GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Tires Michelin Vs Conti

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-15, 03:29 AM
chrtorres
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires Michelin Vs Conti

I'm asking if anyone has had experience with the Michelin LTX A/T2 tires or the Continental Cross Contact which are less expensive.

I need an all season as I don't have the option for a dedicated snow tire.

thanx
Old 11-04-15, 06:15 AM
techrep
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would go with the Michelin LTX M/S ...had a set on the old 4runner...great tire for rain/snow...smooth as silk on the dry pavement. Have duller HT's on the GX now...when they are done, they will be replaced with Michelins.
Old 11-04-15, 09:02 AM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

MICHELIN®
LTX® M/S2

The best tire. Same story here had those on my 07 4runner and Now on the GX. They are the best in all conditions. Below is the link for more info:

http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/tir...ltx-m-s-2.html
Old 11-04-15, 11:55 AM
chrtorres
Driver School Candidate

Thanx for the information - I'm leaning towards them. it's just at 200+ per tire and road force balance is a serious investment.

@ sheikhmax/techrep - Winters have been rough the past few years. I see you're both from the NorthEast in PA and VA. PA must get more snow that in Weschester county. VA maybe a tad less than NYC did last winter.

Both of you had Runners (nice), I'm in the mist of searching for a set of Runner 18inch rims, As if I spending the $$$ I might as well do wheels as well.

Have either of you used Runner 18's on your GX?
Old 11-04-15, 12:29 PM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Arrow

Not a big fan for using 18's. But did experiment on 4Runner by going 265 70R17 instead of 265 65 R17. The result was Good looks but speedometer was off to 3-4 miles and brake pads were wearing out much quicker. So keeping stock now.

We got a good bit of snow last year in Bucks County PA. These tires are Great in snow and you get very Good traction in ICY conditions as well. You will feel a great deal of difference once you change them.

So here is my experience of saving money on Michelin. They are pretty expensive. I got a quote from Costco which was around $950 with everything including. Later went to Lexus Dealer and got their price which was $1400. I asked them to Match it with Costco and they did plus gave me $100 off due to another offer.
So its good to haggle and ask to match the price whoever you plan to install tires from.
Old 11-04-15, 12:54 PM
chrtorres
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sheikhmax
Not a big fan for using 18's. But did experiment on 4Runner by going 265 70R17 instead of 265 65 R17. The result was Good looks but speedometer was off to 3-4 miles and brake pads were wearing out much quicker. So keeping stock now.

We got a good bit of snow last year in Bucks County PA. These tires are Great in snow and you get very Good traction in ICY conditions as well. You will feel a great deal of difference once you change them.

So here is my experience of saving money on Michelin. They are pretty expensive. I got a quote from Costco which was around $950 with everything including. Later went to Lexus Dealer and got their price which was $1400. I asked them to Match it with Costco and they did plus gave me $100 off due to another offer.
So its good to haggle and ask to match the price whoever you plan to install tires from.
NICE! I was just on the costco site. But having the dealer put them on and they automatically Road Force balance is a no brainer. Well played Sir, Well played.....
Old 11-05-15, 07:20 AM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Thanks Chrtorres.

Post update on your tire adventure. Good Luck.
Old 11-05-15, 10:52 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 748 Likes on 612 Posts

I have year-old LTX M/S2 and have been mostly happy with them. I only wish the wet traction was better - I have had some hydroplaning and loss of grip issues. In retrospect, I should have gone with the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred. They're noisy, but have amazing wet traction.

I think Michelin has concentrated too much on treadwear instead of grip. I'm happy with "only" a 60,000 mile tire if it keeps me on the road.

Chip H.
Old 11-05-15, 01:18 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 147 Posts

Go figure. I thought the exact opposite on the michelins. Plowed through water and held tight in the wet. I guess that's why there are choices.
Old 11-05-15, 01:43 PM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Same here. Thats why I love the deep and wide tread which channels the water out. Never felt short on Traction during wet weather and then you throw in FULL TIME 4WD.
Old 11-05-15, 07:30 PM
HaywardLex
Rookie

I've had the Michelins on 4 different SUV's with AWD and 4WD and been very happy with them in all conditions. I really like the ride and how quiet they are compared to other brands I've had. I have Michelins on my GX now and will buy them again when it's time.
Old 11-09-15, 05:46 AM
NTH
Instructor

Received 150 Likes on 113 Posts

Sheik- I'm running 265/70-17 Yokohama Geolandar now on my GX. The difference is subtle but definitely noticeable. I use an App and GPS to verify speed. I'm off by 1 mph.
Originally Posted by sheikhmax

Old 11-09-15, 08:05 AM
jdeguzman1
Driver School Candidate

I replaced stock LTX M/S with LTX A/T2 and so far so good. Definitely noisier than the M/S at barely 12,000 miles. Can't say about snow yet but will update.
Old 11-09-15, 12:20 PM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

@NTH
1 mph is not bad . My 4Runner was off by 3 mph. I also used to use Garmin GPS to check my actual speed.
Old 11-09-15, 11:01 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

LTX MS/2 with just under 50k miles on them. I'm very happy, as they're quiet and have plenty of traction for my needs (rain, snow, no ice, etc). I expect to get another 10k out of them and will replace them with the same set-up then.

Quick Reply: Tires Michelin Vs Conti