GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

buying my first GX - rear ride quality question

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-15, 08:59 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default buying my first GX - rear ride quality question

I tested the 04 GX470 with 130k, everything seems ultra smooth. I took it to some rough back roads I feel like the rear hits bumpstop sometimes if I drive too fast, or maybe just a characteristics of a truck.

I feel the ride could be better is that indication of the rear pneumatic air spring needs replacement? I looked at all 4 shocks with no signs of leaks. The shocks seems even more expensive than the bags so I wanted to make sure the shocks are not (obviously) blown.
The air control go up and down. The comfort **** with the shock icon is pointing at 12 o clock not sure what that does. Salesman was getting a bit peeved I was taking so long I checked out 90% of the car everywhere.

I am going to buy this truck anyway since I had expected needing about $1-$2k to replace shocks and air spring if needed, I mean, it will eventually be needed on any GX.

history of this one..
The car was always maintained by the dealer up to the last minute, even small items like battery. Looking at the odometer readings I guess during the last routine oil change he traded it in and never drove it home! Nothing indicates any shocks was replaced like I have seen some GX. There was one customer concern about the height not returning when turning off. No mention of transfer case leaks. Radiator replaced right at 90k, timing belt and water pump 110k. But the transmission and brakes etc all got flushed last year (looks like the first trans service at this miles), oh well. One 13,0000 mile gap between oil change at the dealer. Reports always "customer states the maintenance light is on" so I am guessing that oil change was just done at another place. I think the last report during this last oil change was CV boots leaking (which I verified) I not sure what the estimate they got from dealer probably over $1.2K to fix and I guess that prompted the trade in.

That's about the best one I picked out with the "best" history and the price is right. It's also a base model and no nav I wanted for double DIN upgrade later. It got auctioned and I am picking it up from a used car dealer. If he would just stop keeping driving it everywhere (already put 1500 miles on it) because he really likes it too, lol. He doesn't know what was done except it was one owner but I know more to my advantage.

Overall I really like my GX driving experience I feel like this is almost a collectable / must own kind of car.
Old 08-18-15, 09:31 AM
GXArch
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had my GX470 for a couple days now. I too noticed that the rear suspension seems to bottom out when going over speed bumps.

My shocks are not leaking and the air suspension is in good shape. It may just be how the system is designed? I'm not sure, someone with more experience will hopefully chime in.

Congrats on finding a nice GX, you will love it.
Old 08-18-15, 09:58 AM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GXArch
I have had my GX470 for a couple days now. I too noticed that the rear suspension seems to bottom out when going over speed bumps.

My shocks are not leaking and the air suspension is in good shape. It may just be how the system is designed? I'm not sure, someone with more experience will hopefully chime in.

Congrats on finding a nice GX, you will love it.
Which mode are you guys in when you felt the rear bottom out? Comfort/Comfort-Sport/Sport mode?
Old 08-18-15, 10:05 AM
GXArch
Driver School Candidate

Ride height - neutral
Full sport mode
Old 08-18-15, 10:16 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Mine was on normal.
Any car can bottom out and hit bumpstop over large pot holes or large elevation bump.
It was happening a little more easy and jarring than I expected,
it could be the shocks worn or the bags.

GXArch - how did you know the air bag is not leaking.
Old 08-18-15, 11:17 AM
GXArch
Driver School Candidate

you can spray them down with a soap/water solution and look for air bubbles. But I had PPI performed and they said the air suspension was in good shape.

Also, I do not hear the pump running all the time, as it would if the air bags had a leak.
Old 08-18-15, 01:14 PM
gnhumad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2005 with 98k and mine will hit the bump stops over some speed bumps and certain road irregularities with humps. It has done so for several years. I can't remember how soon after I bought it new that I first noticed it. The airbags don't leak and it rides study during normal cruising. I figure everything is ok as long as it remains level when parked overnight and the compressor does not run and it does not have and prolonged bouncing while driving. The ride is smoother than our new RX350 F Sport.
Old 08-18-15, 07:44 PM
NTH
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Its normal. The GX is truck based body on frame with live rear axle. If you hit a sharp bump just right with both tires at the same time you'll feel a jarring in the rear. You shouldn't feel any jarring if both rears go over a smooth bump.
Old 08-18-15, 08:31 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

I got a chance to seat in the back its a little rough at times but just difference then a car. Not bouncy or anything. Wife says it is fine so that's what matters

I am curious what the height adjustment is for, while not off road do I ever what it to go high?
When do I want low?
Old 08-18-15, 09:03 PM
jcunc05
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can only go like under 15 mph with your height adjusted on low or high. You probably want that if maybe you get stuck in snow and the extra height will get you unstuck?!?
Old 08-19-15, 09:43 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

If you feel it bottoming out and the rear air bag/springs have never been replaced, I think it's very likely they are on their way out. That's how mine started, once replaced, that stopped. It would slam hard after say a really minor speed bump going around 5mph. The GX doesn't have a traditional truck ride, it's actually quite smooth and luxurious when it's working properly. I also own a Lexus LS sedan and I would say the ride is very close to that.

Regardless, I would count on doing the rear air springs while you own it and budget accordingly. At 11 years old and 130k miles, I think it's inevitable that they will be replaced on your watch. Mine went out at around 90k miles and it was not ridden hard by any means.

It started out just doing odd things like sometimes being a bit lower in the rear after being parked or coming down hard after a speed bump, etc. Then one day it just completely lost all pressure and was basically undrivable.
Old 08-20-15, 09:31 AM
coloboardi
Rookie

I just replaced my leaking air-springs about a month ago and I still hit the bump stops over train tracks, etc. I'm thinking it's the shocks that are the cause of this issue.
Old 08-20-15, 10:12 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 169 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by coloboardi
I just replaced my leaking air-springs about a month ago and I still hit the bump stops over train tracks, etc. I'm thinking it's the shocks that are the cause of this issue.
i know, its all so complicated, air springs, height sensors, resovoir solenoids, shocks....its a money pit....but the truck rides so nice when its all working....
Old 08-20-15, 10:59 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Today I tried out the comfort setting, softer and sport 1 definitely worked or has an effect, put back to normal though for our use of this truck unless we are on something like hwy1 I think sport would be helpful for the body roll.

Now I figure out why the OEM shocks are super expensive. They can be adjusted by this ****.