GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Engaging L for DAC

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-16, 05:28 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 169 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by sheikhmax
You are right. No body really uses it but i want to figure it out if its broken and do something to fix it. My thing is you never know when you're going to need it. It might come in handy some time. Apart for lower gear its has to do alot with ABS to control the downward motion and keep the speed in check with out skidding.
lol! Not even handy, I have owned a GX for 13 years, I have use L only when I am putting the truck up on 4 ramps, the torque makes it safer without over shooting the ramps. But it would be good to know everything works before selling it privately.
Old 02-23-16, 08:59 PM
mswtoyota
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engaging L for DAC

Can you please write the exact steps of How you were able to get it working? As i am still struggling with it

Thanks.
I hit the DAC button, and it started to flash. I put the trans in neutral, shifted the t-case into 4 low, then the trans back into drive. The DAC light went solid and stopped flashing. I pointed the truck down a fairly steep hill, and let it idle. As it picked up speed, I felt and heard the DAC activate and it started flashing the skid control light whenever it was active. Once it had slowed the truck the DAC and skid contol lights turned off (DAC light still on). As the truck began to pick up speed again, the DAC started doing its thing to slow it back down again and was flashing the skid control icon. It continued to repeat this all the way down the hill. The DAC was EXTREMELY agressive at slowing the truck to about 5 mph or so and then would release. I'm assuming it is based off of speed (the new GXs you can set the speed) but I didn't try hitting the gas to see if it would override the DAC or shut it off. I guess I'll have to go play with it again.

Last edited by mswtoyota; 02-23-16 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-24-16, 11:20 AM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mswtoyota
I hit the DAC button, and it started to flash. I put the trans in neutral, shifted the t-case into 4 low, then the trans back into drive. The DAC light went solid and stopped flashing. I pointed the truck down a fairly steep hill, and let it idle. As it picked up speed, I felt and heard the DAC activate and it started flashing the skid control light whenever it was active. Once it had slowed the truck the DAC and skid contol lights turned off (DAC light still on). As the truck began to pick up speed again, the DAC started doing its thing to slow it back down again and was flashing the skid control icon. It continued to repeat this all the way down the hill. The DAC was EXTREMELY agressive at slowing the truck to about 5 mph or so and then would release. I'm assuming it is based off of speed (the new GXs you can set the speed) but I didn't try hitting the gas to see if it would override the DAC or shut it off. I guess I'll have to go play with it again.
Thank you... I will try those exact steps on mine and will report back. I hope it works this time.
Old 02-26-16, 10:41 AM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Update..

I tried those exact steps. DAC light keeps on blinking but it never activates. Seems like now i have to find some thread to diagnose this and get it fixed.

Old 02-26-16, 07:31 PM
mswtoyota
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Schematic posted in this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-flashing.html
Old 02-29-16, 07:01 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 523 Likes on 435 Posts

Update..

I tried those exact steps. DAC light keeps on blinking but it never activates. Seems like now i have to find some thread to diagnose this and get it fixed.

If a situation comes up where you feel you need this feature, put it in low range, and manually shift the trans to 1st or 2nd gear, and you get the same effect without the electronic aid. The engine braking in low range and low gears will keep you from being able to pick up speed downhill, and you should be able to easily control it with careful application of the brakes taking care to not lock up the tires.

This is how people did it before DAC came around.
Old 02-29-16, 07:18 AM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mswtoyota
Thanks MWSTOYOTA.

I read that and looks like might be the issue. The one little switch.
Old 02-29-16, 07:23 AM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IanB2
If a situation comes up where you feel you need this feature, put it in low range, and manually shift the trans to 1st or 2nd gear, and you get the same effect without the electronic aid. The engine braking in low range and low gears will keep you from being able to pick up speed downhill, and you should be able to easily control it with careful application of the brakes taking care to not lock up the tires.

This is how people did it before DAC came around.
Thanks IANB2. In the event I decide not to troubleshoot it further which probably has more chances to be true. I will be using LOW RANGE AND ENGINE BRAKING and forget DAC ever existed. BTW it does the same thing as DAC when i am rolling backwards on the hill abs kicks and tries to stop me even without pressing DAC swtich LOL but never works in front motion. Probably next time i should go backwards on the hills

Thank you all for your insights. I really appreciate it.
Old 06-03-16, 12:22 PM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Default Finally Saw It Working

Was parked uphill as usual but not on Pavement. Thought of trying it out as i read somewhere it only works OFFROAD NOT on PAVEMENT.

Followed below steps:

Shifted from P to N
Shifted H to L
Shifted from N to 1st gear.
Pressed DAC.

And Light turned ON Solid

Lifted foot of the brake and as it declined forward it started Kicking in.. So no need to Troubleshoot it any more.

Old 06-03-16, 12:57 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

The truck has no way of knowing if it's on or off road, but glad you hear you got it figured out!
Old 06-03-16, 01:08 PM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

@ IAN

I agree completely. Something is SMART about this Truck... LOL

Check this thread out:
http://www.yotatech.com/f2/how-engag...es-work-20956/

Everyone is mentioning it works OFFROAD NON PAVEMENT..... And thats exactly when it worked... Pretty Stubborn Tech there......
Old 06-03-16, 01:27 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

@ IAN

I agree completely. Something is SMART about this Truck... LOL

Check this thread out:
http://www.yotatech.com/f2/how-engag...es-work-20956/

Everyone is mentioning it works OFFROAD NON PAVEMENT..... And thats exactly when it worked... Pretty Stubborn Tech there......
Had a quick peek at that thread, guys are saying it's only for use offroad, not that the system won't engage on-road.

On these trucks, engaging low range automatically locks the center diff, putting you from AWD to 4x4 mode, which is to be used only on low traction surfaces to avoid driveline binding. As low range is required for the DAC system to activate, it follows that it should only be used offroad or in low traction situations, but that's up to the operator.
Old 06-03-16, 01:39 PM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

I agree with your explanation.... But for me it never engages on pavement.... Keeps blinking and when i Engaged it OFFROAD Light went solid right away.... Well it works...at least i got to see it working...
Old 06-03-16, 01:52 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

I agree with your explanation.... But for me it never engages on pavement.... Keeps blinking and when i Engaged it OFFROAD Light went solid right away.... Well it works...at least i got to see it working...
Without reading back through the entire thread, when you had tried it on pavement in the past, had the dash indicator for the CDL gone solid, to indicate it was locked and in 4x4, or was it still flashing? It can take a bit of driving/weaving/figure8 to get the CDL to lock up on dry pavement, as the tires are unable to slip for things to line up (hence why you aren't supposed to use it on high tractions surfaces), and that needs to be locked before the DAC will engage.
Old 06-03-16, 06:23 PM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

CDL engages without any issues on pavement. Light turns on solid and it engages.
May be its tied to Vehicle stability control which off course is smart and senses the conditions.
Just my thought not confirmed...

I don't think CDL needs to be locked when 4lo is engaged. If it does even with DAC than CDL light wasn't ON.....

Last edited by sheikhmax; 06-03-16 at 06:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Engaging L for DAC