GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Help Me Buy- Testing Function of 4 Wheel Drive

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-15, 09:34 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 523 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by girlwstyle
Ya that's what someone else told me yesterday too...I only wanted the backup camera because I'm switching from a Volt to an SUV and parking in so cal is tight and am always worried about running someone over or hitting a car when reversing out of a spot (not to mention I don't want to back into a low pole or pony wall with my baby once I get her). That's a brillAnt idea for looking into after market backup camera and getting one without it. Any recommendations for that?
I'm partial to Pioneer for head units, but Kenwood uses Garmin for their nav, which is my preference for nav systems. Pretty hard to go wrong when comparing to a 10+ year old OEM system.
Old 12-15-15, 11:03 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 743 Likes on 607 Posts

Chip- so if the tire tread is worn differently on the front & back tires the diff is overworked? The installed tires are the OEM version..they are just worn on inside edge. Looks to be rotated recently. The spare is cracked so it's the original and needs replaced.
Yes, if the tire size difference is front-to-rear, then the center differential will be overworked.

If it's left-to-right, then the differential on that axle will be overworked.

Normally, I'd replace the spare with the best of the worn tires (driving on it a little ways to a repair shop is ok). But if the tire is 10+ years old I wouldn't even do that. I think you'll need 5 tires.

Costco has sales on Michelin every 2-3 months. It's usually enough to pay the sales tax.

Chip H.
Old 12-16-15, 04:18 PM
girlwstyle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chiph9
The broker sounds like a good approach, especially if they have access to auctions. .
Sadly I misunderstood and they do only work for new car purchases so they can't help me Back to the drawing board....I got my auto loan extended for 30 days so I'll just keep looking
Old 12-16-15, 06:31 PM
micah360
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

too bad you aren't in Denver... there's lots for sale here right now.
Old 12-16-15, 09:14 PM
mswtoyota
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Minor thread jack: Chiph9, can you explain to me how the torsen limited slip center differential can wear out from having different tire sizes? Also, aren't the open front and rear differentials being overworked every time you turn a corner? I fail to see how different tire size would/could cause a major malfunction. It appears to me that the open axle differentials are designed to take care of the difference in rotation between the right and left axle shaft, whether caused by turning a corner, or from differing tire sizes.
Old 12-17-15, 06:24 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

It's the difference between taking a corner versus going in a straight line. You go around corners somewhat rarely when driving - the vast majority of miles you put on a vehicle have it going in a straight line (not even highway miles -- in the city too). The bearings and lubrication are designed with that usage in mind.

When you have different sized tires, it's like you're going around a corner all the time. The differential works much harder, which produces more heat. This wears the bearings down faster, and exhausts the lubrication sooner.

Chip H.
Old 12-17-15, 06:58 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mswtoyota
It appears to me that the open axle differentials are designed to take care of the difference in rotation between the right and left axle shaft, whether caused by turning a corner, or from differing tire sizes.
Going around corners, yes definitely, as this is a condition that comes up only once in a while when driving. Different sized tires, no, as this is a condition that would be present all the time, causing the diff to have to compensate all the time, which will lead to premature wear.

Some cars are more prone to issues than others. It's fairly common practice on Subarus to shave a new tires to match the others in a situation where you need to replace only one tire (blowout, etc). Sucks paying extra to pre-wear your new tire, lol.
Old 12-17-15, 09:00 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

the high low light on the dash is for the suspension, not the transfer case if you were looking at that one.
I havent come across a gx or 4runner where the case didn't center lock or shift from high to low, normally if high low is broken the transfercase will be messed up and you will know when driving. Its possible for the center lock to be not working especially if someone repaired the common leak themselves incorrectly. as for the leak just look at the bottom of the case if its dry its good, if its wet its got the leak.

you dont want different size tires from left to right very long, not only is it overworked like they said, but when you have an imbalance and then turn, the diff is compensating in a larger range then its used to and can overwork that way as well. if you have to run a spare smaller tire always put it on the rear axle and get it changes as soon as possible with a regular size, its actually in the manual. Never put the smaller tire on the front axles, it messes with the steering and stopping pretty badly and is dangerous, if you have a flat in front, you shift the rear tire to the front and put the spare on the rear, well at least by the book if you have a smaller spare, same size spare you can put anywhere on the car.
Old 12-17-15, 10:51 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

I'm sure they're out there, but I haven't see a tire store yet that will shave a tire.

My sister had a Cadillac SRX at one time. Not only were the tires different sizes front & rear, but they used directional tread as well. Which meant she couldn't rotate them. When she had an alignment issue, the AWD system meant she had to buy four new tires at $250 each. Ouch.

Chip H.
Old 12-17-15, 11:20 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chiph9
I'm sure they're out there, but I haven't see a tire store yet that will shave a tire.

My sister had a Cadillac SRX at one time. Not only were the tires different sizes front & rear, but they used directional tread as well. Which meant she couldn't rotate them. When she had an alignment issue, the AWD system meant she had to buy four new tires at $250 each. Ouch.

Chip H.
Tire Rack does it for $20/tire (this was about 4 years ago now). It's common with race tires.
Old 12-17-15, 12:09 PM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sadly I misunderstood and they do only work for new car purchases so they can't help me Back to the drawing board....I got my auto loan extended for 30 days so I'll just keep looking
Well, auto broker is sort of a self-appointed term. Dealing exclusively in new cars is a choice of an individual broker or other form of auto dealer. In most states, possessing a dealer license enables a number of different possibilities for engaging in the business of automotive trade. Whether it's AutoNation, a factory brand car dealer, or one of those little used car lots with two dozen vehicles on display, or somebody who calls themselves a "broker" they all have the same access to wholesale markets and the same rights to resell at the wholesale or retail level. The term "broker" typifies a car dealer that holds little to no inventory, wherein most of their business is conducted on behalf of others; the end user sale is arranged prior to the wholesale purchase. They might have a warehouse or other facility that in no way resembles what you envision as a car dealer. In a nutshell, any automotive business that has a dealer's license could shop auctions for used cars on your behalf.

You mentioned one used car dealer that you felt had a low-pressure sales approach. Ask them if the would represent you at an auction. Or just ask around ... I have no doubt there are plenty of small dealers in the San Diego area that go to auction for a flat fee. I see dealers from there out at the Nevada auctions all the time.

Last edited by zippinbye; 12-17-15 at 12:10 PM. Reason: .