
Did you replace your alternator? If it's not your alternator, something might be causing an electrical draw. Do you have aftermarket stereo or nav?

Hey 470SNC, I have not replaced the alternator but I did replace the water pump/timing belt and had services and timely oil changes done on it. Do you know roughly how much it would cost to get alternator replaced with labor (or how many hrs it would take for this job)?

Don't have any aftermarket stero or nav installed (or any aftermarket equipment, for that matter).

Are the issues I described above a common result of a bad alternator?

Thanks for your quick reply!
Old 08-10-15, 12:16 PM
470SNC
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yup not sure on cost, but I'm going to bet that is your problem. Had the same thing happen to me on my old FJC and it was the alternator that was the culprit
Old 08-11-15, 06:29 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 752 Likes on 616 Posts

If the battery ran down overnight, that indicates a pretty severe parasitic drain. Make sure all the lights go off when you lock it.

If it ran down over several days while/as you were driving it, that indicates it wasn't being charged, and you should look at the alternator.

In addition, check for loose connections on the large wires going into the fuseboxes. Both positive and ground.

Chip H.
Old 08-11-15, 05:49 PM
GreggyG
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

It sounds like the alternator to me. The cost is between $500-650 depending on if it's a rebuilt unit or a new unit.
Old 09-09-15, 09:29 AM
gxrunner
Driver School Candidate

Update:

Indeed the alternator was out. cost me $600 for parts and labor. then all the dashboard lights stayed on so fuse had to be replaced which cost me 170 for parts and labor. service dept suck your money long and hard.
Old 09-16-15, 08:07 AM
gabyg0621
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gxrunner
Hi Guys,

I have read CL on and off for a few years and finally had to make an account to get your thoughts on an issue I'm having. I have a 1st gen GX 470 ('08)and it started giving me some battery issues. I got the battery replaced with a new one but by morning the battery seemed to have died.

I had to jumpstart the battery and as I let the car sit for a few minutes the entire car started to slowly turn off. And I mean the dashboard slowly started to flicker and fade away and pressing the accelerator revved the engine a little but the engine slowly ceased responding as well. If I attempt to start it now, the car doesn't respond and would have to jumpstart it again. I've never heard or seen of any similar issue and feels like a serious problem.

Does anyone have thoughts or ideas on what is going on with this GX? Certain components that might not be responding? Is the entire car flat out dead? I plan on taking it to the dealer/service shop and have them start their process once I get time in next few days
The exact same thing started happening to me. The entire truck shut down in the middle of traffic. I took it in for the first time on 8/24/15 and they told me they could not find anything wrong with it, and that I needed to drive it more. A few days later same thing. Triple A jumped started it 5 times after that and finally I had them replace the battery. A few days later the same thing. I took it back to Lexus (visit #2) and they told me the Alternator was fried. Over $1000 to get that fixed. GUESS WHAT? Four days later, while driving, the entire panel lit up then went black. My 2006 GX470 flatlined in the middle of a major road( We were almost hit several times!). It was towed back to Lexus for a THIRD visit last Thursday. Monday I was told that my brand new Triple A battery was bad (AAA said B.S.) Today I was told that it was the amplifiers that were frying everything, so they disconnected everything and the car has been starting fine. SOOOO did I need all of those new batteries and an new alternator? Only the Lexus Gods know the truth. I will be picking my car up tomorrow minus sound for my radio. $1,234 for that. NO thanks. I would love to know why it took three visits and a near death traffic experience to figure all of this out! Good luck!