GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Nav GPS Update - Worth It ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-15, 10:06 PM
HaywardLex
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Nav GPS Update - Worth It ?

Just bought a new to me 2005 GX 470 and was wondering if the GPS is worth the update. I have a Garmin with the lifetime maps that I've have had for a while that works great but being the GX comes with the Nav I was thinking I might do the update to version 14.1. Is there someone who has this update that can give me a little feedback on how accurate it might be. After using the one that it came with I've found that it is not very good - it doesn't even show the road I live on and I've been here since 1989. I've had 2 different Garmins and even the first one I purchased in 2002 shows my road. I'd really be pissed off if I bought the update and it didn't show the road I live on. My son has a Jeep and his Nav system updates itself so I was a little surprised that Lexus still uses a CD disc. I was wondering if even the new 2015 GX still uises the CD's
Old 09-24-15, 07:20 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 524 Likes on 436 Posts

Even with current maps, you're still dealing with a 10 year old nav system. Stick with your Garmin IMO.
Old 09-24-15, 07:22 AM
techrep
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HaywardLex
Just bought a new to me 2005 GX 470 and was wondering if the GPS is worth the update. I have a Garmin with the lifetime maps that I've have had for a while that works great but being the GX comes with the Nav I was thinking I might do the update to version 14.1. Is there someone who has this update that can give me a little feedback on how accurate it might be. After using the one that it came with I've found that it is not very good - it doesn't even show the road I live on and I've been here since 1989. I've had 2 different Garmins and even the first one I purchased in 2002 shows my road. I'd really be pissed off if I bought the update and it didn't show the road I live on. My son has a Jeep and his Nav system updates itself so I was a little surprised that Lexus still uses a CD disc. I was wondering if even the new 2015 GX still uises the CD's
The newer NAV systems do not use CD's
Old 09-24-15, 08:59 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Just bought a 2015 garmin with lifetime update for $150
It is really responsive unlike the ones from few years ago.. it blows away any factory nav imo.. and the point of interests are pretty good. Faster than searching places with phone map apps
The screen is 6" and quite big mounted next to the rearview mirror.
Old 09-24-15, 09:23 AM
HaywardLex
Rookie

Well so far it looks like I'll keep using the Garmin that I have. It does make a guy wonder though why the OEM Nav stuff is so expensive when you can buy units like the Garmin with lifetime maps for $150 and the OEM updates are twice as much and don't work as well, but guess that's the way it is. It's also the reason I'd never order the option on a new car, but then I never buy new anyway.
Old 09-24-15, 09:30 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 524 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by HaywardLex
Well so far it looks like I'll keep using the Garmin that I have. It does make a guy wonder though why the OEM Nav stuff is so expensive when you can buy units like the Garmin with lifetime maps for $150 and the OEM updates are twice as much and don't work as well, but guess that's the way it is. It's also the reason I'd never order the option on a new car, but then I never buy new anyway.
Manufacturers have a sneaky way of bundling the factory nav (almost NEVER worth the $$) with other features you may want as well, like reverse camera, Bluetooth, etc. That's how they get you!
Old 09-24-15, 09:54 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I think now every new car has reverse camera so the dilema of extra $2k "but I want the rear view camera" is no longer valid
I'm sure the Lexus Nav is over $2k option though

For our other car we got it because it was only 2k but they didn't disable entering or searching while the vehicle moves
Old 09-24-15, 11:54 AM
HaywardLex
Rookie

I can sort of understand the logic of the lock out when moving, I don't know if it's a good idea to be farting around with it when yo need to keep your eyes on the road, although if you have a passenger it eould be nice to have them be able to use it. I had my Honda in for a recall and they gave me a new 2015 CR-V to use for the day, it had the backup cam without the GPS. It also had a nice feature that when the right blinker was turned on it also turned on a cam in the side mirror. I didn't think much about it until I got back in mine and realized how nice that was. The bottom line is that the newer cars do have some nice features - but I just can't seem to plunk down that kind of money for new, and then watch it depreicate the way it does. Plus I'd be a mess every time I had to park it in a mall parking lot and come out to find a scratch or dent in it. Every time my wife and I drive a newer car and find a feature we really like we say "we'll have a car like that some day". So now I have a 2005 Lexus GX that we had said the same thing about in 2005. To me this is a great car and I really like it a lot so far. We're retired and don't put on all that many miles anymore (12K-14K a year) split between the Lexus GX and the Honda Pilot. I'm not the biggest tech guy, but will say I like and depend on the GPS when we travel - nice to find food and gas stops and not worry about missing a turn "recalculating"