GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
View Poll Results: Are you experiencing vibration?
vibration (around 1700 rpm in all gears)
31.33%
vibration (60-75 mph)
20.48%
No vibration at all
48.19%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Are you experiencing vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-03, 06:32 PM
AWilmit
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call 1800-25LEXUS and ask for Scott. He told me Lexus is well aware of the problem, is running forums with service managers around the country and will have a repair soon.

Lexus of Englewood called 2 weeks ago and told me they had just had a conference call with Lexus re the vibration and should have a correction soon. I Think it is about time to call them again.

Again, for anyone considering this car, for all its good points, if a smooth driveline and customer service are what you are looking for, look elsewhere. This is easily the most disappointing experience I have ever had with a car.
Old 06-06-03, 08:35 AM
Cessna172
Driver

Please see my post in "Tell Lexus About Vibration Problem" thread for my update.

OTOH, the 1-800-Lexus-25 IS a joke, 75% of my called there were answered my people who could care less about my vibration problems, and gave the standard "it is normal because it is a truck" line. Only one in about 7 people I have talked to there actually did some research on my concern instead of the "we are robots and only say what we are programmed to say" attitude.

Regardless of how this vibration issue turns out I am very disappointed with 1-800-lexus. Luckily for me all of my experiences so far at my dealer have been positive, but I agree 1-800-lexus is a joke.

I think we should start a petition about 1-800-lexus and send it to corporate headquarters.
Old 06-06-03, 12:28 PM
super_cjc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The vibration seems reduced when I switch the suspension to sport mode, but I can still feel it. Maybe that’s the reason the 04 GX has kinetic suspension?

I brought up the vibration problem again on my 5k service, the service writer changed his statement from “Lexus is working on a fix” to “No abnormal vibrations”

Last edited by super_cjc; 06-06-03 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-06-03, 02:16 PM
modelaford
Driver

Thumbs down

Don't let the suckers skate, it is not normal and I am about ready to pound sand where they don't want it.
Old 06-08-03, 03:05 PM
major1
Driver School Candidate

Guys,

There are several issues ongoing with Lexus & their service (or lack thereof).

The vibration is a big issue & seems constant with many owners.

Several of us probably drive on such "Crappy" roads they are unaware of the problems. It takes awhile to notice it..but try driving a few hundred miles and it's a real pain!

Additional issues with the GVWR & Section 179 tax situation are also BIG!

So far everyone I hear from gets the "runaround" or the big promise it will all be taken care of...well it does not seem to be happening.

I mentioned on another post that I have heard a legal situation is developing & I believe a class action case will follow!

My suggestion is "Take Notes" and record comments, by whom, when & where. Make copies!

I for one am making sure the service guy writes it up as I describe and not another interpretion of what he or she thinks it is!

The $1000.00 credit is a joke...I'm surprised so many people don't see what the real value of it is????

The Lexus service is hopeless....

Lets keep everyone posted!
Old 06-09-03, 01:26 PM
krisoph
Driver School Candidate

I too have been putting up with the vibration which occurs at 60 to 65 miles an hour. It appears to get worse when the car is going up an incline. I brought the car in for the 1,000 mile check up and all the usual fixes were tried with no luck. I find this particularly bothersome because 65 miles an hour is a common travel speed. Last week Lexus sent out a mechanic and a new "fixed" was tried on my car and one other. The vibration is still there. In fact there is now some vibration with the gas pedal now. I haven't heard back to see wha the follow up will be.
Old 06-18-03, 11:53 AM
modelaford
Driver

Thumbs down

Steelers are airheads, called them today and they now know nothing about any vibrations. they seem to forget hour to hour. Two weeks ago they said lexus was working on a cure now they have never heard of a vibration. Got a hold of Lexus 800 # again and they now are telling me this problem is well known by lexus and is a normal part of the GX470, we have been lied to again that a fix was on the way, Are we going to accept this BS??????

Last edited by modelaford; 06-18-03 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-12-03, 07:57 AM
MarkP
Driver School Candidate

I have been watching this thread closely, as I am considering the purchase of an '03.
I have not noticed any new information in about a month about this vibration issue.
Are those of you who were experieincing vibration problems still dealing with that issue or has a "fix" been determined and, if so, were you happy with the results?

Based on the experience that you have had with the '03 would you still buy one or would you recommend I wait for the '04?
Old 07-12-03, 08:48 AM
AWilmit
Rookie

MarkP:

Two weeks ago my service manager told me they had yet another conference call re the vibration and they would have a repair soon (he said "Lexus always fixes problems"). That being said, at almost 5,000 miles, the car still vibrates. I will believe they can (or want to) figure this out when I see it.

The vibration is annoying enough to me that I would not recommend purchasing the GX. The GX has some nice features, but is a fair to middling car in terms of drivability and really has a poor driveline. In my opinion, after living with the GX for 5 months, there is no way it is worth over 50K. My wife, who drives the Lexus on most days, is less bothered by the vibration. However, she is really annoyed by the outside temp always reading 74 degrees (even when it is over 90 outside). There are enough nits with this car that there will probably be something to annoy everybody.

Factor in the fairly average to poor service I think Lexus really has (versus their hype/reputation) and I can say that, at this moment, I would never own one of these overpriced Toyotas again. The GX isn't awful and would be ok at 30K, but at 50K it is a real disappointment. In addition, Lexus, it turns out, is no better at customer service than any other car company. Based on experience, BMW eats these guys for lunch in terms of quality of product and real customer service. I cannot believe BMW would have ever let this product hit the market with the drivability issues it has and they would never tell customers (as Lexus did many times) that a vibrating driveline was normal because the vehicle is a "truck.."

If I were you, I would look elsewhere if there are other SUVs that have the features you are looking for.

Last edited by AWilmit; 07-12-03 at 08:49 AM.
Old 07-12-03, 02:22 PM
modelaford
Driver

Thumbs up

Mark, Aman to what AWILMET says as I have the same problems without getting any thing done about them.
Old 07-13-03, 08:15 PM
MarkP
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to reply.
I appreciate the honest information.
When I questioned our local dealer about the vibration issue with the GX he was unaware or at least pretended to be.

We will likely wait and see if this issue is reolved on the '04 with the promised suspension change.
Otherwise, we will probably go LX or back to BMW.

Thanks again!
Mark
Old 07-24-03, 09:55 AM
major1
Driver School Candidate

Default Vibration getting steadily worse

Anyone notice the vibration getting progressively worse?

My service manager tells me there is still no fix out there but the problem is now coming up a lot at service meetings!

Mine is being bought back by Lexus but it's been nearly 8 months with no rectification in sight!
Old 07-24-03, 10:16 AM
Cessna172
Driver

Default Re: Vibration getting steadily worse

Originally posted by major1
Anyone notice the vibration getting progressively worse?

My service manager tells me there is still no fix out there but the problem is now coming up a lot at service meetings!

Mine is being bought back by Lexus but it's been nearly 8 months with no rectification in sight!
Mine has seemed to get a little worse and now is apparent even in the upper RPM range, although not as bad as the lower range.

Mine is getting replaced next week but not for the vibration issue, but because of the tow hitch issue, we will see if any changes have been made on the assembly line since the beginning of the production run, as my replacement GX is just coming off the boat from Japan this Friday.

If not, then I will be again keeping a log on the new one, but hopefully they have done some changes in the assembly line.
Old 07-24-03, 01:14 PM
modelaford
Driver

Question

Mine is also being replaced with a new one, lets hope the new suspention has cured the horid vibration.

Last edited by modelaford; 07-25-03 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-24-03, 01:26 PM
Cessna172
Driver

Originally posted by modelaford
Mine is also being replaced with a new one with White Pearl, new type suspention , roll over air-bags and factory hitch. Should be in end of August, lets hope the new suspention has cured the horid vibration.
Don't count on it, the vibration is originating from somewhere in the drive train and no type of suspension can cancel out driveline roughness which transmits directly from the axle shaft and connecting points to the steering column.

Keep us all posted on how you like the new suspension though. From what I understand it is not an "active" type suspension so there will be no constant "active" dampning for various road conditions like in the current suspension, however it will keep the vehicle from rolling as much through corners and over un-level terrain due to the hydralic rams.

Quick Reply: Are you experiencing vibration?