GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

3 recall notices

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-03, 07:59 AM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3 recall notices

i came home for the weekend and my parents said i had 3 recalls on my car

the first i knew about the lable
the next is the middle row seat lock.. aparntly the lexus link box is too big and hinders the latching of the seat

the other one is a major one imo the " on certain early 2k3 gx equiped with RAHC if the vehicle becomes stuck on steep off-road conditions and repeated attemps are made to move the vehicle excessive driving force may be applied to the drive line system, the excessive force may cause the pin on the bottom of the air suspension pneumatic cylender asselbmy to break if this occures the bottom of the air suspension may slide off the spring base on the rear axle"
sorry about the typo's and what not hopefully the main idea is convey'd gonna go try and get these fix'd

ps make sure you get the 1grand i love lexus

Last edited by Kash; 04-17-03 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-17-03, 05:14 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm pretty pissed

I am not at all happy about the re-label issue. I did file my taxes with the increased depreciation deduction (I am a business owner) and I am not at all anxious to amend my tax return and pay the substantial increase in taxes.

$1000 in Lexus service will barely cover my costs for re-filing my taxes. I want to make sure I am not signing away my rights to sue or be part of a class action about this in order to get the Debit card. I am astounded that Lexus could mess this up so bad.

I realize that most people aren't business owners or aren;'t taking advantage of this tax break..Quite frankly it had no bearing on my selecting and buying this truck. But couldn't Lexus have gotten this right - or informed us earlier (I mean I got my letters about 2 days before April 15!!!) so I could have done my taxes correctly the first time?

Aaahhhrrggh!
Old 04-17-03, 05:17 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

WHat is the real label issue you guys are talking about.

So, I can not deduct this car and depreciate the first 26k in my taxes?
Old 04-17-03, 05:25 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default 6000 not over 6000 Gross

Apparently Lexus "mislabeled" the car and its Gross Weight of 6000 (not 6100) does not qualify for the special deductions. I think there are some other links/posts on the site with more info and resources.
Old 04-17-03, 05:56 PM
rbridges
Driver School Candidate

I just cancelled my order b/c of the weight issue. Apparently, it has to weigh 6001 lbs or more to get the section 179 deduction. Man, am I pissed.

I would have to think that Lexus would be liable for some type of law suit if the purchaser bought it as a business expense. Remember when Mazda offered to buy back the miatas due to hp discrepancies? This is a mess. I can't understand how they miscalculated the GVWR.
Old 04-17-03, 09:27 PM
degeester
Rookie

I bought my GX-470 in reliance upon the representation that the GVWR was 6100 or in any case over 6000 lbs. Lo and behold I am now notified that the deduction I already took is in error.

I called my dealer, he was as confused as I was and suggested I contact Lexus customer assistance. I did contact them via the 1-800 number. Spoke to a nice representative who said he would call back before the end of today. He did call back, Lexus has set up a special office to field this specific complaint. (They are aware of the problem) So Lexus is doing something, (what exactly I don't know) I was told this office would contact me within 3-5 days.

They asked a series of questions and point blank asked what I wanted. I suggested a variety of remedies including; buy my GX back, take my GX and give me a LX so it would be in compliance with IRS regs, buy my GX back and lease it to me until the 2004 model is out (with the anticipation that the '04 will weigh more than 6,000 GVWR) or get together with others for a class action lawsuit (this is not a good option as the lawyers will end up getting a large chunk of any settlement)

Any other thoughts on remedies? I will keep this forum posted as to my progress.
Old 04-17-03, 09:32 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default Interesting

...how about pay the difference in our tax? (they say they will pay luxury tax - why not pay the difference for those that were entitled to the deduction?) I'm no accountant so I don't know if everyone is entitled to the same amounts but someone should be able to figure it out (not Lexus - they can't even figure out how much the truck weighs!)

...That would satisfy me.
Old 04-18-03, 07:07 AM
rbridges
Driver School Candidate

degeester, let me know what they tell you. All Lexus did was take my name/# and said they would forward it to somebody.

I'm thinking they will increase the GVWR for '04. They should be able to make a running model change for '03. I remember the '97 corvette modified their seatbelts during the year. I hope Lexus can add a single pound somewhere.

Like I said, what a freaking mess.
Old 04-18-03, 07:58 AM
w4rjd
Pole Position

Section 179 is for business depreciation expense. It is not an additional deduction for the average household. If you are buying the GX as a grocery getter and soccer Mom transport, the 6000 vs. 6001 GVW makes no difference as the car is not being used for business.

I would question any GX with the rear DVD as being a real business expense. I would hope the IRS would take the same view and question the use of a luxury truck being used by Mom or Dad for their daily travels and the business needs.
Old 04-18-03, 08:28 AM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

its just a handfull of people with the weight descepencies right just us very first owners.. i am hoping they fixed it allready..
adding hid's and retractable running boards is sure to increase the weight

ohh maybe the rear view system in the nav also

Last edited by Kash; 04-18-03 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-18-03, 09:21 AM
rbridges
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by w4rjd
Section 179 is for business depreciation expense. It is not an additional deduction for the average household. If you are buying the GX as a grocery getter and soccer Mom transport, the 6000 vs. 6001 GVW makes no difference as the car is not being used for business.

I would question any GX with the rear DVD as being a real business expense. I would hope the IRS would take the same view and question the use of a luxury truck being used by Mom or Dad for their daily travels and the business needs.
I completely agree that it's a stupid loophole for a tax deduction, but it's too big for someone to ignore. It allows the average business owner to deduct 25000 vs. 3-5000 on their vehicle. It would take over 10 years to depreciate the GX if it doesn't get the 179 deduction. If you're in a 30+% tax bracket, that's over 8K out of pocket difference the first year. There's a lot of rules the IRS has that I disagree with. You just have to learn to work with what they throw at you.
Old 04-18-03, 12:09 PM
bluntguy
Rookie

Is there some official thing with the recalls that credits us with $1000 in service?? If so - kewl!

shawn
Old 04-18-03, 12:35 PM
degeester
Rookie

The latest developments; (1)I am taking the GX in for the 5K service today, the service manager tells me that everyone similarly situated will get a $1,000.00 credit for use at Lexus dealers to take care of the luxury tax problem (that is in addition to Lexus paying the actual luxury tax),
(2)that because of the recall he will have to change the sticker. I lucked out because the dealer who is doing the service is not the dealer I purchased the GC from. It appears that the paperwork needs to be completed by the dealer who made the sale and that dealer is the one who has the proper new sticker. In a nutshell, the dealer doing the service doesn't have a sticker to give me. I prefer that it not be changed so I have proof that the car was represented to me as 6100 GVWR.

Haven't heard from the corporate office but was not expecting to hear from them until next week.
Old 04-18-03, 05:58 PM
w4rjd
Pole Position

PHP Code:
I have proof that the car was represented to me as 6100 GVWR
Just take a photo of the sticker on the car. It has the VIN number and barcode. Should prove the orginial 6100 lbs claim.

Old 04-18-03, 07:04 PM
lightrider
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by degeester
The latest developments; (1)I am taking the GX in for the 5K service today, the service manager tells me that everyone similarly situated will get a $1,000.00 credit for use at Lexus dealers to take care of the luxury tax problem (that is in addition to Lexus paying the actual luxury tax),
What was the deal involving the luxury tax?

Found it. Luxury tax thread

Last edited by lightrider; 04-18-03 at 07:07 PM.

Quick Reply: 3 recall notices