GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

3 recall notices

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-03, 11:26 AM
JocDoc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Label recall

I called Lexus customer service about the label recall issue. I bought my GX-470 about a month ago, and have not received a recall notice. When I spoke to Lexus today, I was told that my car wasn't part of the recall since it was made in Jan., 2003. It appears the problem is with cars manufactured prior to that time.
I would certainly expect Lexus to handle this situation quickly and equitably for all concerned. This would be a terrible problem for someone claiming the section 179 tax incentive for 2002.

Ed
Old 04-22-03, 11:40 AM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default All cars are the same

The trucks are all the same...Lexus doesn't expect to have a "fix" until the end of 2003 (according to my conversation with them yesterday)....so unless they started correctly labeling the trucks on Jan 1 (check your door label) which also doesn't make sense since they just issued the recall a week or so ago.....you may be lost in the system.

Unless there is confusion about which recall we are talking about - total of 3 letters were issued with the label only being the most aggravating.
Old 04-22-03, 11:52 AM
JocDoc
Driver School Candidate

Hi Knicksfan,

When I called today about the label recall issue, they seemed to know exactly who I was and had the Vin # of the car. The representative checked my Vin against some data base in his system and gave me a clean bill of health. I hope Lexus isn't just leading me on. As I mentioned, I have not received any of the recall notices.

Ed
Old 04-22-03, 12:59 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default What does your door label say

THis is strange....does your door label say 6100 lbs or 6000 lbs?

Maybe they DID start relabeling them months before the official recall (that would REALLY make me mad since they could have at least informed us before we did our taxes).
Old 04-22-03, 02:27 PM
JocDoc
Driver School Candidate

my door label reads 6100 lbs.
Old 04-22-03, 03:54 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default Curiouser and curiouser

Something is fishy...Lexus made NO CHANGE to the vehicle. It would seem you are equally eligible/liable for the recall. Yours is (presumably) mislabeled too.

Not sure why they would tell you that it isn't.
Old 04-22-03, 06:48 PM
AWilmit
Rookie

Mine (purchased in March) is labled 6,000 lbs.
Old 04-22-03, 07:34 PM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so its just a few of us with the problem...
Old 04-23-03, 06:19 AM
JocDoc
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys,

I'm really bummed. I rechecked my door label and it in fact reads 6000 lbs. I'm not sure why I thought it read 6100 lbs. (wishful thinking). Sorry for the mis-information. I guess I'm in the same boat as everyone else!! I was told the vehicle would meet the requirements for section 179 of the tax code. and this was instrumental in my decision to buy the vehicle. I'm really, really bummed!!

Ed
Old 04-23-03, 06:43 AM
degeester
Rookie

Lexus is working on a resolution for those like us who bought the GX in detrimental reliance upon using it as a piece of business equipment. Rumors so far;
(1)Lexus will buy the car (I refer to it as a car because it is classified as a car by the goverment for tax purposes) back,
(2)give us a check to offset the tax loss based on the individuals specific tax situtation (remember them asking you alot of questions as to how much the car is used for business?)

As for the luxury tax issue. I purchased the GX before the luxury tax ended. The dealer did not charge me luxury tax. Because of the reclassification, the owner are subject retroactively to pay the tax. Lexus will pay the tax, either directly to the dealer or to the owner, so those people can pay Uncle Sam. As a sign of goodwill Lexus will be giving those owners affected the Lexus debit card in the amount of $1,000 to be used at Lexus.

So far, I spoke to Lexus Customer Assistance and gave them alot of information, to which they forwarded to a special department being set up to handle Section 179 problems. I received a call from my dealer who wanted to confirm personal data because it was requested by corporate. Evidently, Lexus is collecting information by contacting the originating dealer for a full copy of the sales contract before making contact with myself. I guess when they call me I can have them speak to my CPA.
Old 04-23-03, 12:53 PM
JocDoc
Driver School Candidate

degeester,

Thanks for the update. I called Lexus customer service again today. At first, I was told that since I bought my car after the label had been changed, I was s.o.l. as far as any claim against Lexus was concerned. I informed them that when I began shopping for the car, I had already seen that the GWVR was 6100 lbs. I was not aware of any change in that status and expected my vehicle to weigh the same. The customer service rep then took that info and said someone would be calling me by the end of the week. Ido expect Lexus to stand by it's reputation and do the right thing!!

Ed
Old 04-24-03, 12:07 PM
Guy
Driver School Candidate

JocDoc,

Let me know what they say. I, too, bought the GX thinking it met the over 6000 pound weight. It wasn't until I joined this forum, that I discovered otherwise. Hasn't affected my taxes for last year but will for next year.

Guy

Originally posted by degeester
Lexus is working on a resolution for those like us who bought the GX in detrimental reliance upon using it as a piece of business equipment. Rumors so far;
(1)Lexus will buy the car (I refer to it as a car because it is classified as a car by the goverment for tax purposes) back,
(2)give us a check to offset the tax loss based on the individuals specific tax situtation (remember them asking you alot of questions as to how much the car is used for business?)

As for the luxury tax issue. I purchased the GX before the luxury tax ended. The dealer did not charge me luxury tax. Because of the reclassification, the owner are subject retroactively to pay the tax. Lexus will pay the tax, either directly to the dealer or to the owner, so those people can pay Uncle Sam. As a sign of goodwill Lexus will be giving those owners affected the Lexus debit card in the amount of $1,000 to be used at Lexus.

So far, I spoke to Lexus Customer Assistance and gave them alot of information, to which they forwarded to a special department being set up to handle Section 179 problems. I received a call from my dealer who wanted to confirm personal data because it was requested by corporate. Evidently, Lexus is collecting information by contacting the originating dealer for a full copy of the sales contract before making contact with myself. I guess when they call me I can have them speak to my CPA.
Old 04-25-03, 04:27 AM
w4rjd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was at the dealer yesterday and now there is a smail white sticker next to the new car price sticker that states the GVW is 6000 lbs and the sticker is not to removed until sold on the GX 470 in the showroom.

The VIN sticker on the car is a 6000 GVW one.
Old 04-25-03, 07:33 PM
AWilmit
Rookie

Were all of the GXs recalled for the rear seat and suspension pin? I have not received any recall notices.
Old 04-25-03, 10:40 PM
lyxxsx1
Driver

No not all VIN falls under the Air Suspension Pin recall. Ask your deal to check it again your VIN.

Quick Reply: 3 recall notices