GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

'04 Gx

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-03 | 08:24 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default '04 Gx

Those of you anxiously awaiting the '04 GX's in the hopes that they change the back door or add HID's...forget it. My wife (who works for Lexus) was speaking to a factory rep..told him we were planning on getting one blah-blah-blah...he says why not get a factory demo it'll be cheaper, the guys that work with her laughed...you obviously don't know Johnny Mo...he wants what he wants and a fcatory demo ain't gonna cut it. She proceeds to go into details of what I want and my dislikes of the '03 - I have major issues with the rear door and the HID's (also I would've like 8" wide rims, but that's just me, I may go after market anyway), so he looks in his little book and shakes his head...door absolutely not changing a) too expensive to change the line, and b) people love it. (this shocked me, I was like " who are these guys talking to that like this??????" Tell him to go onto CL he'll se what car people want...people who KNOW what they are talking about. 2) and more disappointing...no I'll go out on a limb and say inexcusable on a $50K luxury vehicle NO HIDS.

Oh, and I don't wanna hear any crap about they're too high and it blinds other drivers, they come on Range Rovers and and the Bimmers, as well as the Escalade, all as high or higher than the GX. And as far as blinding other drivers go, next time you are in your Japanese vehicle take a good hard look from the driver's seat at the light output pattern...ever notice that the driver's side looks like it has the left most far corner cut out of it...that's because it does.

I'm sorry but who's paying for this vehicle me or the guy coming at me in opposing traffic, becasue when I'm all alone on the road, I want to be able to see that deer shooting out into the road in front of me for the precious extra 50 ft that may allow me to avoid crashing.

I know I kind of got my hopes up because in 98 when the GS came out it didn't have HID's, but they were available in April 99, I was afraid with the GX they would do the same, and I'd be stuck with an early '04 GX while the others coming out later would have HIDS.

Anyway I wish I had better news to report and sorry for the rant (I've been a bit on edge this week). So, I guess I'll still be getting my '04, just maybe not as excited about it anymore.
Old 04-05-03 | 09:09 PM
rbridges
Driver School Candidate

I wish they'd give the engine a little more horsepower! 235 hp is a little anemic for an SUV. Oh well, that's why man invented superchargers.
Old 04-06-03 | 12:53 AM
Arvin
Rookie

I like the back door. Before the GX, we had a 03 Navigator that can't open the back hatch door in the garage because it will hit the ceiling. The GX's back door is a much better design IMO.

yea, I agree GX should have HID like every other Lexus. also it needs rear parking acid from the LS or the rear view camera from the RX.

Last edited by Arvin; 04-06-03 at 01:09 AM.
Old 04-06-03 | 01:53 PM
w4rjd
Pole Position

My 4'11" wife loves the rear door. I would lik the have the HIDs
Old 04-06-03 | 07:49 PM
177mph
Pole Position

Here are the issues with my GX:

1. Gear whine from the rear diff at 75mph (yep - I followed all the break in procedures)
2. vibration thru the steering wheel and gas pedal at 65-70mph in 5th gear (not the wheels or tires - it's a drivetrain problem - yes, I'm sure)
3. DVD player makes a high pitched noise when not in use. The only way to get rid of the noise is to take the DVD out of there. You wont hear it when driving but you will when youre idling.
4. "the lexus link system is active". Yes - I know. Now shut up!! It should say: "You paid 1000 dollars for a service you'll likely never use, sucker"
5. RX330 already has better features (rear camera, parking assist, etc) Argh!

I still like the truck - but the noise and vibration are getting to me. It just shouldnt be that way. When I go in for the 5k service, they're gonna hear from me.
Old 04-07-03 | 06:06 AM
AWilmit
Rookie

I agree that there is some kind of driveline issued with this truck. At 1,700 RPM and up, the driveline is pretty harsh -- it vibrates from the gas pedal up to steering wheel. Its not the worst problem in the world (kind of like a buzz through the driveline), but it is unacceptable in this class. Hopefully this problem can be fixed. My car goes in for its 1,000 mile service on Friday, so I will talk to the dealer about it.

Speaking to annoying things in this truck, there should be a way to get rid of the need to touch "I Agree" on the NAV system every time the truck is started (I understand this isn’t a GX issue, but rather a Lexus/Denso NAV issue). I would gladly sign something releasing Lexus, Denso or anyone else in the manufacturing process for responsibility for any accidents I cause because I am transfixed by the NAV screen while I am driving. This is easily the most over-lawyered nonsense I have ever seen, and Lexus should be embarrassed. Why not have you push some button every time you start the car releasing Lexus from liability if you get in an accident because you are talking on a cell phone while driving, or putting on makeup, or doing anything else but paying attention to driving (I will also agree that the system may not be perfect and could get me lost). While they are at it, I could be forced to release the radio manufacturer for responsibility for hearing loss if I listen to my radio too loud. And what about the CD manufacturer, I could release it for getting in an accident if I am trying to change a CD while I am driving. The long footnote about the NAV system in the GX brochure was bad enough, but the "I Agree" button takes risk aversion at the expense of customer satisfaction to a new level. This should be an easy software fix on the NAV system and should be put in place as soon as possible. Note to Lexus, neither BMW nor, as far as I know, any other car manufacturer, seems to think these kind of disclaimers are worth bothering customers with. Really, between the "Lexus Link is Active" voice and the "I Agree" on the NAV system, you would think Lexus did research to see how best to annoy its customers on a daily basis and then put the resulting game plan into action.
Old 04-07-03 | 02:12 PM
modelaford
Driver

Thumbs down

Two things I also hate are 1. Drone or vibration at 1700-2200 RPM. 2. You cannot lock the suspention in the full down position, as soon as you start going 25mph is automatically comes back to neutral position, which is a PITA to have to lower it to access cargo before shuting engine off. I have called my dealer about the noise at 1700-2200 and they say there is no bullitan or factory notice on this.
Old 04-07-03 | 04:32 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

My issues are:

The I agree is fine, IF YOU ARE GOING TO NAVIGATION. I believe other NAV units have it as well. BUT if you leave the system at the Climate Control, or Audio setting, come back to NAV every time I start the vehicle. I could live with I Agree, everytime I use the NAV during one drive setting, but everytime I start the Car is annoying due to the software thinking I want to go back to Nav every time. I have reported this one.

Nav Voice Guidance (where the lady talks). This is particularly annoying because not only does the unit not remember the volume setting every time you start the car, it also has a setting called voice guide Off which is broken, does not work.

I have not noticed the drive train noisy problem, sorry all.

Wind sheer is a bit too crazy

Lexus Link system is active, is beyond annoying, and very embarrasing when you have guests in the car.

The transmission shifts twice into drive (two significant clunks) after being in reverse when the engine/transmission are cold. This I don't like.

I wish the trip computer was integrated into the display and the temp was always visible on the display.

I wish the climate control had an automatic smog detection which switches the air intake to recyle like my GS400 does.

I wish the rear had rain sensing wipers.

Lowering the suspension once in Park, or after you turn off the key would be very nice. While driving I can see why its not done, it is possible testing has not been completed, or the vehicle is not suspension or handling tuned for in the low position.

The NAV has another bug that if you need to delete a destination while driving you can do so, BUT if you have more than one route in your destination, you cannot delete any of them. The buttons to do so are disabled, and no button toe DELETE ALL exists. The only solution is to completely stop the car.
Old 04-08-03 | 07:53 AM
raybeck
Rookie

Default Rear Door

I am really liking the way the rear door opens, didn't think I would at first, but I do. I do hate the annoying "The Lexus Link System is now Active". If you could just turn the volume down it would be nice. I have not had any vibrating or other problems some of you mention, that heaven. I have almost 4,500 miles on mine and only had it 2 months. Handles very nicely and plenty of power for us. HID's would be nice, but I'm not hung up on it. Rear assist would be nice, too, but I do like the way the rear view mirrors on the outside tilt down when going in reverse, that is most helpful to me. My biggest compaint, however is I have the Sand Dollar Pearl and the paint job it not seeming to be too swell. Have about a 4 to 5" spot where the clearcoat has started to peel. Can't imagine why. It is only washed by hand and not in car wash, so am anxious to take it in and see what the deal is. Otherwise, I love my GX.
Old 04-08-03 | 02:42 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Rear Door

You can turn the volume down on the Lexus Link. I believe the buttons are labeled as + and -. When you press them, you should hear a tone everytime you go up and down with the volume.

The problem is if the airbags deploy, LL is supposed to call you and ask if you are OK. If the volume is down, this defeats the purpose.

Originally posted by raybeck
I am really liking the way the rear door opens, didn't think I would at first, but I do. I do hate the annoying "The Lexus Link System is now Active". If you could just turn the volume down it would be nice. I have not had any vibrating or other problems some of you mention, that heaven. I have almost 4,500 miles on mine and only had it 2 months. Handles very nicely and plenty of power for us. HID's would be nice, but I'm not hung up on it. Rear assist would be nice, too, but I do like the way the rear view mirrors on the outside tilt down when going in reverse, that is most helpful to me. My biggest compaint, however is I have the Sand Dollar Pearl and the paint job it not seeming to be too swell. Have about a 4 to 5" spot where the clearcoat has started to peel. Can't imagine why. It is only washed by hand and not in car wash, so am anxious to take it in and see what the deal is. Otherwise, I love my GX.
Old 04-08-03 | 03:51 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Default Nav annoyances

just a quick response/comment on the Nav "I agree" function - this feature is also required in BMW and Land Rover. my sister just got an X5 with the new DVD-based nav system (they were/are so far behind Lexus technology), and there is a similar disclaimer that you have to agree to.

same with my brother-in-law's '01 Range Rover.

yes, i wish we all could have signed a lengthly release of liability when we purchased our cars, but oh well. "I agree" seems to be standard in the industry now. just be thankful that at least our Lexus Nav systems are touch screen and you don't have to use some small crappy dial **** to scroll through 5 or 6 buttons to select "I agree" !!
Old 04-08-03 | 06:15 PM
raybeck
Rookie

Default Thanks

Hey thanks for the info on the volume of the Lexus Link message! I am going out to turn her down right now. I don't really mind that is says it, but it is so dang loud, that's what annoys me! Can't wait to see if I can turn her down.