GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

3 recall notices

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-03, 01:10 AM
Guy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by w4rjd
Get your 2002 tax returns ready complete with all schedules. By magic PW is going to be able to caculate your tax exposure for 2003.

I am not happy with the idea of sharing my 1040 information with Lexus or PW due to a Lexus screw up..
I don't know how they will be able to do that since I'm a professional trader and my job is to minimize my tax exposure. If they can tell me what I'll make in 2003 trading futures and options based upon my 2002 return, I'll want to hire them myself.
Old 05-14-03, 06:10 AM
major1
Driver School Candidate

I believe what they will be looking for is what would be your "Accerated Depreciation Figures" for the 2003 tax year.

If like me you purchased your vehicle in 2002 they need the deduction taken for 2002 plus the accelerated depreciation amount for 2003

Your accountant with know!
Old 05-14-03, 07:40 PM
D4SSWME
Driver

Unhappy Repairs done yet?

anyone had the repairs done yet based on the recalls?

i've notified the dealership as soon as I got the notices and have yet to hear from them regarding the repair since they mentioned that the parts had to be ordered.

its been about a month already.
Old 05-14-03, 08:10 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default yes

I had them do everything but the label change! (waiting for resolution first). Can't tell anything different and they did it on a day they were doing other maintenance...no big deal.
Old 05-14-03, 09:57 PM
degeester
Rookie

I had the recall repairs done with the 5K oil change and check up. As far as the rear suspension they broke the air bags and I had to wait two weeks for replacement parts.
Old 05-19-03, 09:25 PM
D4SSWME
Driver

Smile --ditto--

just had the fixes done on my GX this morning.

also had the 5K service done at the same time.

funny thing is that when i asked about the 1K debit card, i was told that somebody would call me back.

still waiting to hear from them

hope i don't get the run around
Old 05-20-03, 06:50 AM
lexusnc
Driver

FYI,

I just did the same thing, the 5K service and all recalls. When I spoke to the service mannager Susi Todd (Flow Lexus in Kernersville, NC, 336-993-0105) She had me make a copy of my registration, provide her with the name and account number of the finance company, and fill out an affidavit giving Lexus the power to change the title of the truck to show 6000 GVW. This was the paperwork nessisary for me to receive the $1000.00 Visa debit card. She was very knowlagable and said my visa card should be sent in a few weeks. I hope this helps....
Old 05-20-03, 09:17 AM
major1
Driver School Candidate

I would keep a photo of, or the original "6100" GVWR label.

I would not suggest you have your title changed until you have a agreed resolution with Lexus

So far I'm hearing a wide & different range of "potential offers" to owners with the tax problems caused by the "mis-labelling" etc....

01. Buy back of the vehicle
Plus
02. Refund of the amount of tax deduction for 2002 & 2003 (depreciation)
Plus
03. Accountants Fees
Plus
04. Sales Tax paid

I'm sure there's more implications that others can think of!
Old 05-20-03, 12:30 PM
lexusnc
Driver

FYI,

Since my GX470 is owned by me personally, I have no tax implications for 6000 vs 6100 GVW. As a result I am not woried about waiting for my title to be corrected or retaining a picture of the incorrect sticker. I have all the original paperwork so I do have proof that the vehicle was mismarked. The only thing I had to sign was an affidavit giving Lexus a limited power of attorny, which only lets them fix the title, nothing else (I had my attorney look it over to be sure). I have not waved any right to be compensated if this error causes me financial harm. So I do not see a downside for me (again, this is not a business owned vehicle) in completing the paperwork and getting my $1,000.00.
Old 05-20-03, 01:22 PM
w4rjd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the car but if Lexus offers to buy it back, they can have it.
Old 05-20-03, 01:28 PM
major1
Driver School Candidate

The information was FYI for those affected by the possible TAX implications.
I own mine also...nice car!

Do you watch DVD's while driving?
The mod will invalidate your warranty BTW.
Have your attorney check that out!
Old 05-20-03, 02:01 PM
major1
Driver School Candidate

Dear "lexusnc"

I dont know if you own it or the finance company does but my information is that Lexus are getting a severe "ear bashing" from both finance & leasing companies over this mess!

I hasten to add that this is to every owners advantage as they have far more clout to exert pressure wherever it may be needed to resolve this issue.

A $1000 credit card does not satisy me or many others I think!

Add this mess to the "Vibration" problem!
Old 05-20-03, 02:04 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default $1000 "gift" card

I've seen the gift card my wife got some news on it the other day, apparentlyu they'll be sending them out to the Lexus of Manhattan customers soon, and they were planning a training session for the cashiers on how to treat the gift cards.

They (Lexus) were very clear on the point (to the dealership) that the cards would only be honored for $1000 and anything over that was to be settled in any other acceptable fashion...if the dealership was willing to "eat" the overage then it was on them, not Lexus.
Old 05-20-03, 02:29 PM
lexusnc
Driver

I do not watch DVD's while driving, but my wife sometimes adjusts or starts a new DVD for my kids in the back while she is in the passenger seat. As far as the warranty goes, sure it voids the warranty for those specific wires. As far as the rest of the NAV system, Federal law would require Lexus to prove that a problem with the NAV or any other system in the truck was directly related to this mod. I can easily live with that for the convience that we have gained (I had to pull over everytime we wanted to start another DVD).

As far as the issue with the missmarked GVW, I certainly can understand how those who are suffering because of the tax implications would want to wait so they recieve there just compensation and be made whole again. If I were in that situation, I would be royally pissed!! As I personally own this truck I am not inconvienenced, or financially injured in the least because Lexus in picking up the tab for any fees I would have to pay (retitle fee, lux tax, ect..) the worst is having to wait while they put the new sticker on, I can deal with that, especially for $1,000.00. For those who are getting screwed, I hope you get every penny and then some out of Lexus for all the trouble you have been put through. I will watch with great interest to see how Lexus ultimately handles this problem, to see if they go the extra mile for customer service as they claim!! Good Luck.
Old 05-28-03, 11:55 PM
craigt
Driver School Candidate

Lexus appears to be going the extra mile for their customers. We are all receiving the $1000 debit card whether or not the weight correction affects us. I am directly affected by the tax deduction as a business vehicle and Lexus has PriceWaterhouse working with my CPA to determine to amount. They said they will pay dollar for dollar of the loss. I had no concerns signing the affidavit to allow them to correctly register the vehicle and I already had them change the sticker when my car had the other recalls corrected.

I really do not think anyone has to worry about Lexus screwing you - I'm sure they won't. They have already gone the extra mile by going everyone $1000 Lexus credit and they are correcting the tax issue properly as well.

On the otherhand, BMW would probably not handle things the same way. As an M3 owner, I know that all M3's in the USA have inherent engine problems – they all have a cold-start stalling problem and there is a pattern of engines blowing when highly revved. These problems are well known to M3 owners but BMW will not accept blame or recall the cars. In fact, when the engine blows, they almost always say that is was driver error and settle on warranting the parts but charging for the labor. Mitsubishi does the same thing – the Spyder 3000GT was filled with engineering flaws and anyone who had a 3000GT VR4 (turbo model) had transmissions problems and warping brakes. Mitsubishi never admitted to these problems but I wouldn’t expect them to – they aren’t BMW or Lexus. What is BMW’s excuse?

Lexus is definitely there for its customers so I wouldn’t worry. If you are a using the GX470 for business, prove to Lexus your loss involved and they will reimburse you properly. Yes, there is an issue with financial privacy but they have contracted the resolution of this problem with an outside accounting firm who is obligated to your protect your privacy. So Lexus has that issue covered as well.

It doesn’t hurt to take a picture of the sticker but it isn’t necessary for you to stop them from correcting the recalls while you wait for reimbursement.

Quick Reply: 3 recall notices