GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

I'm in search of a GX!! Advice needed!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-15, 11:15 PM
Shinobiend
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm in search of a GX!! Advice needed!

Hey all!

I'm not new to Lexus' but definitely new to trucks and Series 120 cruisers. There is a local GX I'm interested in which has a 7 page detaiedl service history since the original owner on the Lexus database but within the last year I felt it was neglected

Some of the things the dealership noted was that it need new axles, brakes, rotors and a reseal of the Transfer case. Although I'm capable of addressing the axles, brakes and rotors I'm worried about the transfer case since I've read that it could be a costly repair if disassembly is needed. I don't plan to take it to the dealership but I also don't have a trusted shop to take care of the transfer car. The 2004 GX has 130k miles. Below is the most recent notes from the Lexus database.

http://s13.postimg.org/aosjdcmvb/IMG_1919.jpg
Old 09-24-15, 08:36 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

The axle boots are probably torn
Any gx could need brakes any time, as frequent as 15-20k miles
The transfer case would be a good idea to open it and replace the o ring in the actuator as well.
Opening the trnsfer case is the proper way to replace that o ring

No it is not neglected that bad! Some people just don't feel like spending $1000s at that mileage. They are probably going to sell it and declined the repair, going to the dealer up to this mileage means it had been closely looked after for everything. Its better than some owners who just keep driving it.

Its not going to stop there, I just bought 2 new axles for $650 and there the air suspension parts can get pricey, $1k compressor, $300 per sensor, $300 for bags, $500 rear shock each side. You may not need all replaced but at some point you may.
You can look into changing to springs if this scares you.
You may want to research more though, I feel you need to have extra few thousand dollars just for parts and DIY install. Just know what you are getting into.

Last edited by SC3coupe; 09-24-15 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-26-15, 09:01 AM
IndyGX
Driver School Candidate

You should negotiate that in your offer if you like it. As the other poster mentiined, the fact that there are 7 pages or records means they took it to the dealer religousliy for service...but probably decided it's time to change and not spend any more on fixing it. just for reference, and I know prices vary by region, but a 2004 with 90K miles in the midwest was traded for 11K, and resold at a lexus dealer, listed at 13,500. It did not have navigation. Another 2004 with 105K miles and pristine condition sold for 10,500 with navigation. Just a little reference info for used cars...KBB and NADA are close, but I see many people listing for more than these book values.
Old 09-29-15, 09:00 PM
Shinobiend
Rookie

Thanks for the great perspective!

Originally Posted by SC3coupe
The axle boots are probably torn
Any gx could need brakes any time, as frequent as 15-20k miles
The transfer case would be a good idea to open it and replace the o ring in the actuator as well.
Opening the trnsfer case is the proper way to replace that o ring

No it is not neglected that bad! Some people just don't feel like spending $1000s at that mileage. They are probably going to sell it and declined the repair, going to the dealer up to this mileage means it had been closely looked after for everything. Its better than some owners who just keep driving it.

Its not going to stop there, I just bought 2 new axles for $650 and there the air suspension parts can get pricey, $1k compressor, $300 per sensor, $300 for bags, $500 rear shock each side. You may not need all replaced but at some point you may.
You can look into changing to springs if this scares you.
You may want to research more though, I feel you need to have extra few thousand dollars just for parts and DIY install. Just know what you are getting into.
Old 10-01-15, 07:06 PM
Brklynkid
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just bought 2003 gx. Needed brakes tires and transfer case fix. Total cost for those fixes was 1800
Transfer case fix was done for 280 bucks with simple pull off method. Rear shocks will need to be done but I'll just switch to springs . Good Maintence history is important to me . I bought a 2005 Porsche Cayenne turbo with 139k on it with great records. It's been solid dependable car in comparison Lexus is far less picky and much cheaper to work on. Get a GX with good history and maintenance and It will last you a long time and cost you pennies on the dollar compared to buying a new one