GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Towing Option

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-03, 06:09 AM
Kbach
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Towing Option

I notice on eBay a Toyota OEM 2 inch hitch receiver for a 4Runner or GX470. I did not get the receiver provided when I picked up my GX. Did anyone else have it provided as part of the option or do you have to buy it seperately? Not that I'll use it, but if it's suppose to be included, I'll be asking for one. The receiver cover wasn't on when we picked it up either, but they mailed me one.
Old 04-07-03, 10:17 PM
tcesario
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not sure about the terminology regarding exactly what all the parts are called, but I did get a seperate cardboard box, which I think is the receiver that you mention. The box is labeled "Ball Mount Assy - 4Runner/GX470" and has a Toyota part number on it. The salesperson didn't make any comments about it, so I don't think he was doing me any favor by giving it to me (or I am sure I would have heard about "how he's helping me out" or something by giving it to me....)

Hope this helps!
Tony
Old 04-08-03, 02:20 PM
Kbach
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info. I'll check with my dealer to see why I didn't have a receiver in my truck.
Old 04-08-03, 04:34 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default I got it too

Same cardboard box, Toyota markings etc. It is now in my garage where I am sure it will sit until I need it and then won't be able to find it....
Old 08-12-04, 09:00 PM
etexmatt
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: I got it too

Originally posted by Knicksfan
Same cardboard box, Toyota markings etc. It is now in my garage where I am sure it will sit until I need it and then won't be able to find it....
I purchased my GX470 July 30, Towing package, receiver hitch w/rubber cover and a small box that
contains a ball mount hitch. It is the thing that you mount the ball into, insert into the receiver hitch which is bolted/welded to the frame either at the factory or after market, e.g., Reese, Drawtite, etc. This type of
setup would be good for a very small, lite utility or boat trailer. To tow a travel trailer or big boat trailer, you will need to get a "weight distribution" hitch. I have purchased an "Equalizer 4-point" hitch to tow my travel
trailer which I pick up next week.

I hope this helps.
Larry

Last edited by etexmatt; 08-12-04 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-12-04, 09:20 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by tcesario
I am not sure about the terminology regarding exactly what all the parts are called, but I did get a seperate cardboard box, which I think is the receiver that you mention. The box is labeled "Ball Mount Assy - 4Runner/GX470" and has a Toyota part number on it.

Hope this helps!
Tony
Attached Thumbnails Towing Option-ballhitch.jpg  
Old 08-13-04, 02:15 PM
SacKen
Driver

Default Re: Re: I got it too

Originally posted by etexmatt
... To tow a travel trailer or big boat trailer, you will need to get a "weight distribution" hitch. I have purchased an "Equalizer 4-point" hitch to tow my travel trailer which I pick up next week....
I purchased my GX in Feb `04. The label on my hitch has the same rating, 6500 lbs, for both load-bearing and weight-distributing. So using a weight-distributor wouldn't buy me anything. Did they change the hitch that they deliver to require a weight distributed setup to reach 6500 lbs?
Old 08-14-04, 08:59 PM
etexmatt
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Re: Re: I got it too

Originally posted by SacKen
I purchased my GX in Feb `04. The label on my hitch has the same rating, 6500 lbs, for both load-bearing and weight-distributing. So using a weight-distributor wouldn't buy me anything. Did they change the hitch that they deliver to require a weight distributed setup to reach 6500 lbs?
Hi SACKEN: Re the hitch as delivered on a GX 470. If you wish to tow a very small utility or boat trailer,
you can use the "Ball Mount" supplied with the car. This would be considered a "Weight Bearing" hitch.
In the GX's specs, you should find that the Max TONGUE weight rating for this type of towing is 730#.
Also, if you use a "Weight Distrubuting" hitch, then the Max Tounge weight = 1095#. Even though very
important, the real problem when towing a heavier trailer with a weight bearing hitch is that you will be placing too much weight on the rear axle, tires, etc., and the front will lift off the ground causing poor handing, premature tire faliure at the least. Lastly, I am not sure what you mean by your statement "setup to reach 6500#". The Max Gross Trailer Weight (if you want to stay within the limits of the GX) is 6500#.
BTW: A good weight distributing hitch rated at 5000 to 7000# runs around $300 to $600 new.
Old 08-14-04, 11:51 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Re: I got it too

I have purchased an "Equalizer 4-point" hitch to tow my travel trailer which I pick up next week.
Attached Thumbnails Towing Option-equalizer.jpg  
Old 08-17-04, 01:26 PM
SacKen
Driver

Hi SACKEN: Re the hitch as delivered on a GX 470. If you wish to tow a very small utility or boat trailer,
you can use the "Ball Mount" supplied with the car. This would be considered a "Weight Bearing" hitch.
In the GX's specs, you should find that the Max TONGUE weight rating for this type of towing is 730#.
Also, if you use a "Weight Distrubuting" hitch, then the Max Tounge weight = 1095#. Even though very
important, the real problem when towing a heavier trailer with a weight bearing hitch is that you will be placing too much weight on the rear axle, tires, etc., and the front will lift off the ground causing poor handing, premature tire faliure at the least. Lastly, I am not sure what you mean by your statement "setup to reach 6500#". The Max Gross Trailer Weight (if you want to stay within the limits of the GX) is 6500#.
BTW: A good weight distributing hitch rated at 5000 to 7000# runs around $300 to $600 new.
Ahhhh yes... the tongue weight! I know what the different type is for, but for some reason my memory thought that the label on the hitch showed the max tongue weight not changing either. Which is why I was confused. I just went and checked and it shows (tow/tongue) weight-bearing 6500/650 and weight-distributing 6500/975.