GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

First New To Me Gx 470 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-15, 07:41 PM
HaywardLex
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default First New To Me Gx 470 Questions

Just bought a 2005 GX 470 with 130K on it. Got it from the original owner who had all the service records (done at Lexus dealer) including timing belt at 92K. But after doing a bunch of reading on this site I have a few questions. (1) Only got 1 master key with remote - he lost the other. I did get a valet key and the key blade in the holder. Someone did give him a master remote from a GX 470 they had but had sold. Can I get a new blade and have it cut and programmed to work in mine ? He gave it to me and said that the dealer could make it work ? Correct me if I'm wrong, but programming from the master key I have is possible but requires 2 steps 1 for the imboelizer an another for the remote buttons and as for now that seems a little bit complicated. I've done it for remotes on GM and Ford before, but that was pretty simple.
(2) The rear cargo net that goes across the back is missing the stud (on the drivers side). He said the hook thing must have vibrated off of the threads and he found that laying on the floor, but the stud that it screws on to is gone. I had a long stud to fit the hook **** but there doesn't seem to be a hole to thread it in. I'm thinking that there must be a hook or something on the end of that stud to hook into the body after it goes through the interior plastic. Can anyone tell me what I need to do for a stud - does the dealer have the parts ?
Thanks in advance for any help, this site has a lot of great information
Old 08-31-15, 11:38 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 90 Posts

The first question i'm not sure about, but yes, the cargo hooks are two separate pieces. There's the actual plastic hook on the outside, then there is a small metal bolt with a flat head that locks into the back of the plastic panel once its screwed in. I imagine your original one is laying somewhere behind the trim panel.

I don't have the part number handy, but the kit to replace them is just a few bucks at the dealer.
Old 09-01-15, 07:16 AM
HaywardLex
Rookie

So it just like a regular headed bolt that only goes thru the plastic ? I guess I thought that wouldn't be strong enough. I have a bolt that size and could put a fender washer on it. My wife was able to get her hand up in there when I was checking for a hole in the frame area to screw the stud in - I'll give it a try first. I live in Northern Wisconsin and have to drive to Minneapolis to get to my nearest dealer. Checked with the local locksmiths up here and none of them can cut me a key, so it's either the internet or a trip to Mpls for the key.
Old 09-01-15, 01:13 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

It's a stud that sticks out of the plastic panel and it sort of spins around without the hook part (at least mine does) but once you thread on the cargo hook it clamps it in place, mine was loose and the hook was on the floor somewhere, you can replace it with a regular bolt I bet and won't work any worse than this setup.

My GX comes with 1 key hold together by super glue. At least it is a master key or it will get expensive.
If you got another key here is what you need to do, order the a shell from myLparts, they will cut it for you just send them your registration of info. So you have a new shell that turns the ignition now, open the other master key just 1 small screw and put in the 3 button gut into your new shell. Then you will have to ask the local Lexus dealer, they will want anything from $25-$75 to program this 2nd key for you. Don't worry about the buttons, they will also program it for you. (not a bad idea to 1 more shell to swap into your working key too, just in case)

I wouldn't even go to the locksmith, it is too much work and the keys from myLparts is Lexus OEM (Denso) not a replica. Some also bought the software to program their own keys, to me that's too much work.

I spent $35 for a new shell and $100 for a new master key and $25 for a valet, the dealer programmed the valet key at the same time. The gut went to new shell. It was like $200 to fix this issue but now I have 3 working keys that isn't split in half at any moment,
Old 09-01-15, 02:20 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 748 Likes on 612 Posts

There's three parts involved in the keys that you care about.
1. The blade
2. The remote transmitter
3. The receiver in the car

You can get the blade cut to match your car by giving your VIN and proof of ownership to any dealer (such as MyLParts). When you get that back, move the transmitter module over to the new key body -- you'll need a small Philips head screwdriver. Then take the key to the dealer and ask them to program the receiver to recognize it.

I had to replace the plastic part of the cargo hook. Turns out it's part of the net kit. Pretty sure the part number is 62579. From an earlier thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...free-part.html

Chip H.
Old 09-01-15, 04:44 PM
HaywardLex
Rookie

Got the cargo hook fixed, used a 1" bolt with an oversize washer - had the wife reach up thru the jack compartment and put it thru the hole while I screwed on the plastic hook - sure glad see has small arms and hands. NO way I could reach in there. Not really sure what to do about the key yet but thanks so much for all the help and ideas.
I've put on a couple hundred miles on the GX over the past few days and everything works, although I haven't got all the buttons figured out - this thing has many things you can play with I feel like I could be going to the moon. The ride and handling are impressive for an SUV
Old 03-13-16, 10:01 AM
memokc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HaywardLex
Got the cargo hook fixed, used a 1" bolt with an oversize washer - had the wife reach up thru the jack compartment and put it thru the hole while I screwed on the plastic hook - sure glad see has small arms and hands. NO way I could reach in there. Not really sure what to do about the key yet but thanks so much for all the help and ideas.
I've put on a couple hundred miles on the GX over the past few days and everything works, although I haven't got all the buttons figured out - this thing has many things you can play with I feel like I could be going to the moon. The ride and handling are impressive for an SUV
HaywardLex, I have an extra Lexus cargo net I will give you, if you still need one? Just let me know where to send it to and I will get it in the mail to you.
Old 03-13-16, 12:46 PM
fay31
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On mine I had ordered a blade & shell, but had not pursued anything else for months.

Pulled into a gas station one day and the guy filling up next to me was in a locksmith truck. I asked if he could cut it. He said of course only takes a minute, $5 per blade, $7 for two & you can test them instantly.

Worked perfect!

Then just swapped my guts from other shell. At a minimum, I learned no reason to go to dealer.

Last edited by fay31; 03-13-16 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-13-16, 08:06 PM
HaywardLex
Rookie

Thanks guys, I already had the cargo net that came with the GX, and just needed the stud for the hook - that I fixed, but thanks for the offer of the net. Keys I was able to get that done from a mobile locksmith for a really good price, much cheaper than the dealership. I needed to replace the hood struts after we got some cold weather and was able to buy them on Ebay, installation took about 15 minutes.
About the only thing I'll need is new tires in about 10K and possibly a new windshield down the road as mine has some pits, otherwise I haven't had any issues and really like the ride and handling of the GX. Gas mileage could be better, but I knew that when I bought it.