GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Did I do ok?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-15, 08:53 PM
Phil221
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I do ok?

Longtime lurker, first time poster... After months of research I pulled the trigger on an '04 with 130k for $10k, my first Toyota. The primary factor was the Lexus maintenance records, it was a single owner vehicle and they went to the dealer every 5k for oil changes and for every recommended service interval. This is a 3rd vehicle for my wife and I, I primarily plan to use it for light trail riding, surf fishing, and carting stuff back from the Depot. Aside from the interior needing a good cleanjng and a new set of front brakes, she drives super smooth for an 11 year old car. I guess my main question is did I get a decent deal? I usually would never go for a vehicle with so many miles but Toyota drivetrains seem to be in a league of their own.
Old 11-16-15, 05:28 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil221
Longtime lurker, first time poster... After months of research I pulled the trigger on an '04 with 130k for $10k, my first Toyota. The primary factor was the Lexus maintenance records, it was a single owner vehicle and they went to the dealer every 5k for oil changes and for every recommended service interval. This is a 3rd vehicle for my wife and I, I primarily plan to use it for light trail riding, surf fishing, and carting stuff back from the Depot. Aside from the interior needing a good cleanjng and a new set of front brakes, she drives super smooth for an 11 year old car. I guess my main question is did I get a decent deal? I usually would never go for a vehicle with so many miles but Toyota drivetrains seem to be in a league of their own.
Sounds like a really good deal. I paid more than that for my spotless one owner 03 with all the maintenance records from a small independent car lot, but the dude clearly knew what he was selling. Nice score! Welcome to the club!
Old 11-16-15, 05:36 AM
Phil221
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BlackCat81
Sounds like a really good deal. I paid more than that for my spotless one owner 03 with all the maintenance records from a small independent car lot, but the dude clearly knew what he was selling. Nice score! Welcome to the club!
Thanks a lot man!! I started second guessing last night and just needed a little reassurance lol
Old 11-16-15, 09:09 AM
firechanne
Driver School Candidate

Recently bought an 04 GX with 74000 miles for 14800 total. Northeast car so the rust factor was pretty scary, but this is the coolest, most capable vehicle I have owned. I would never have imagined being this pleased/excited about an 11-year-old vehicle. The dudes on this forum know their stuff, too. I have done all my own maintenance since buying in July by following the discussions. Plus it is a Toyota and the maintenance inherently makes sense compared to other brands.
Enjoy.
Old 11-16-15, 09:17 PM
Jaysmith2k
Rookie

I think you got a good deal. After selling my 2004 around 4 years ago I missed it so much that I bought a 2007 last weekend. My first GX has always been one of my favorite rigs of all time, I'm thrilled to have another one in my driveway! Super reliable!
Old 11-17-15, 06:51 AM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You did not say ... dealer or private party?

Without looking at any book value data, my seat-o-the-pants-meter says "major score!" Especially with the records and apparent good condition.

Put it this way: if that's simply reflecting typical market pricing in today's environment, none of us will ever sell our GX! They are too cool to sell for $10k or less. 😎

Congratulations and welcome to the wonderfully reliable and functional world of Toy-Lex vehicles, of which the 1st Gen GX is one of the finest examples. Another poster above states an oft-mentioned sentiment: people that have owned a lot of vehicles including exotics tend to proclaim the GX their favorite rig ever. Enjoy.
Old 11-17-15, 07:25 AM
HaywardLex
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a fair price to me. I bought a 2005 with 130K on it about a month ago for $11,500. It too was a one owner with all the service records and done at Lexus every 5K. It was a little dirty but I brought it in and had it detailed. The tires will need to be replaced in the next 10K, but so far I'm really pleased with mine. This site is wonderful for any info you need, and the members really know what they are talking about - I check the site almost every day. I bought mine from a private party after doing a bunch of reading here and it was so helpful to know what I was looking at and what to check for. Thanks so much to all the members here, you guys rock.
Old 11-17-15, 08:28 AM
chreesto
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Sounds good

Sounds like you got a good deal. I bought an 07 with 119k miles for 14900 in August. Perfect maintenance but not all at the Lexus dealer (really good indie shop for some of it). I searched for a long, long time. I'm still getting used to how awesome this vehicle is. We use it for camping (pulling a popup trailer) off-roading (mostly trails in the Gold Country/Mountains of California) and it still cleans up nicely enough to take my wife out for a night on the town. I've owned several similar vehicles and I can't think of one that is so capable while also being so versatile. It pulls a trailer just as well as it grinds over gnarly rocks, then you pull on to the highway and it's quiet, smooth and comfortable all the way home. Welcome to the club.
Old 11-17-15, 09:09 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 524 Likes on 436 Posts

I'd say you got a great deal, but where are the pics?!?
Old 11-17-15, 11:15 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

thats a good deal, its hardly got any miles on it IMO. good luck and enjoy the rig!