GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Transmission Filter/Strainer - replace or no?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-16, 01:39 PM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chitown40
Breaking the seal on a perfectly well-sealed ATF oil pan IMOP is not necessary. The FSM explains the process for changing the fluid, and no where does it say to drop the pan. If someone wants to because they feel they need to or their transmission has had many years of hard use, then go for it. These trucks are predominantly mall crawlers, so I don't think many have seen extreme use
Your the one who said you were going to clean the filter/screen with break clean. You have to drop the pan to do that. I said it's crazy to clean a $26 part. It's a sealed screen. It's not easy to clean anyway. Just toss it and buy new for that price. If your not dropping the pan then it's a moot point. But cleaning it is silly. Look at the picture, it's a container not a open screen.

Edit. It was Philipf22 that was going to use break clean not you.
Sorry

Last edited by co4wheel; 03-04-16 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-07-16, 07:27 AM
philipf22
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by co4wheel
Your the one who said you were going to clean the filter/screen with break clean. You have to drop the pan to do that. I said it's crazy to clean a $26 part. It's a sealed screen. It's not easy to clean anyway. Just toss it and buy new for that price. If your not dropping the pan then it's a moot point. But cleaning it is silly. Look at the picture, it's a container not a open screen.

Sorry
Got everything done this weekend. Followed my the originally posted procedures but replaced the strainer.

Thanks for the help everybody.
Old 03-07-16, 04:20 PM
chitown40
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by co4wheel
Sorry
Not a problem.
Old 05-26-17, 12:36 PM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Got the transmission fluid replaced today for the first time @145k miles. Went with the Transmission flush method at a Toyota dealer using their BG system and Toyota WS trans fluid. Their lead technician recommended not to open the pan or replace the filter to avoid risks. I have only driven the car about 20 miles and so far so good. I'll report back if I experience any issues in future.
The following users liked this post:
User 122922 (08-02-21)
Old 05-26-17, 12:58 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

What risks???? Did he say???? I would like to know! Whatever anyone wants to call it, its job is to collect debris, I would have changed it. Thats just my opinion. Clean fluid going through old debris, doesnt make sense to me. If its serviceable its for a reason. I never heard of a risk involved, get all the junk off the magnets, bottom of the pan, did he say what you would be risking?
Old 05-27-17, 02:37 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Matsui
Got the transmission fluid replaced today for the first time @145k miles. Went with the Transmission flush method at a Toyota dealer using their BG system and Toyota WS trans fluid. Their lead technician recommended not to open the pan or replace the filter to avoid risks. I have only driven the car about 20 miles and so far so good. I'll report back if I experience any issues in future.
there must be a good reason...my Lexus dealer said the same thing using the same system. I am sure they would have no hesitation to pull he pan and add on the extra service for more money if it were necessary. Maybe the system reverses the flush to clean the screen also.
Old 05-27-17, 06:52 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DiabloX22
What risks???? Did he say???? I would like to know! Whatever anyone wants to call it, its job is to collect debris, I would have changed it. Thats just my opinion. Clean fluid going through old debris, doesnt make sense to me. If its serviceable its for a reason. I never heard of a risk involved, get all the junk off the magnets, bottom of the pan, did he say what you would be risking?
With so much debate and info on this forum from both sides, I knew what he meant so I didn't ask to elaborate. Both options have pros and cons so it is really up to you to decide which route you want to go. The risk in general is the debris collected over the years getting loose and going in the wrong places to mess up the transmission.
Old 05-28-17, 09:24 AM
LoneHiker
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I posted my DIY trans flush here, which details most of the issues being discussed:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...er-change.html

That thread gets lost because no one stickied it. The filter is a mesh screen, and on my GX, it had collected a very large amount of filings.Constant pressure from fluid pouring through the screen could cause some of that sharp debris to tear the screen over time, and now it's circulating through your transmission. So yes, I would replace the filter every 100k-150k miles.

The method that I used is the most gentle way to do a 100% flush on the transmission, since you're using the transmission to circulate the fluid rather than an external pump. Also, it circulates fluid the proper direction rather than a backflush that would push fluid the wrong way.

It's the only way that I would do a flush (or allow a shop to do one), and it definitely needs to be done before 150k miles. Toyota made a huge mistake in claiming they had developed a lifetime fluid, there is no such thing. And the 3 quart partial flush without dropping the pan is totally inadequate. For example, the magnets on the pan fill up with filings and can no longer do their job. The pan needs to be dropped so you can clean the sludge off of it and clean the filings off the magnets. While you're in there, replacing the filter screen just makes common sense.
Old 08-02-21, 02:31 PM
User 122922
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

just wondering I have the same situation like yours and I’d like to hear what did you do ?

Originally Posted by philipf22
I'm getting conflicting recommendations from Toyota, Lexus, and transmission shops.

My GX is an 05 w/ 115k and it has not had the trans flushed/changed. Never done any towing so it's totally light duty.

Question 1 - is it a filter or a strainer?
Some dealers/shops are saying that the filter in the transmission is just that...a filter. As such it should be changed. Other dealers (including toyota) are saying it's just a screen, and that doing a flush will take care of cleaning the screen.

So I'm trying to figure out who has it right. Even the toyota parts refer to it as a "filter/strainer"

I've got quotes ranging from $250 - $750 for a flush

Question 2 - Fluid
Some are saying Toyota WS isn't as good as MaxxLife. Others are saying I'd be dumb to put anything but Toyota WS in there.

Anybody have recommendations?