GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

refreshing the ride

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-15, 07:39 PM
stl2chi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default refreshing the ride

I am looking to refresh the overall ride of my 2005 with KDDS.
I am the original owner and it currently has 126k miles on it.

Thus far, only one front strut and a rear shock has been replaced.

I am looking to get the overall ride back to brand new.. or reasonable close to the ride..

What are some of things I should replace? Estimated price?

I was told.. at some point the springs, struts and or rubber fitting should be replaced.

Thoughts?

Anyone else done this?
Old 12-21-15, 08:52 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you want it to ride like new, then replace all struts, bushings, balljoints with OEM parts.
Old 12-26-15, 07:10 AM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just like nicktee mentioned replace all wear parts on the suspension. Using OEM parts is the only way to get factory fresh ride quality. Polyurethane bushings will last much longer and provide more control, longer tire life, but will squeak & provide a little harsher ride quality as the stock rubber will flex more. I'm bringing this to your attention because of the cost factor. It might be $500 for polyurethane or thousands for the OEM. Not sure on the 470's if you can buy just the bushings or are required to buy the whole upper/lower control arm like the LS460? Another thing to watch out for is the rear air suspension. I would hate for you to dump a bunch of money into it and have an air bag go out in the near future. These things are not cheap and will wear out eventually.

I think you need to make an evaluation of the ride quality you want versus cost. Aftermarket parts I feel, that will last longer, are going to cost considerablely less. Do your research & gather a list of parts/brands you want. Balance your expectations and budget. As for the rear airbag I have seen some good post on this form of people who have replaced this themselves at reasonable prices.

Are you going to do the work yourself or hire it out?
Old 12-30-15, 03:01 PM
Morphyne
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cruzinZ
Just like nicktee mentioned replace all wear parts on the suspension. Using OEM parts is the only way to get factory fresh ride quality. Polyurethane bushings will last much longer and provide more control, longer tire life, but will squeak & provide a little harsher ride quality as the stock rubber will flex more. I'm bringing this to your attention because of the cost factor. It might be $500 for polyurethane or thousands for the OEM. Not sure on the 470's if you can buy just the bushings or are required to buy the whole upper/lower control arm like the LS460? Another thing to watch out for is the rear air suspension. I would hate for you to dump a bunch of money into it and have an air bag go out in the near future. These things are not cheap and will wear out eventually.

I think you need to make an evaluation of the ride quality you want versus cost. Aftermarket parts I feel, that will last longer, are going to cost considerablely less. Do your research & gather a list of parts/brands you want. Balance your expectations and budget. As for the rear airbag I have seen some good post on this form of people who have replaced this themselves at reasonable prices.

Are you going to do the work yourself or hire it out?
Well one thing I would do is to always replace shocks/struts in pairs or better yet all 4 at once. Check out www.t4r.org it is a 4runner site that has an enormous amount of info on suspension work.