GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
View Poll Results: Are you experiencing vibration?
vibration (around 1700 rpm in all gears)
31.33%
vibration (60-75 mph)
20.48%
No vibration at all
48.19%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Are you experiencing vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-03, 02:07 PM
DSW
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a 03 GX470 and the "vibration" began in mine just prior to my 1000mi service. Prior to then, it was very smooth. It has since progessively gotten a little worse. I think Cessna172 had an accurate description of the vibration. I believe possibly that some may be worse than others.

My vibration kicks in at precisely 1700rpm and continues through 2000rpm. Unfortunately, this rpm range puts you at highway speeds of 55-70mph. While it is not the worst thing in the world, it can be quite annoying and even fatiguing on long drives.

I recently drove a 04 and it had the same problem. But on the other hand, I have driven another 03 that did not vibrate at all. So the only thing I have been able to determine is that some vibrate and some do not. Some vibrate from day 1 and others begin after some time. And others simply never do. The year at this point makes no difference. The 03 and 04 are practically identical. I think Lexus really needs to get to the bottom of this soon. I read more owner complaints on the various websites and forums about this GX470 vibration problem.

Last edited by DSW; 10-07-03 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-07-03, 07:48 PM
super_cjc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 03 GX used to vibrate and now the vibration is completely gone after 10K miles.
I am going to trade my 03 with a 04 (9700B) in a couple of weeks. Hope my next GX won't vibrate
Old 10-08-03, 05:45 AM
tetra7
Lead Lap

Maybe..possibly maybe you are experiencing the center differential (Torsen) that Brent and I were trading emails on.

If you guys could, please post what vehicles you came from. The symptons you are describing sound like the center differential doing its job (i.e. gears engaging and rotating as power is being continuously and seamlessly distributed).

One interesting experiment to elaborate on it could be this:

Engage your center differential and drive in a STRAIGHT LINE for approx 1/4 to 1/5 of a mile. See if the vibrations are excaberated. Note: IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU DO NOT TURN IN THIS EXPERIMENT bc of drive line bind!
Old 10-08-03, 07:20 AM
Cessna172
Driver

Originally posted by tetra7
Maybe..possibly maybe you are experiencing the center differential (Torsen) that Brent and I were trading emails on.

If you guys could, please post what vehicles you came from. The symptons you are describing sound like the center differential doing its job (i.e. gears engaging and rotating as power is being continuously and seamlessly distributed).

One interesting experiment to elaborate on it could be this:

Engage your center differential and drive in a STRAIGHT LINE for approx 1/4 to 1/5 of a mile. See if the vibrations are excaberated. Note: IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU DO NOT TURN IN THIS EXPERIMENT bc of drive line bind!
Way ahead of you on that one tetra7. Yes I have tried locking the differencial and it doesn't change it at all. Tthe other comment on that is the LX has the same torsen system and it doesn't have this problem.

It is a GX design flaw, or engineering flaw. Not sure where the problem is coming from, but my guess is either the exhaust system, or the driveline system, and obviously Lexus can't seem to figure it out either.

Last edited by Cessna172; 10-08-03 at 07:21 AM.
Old 10-08-03, 07:45 AM
jacksonian
Pole Position

Default not tires?

so you guys don't subscribe to the tire theory? I had read about folks demanding a different brand of tires or changing the tire pressure and that eliminated the vibration.
Old 10-08-03, 08:03 AM
Cessna172
Driver

Default Re: not tires?

Originally posted by jacksonian
so you guys don't subscribe to the tire theory? I had read about folks demanding a different brand of tires or changing the tire pressure and that eliminated the vibration.
Not with this issue, it isn't the tires.

Again I have had two different GX's with different tires and have tried varing tire pressures.

Now there has been talk of a different type of vibration, that has to do with tires not being true or out of balance, or improperly inflated but that is a totally separate issue.

That is the other problem with discussing a "vibration" problem over a forum. Not only are peoples decription of a vibration different, but we are lumping two different problems into one thread and people who think they do not have a problem are looking for the wrong type of symptoms.

There is the tire related "bigger" if you will type of vibration (which I personally have never had a problem with on either vehicles) and then there is the "hum" if you will type of vibration like I described in my last thread that I have had in both vehicles.

Believe me, between me and my dealer's service manager we have tried every possible solution, except taking out the driveline and filing it down a little, which is going to be done at my 5K service.

Last edited by Cessna172; 10-08-03 at 08:07 AM.
Old 10-08-03, 10:49 AM
DSW
Driver School Candidate

I agree with Cessna . The GX470 is plagued with different types of vibrations. I think the one that most folks are talking about is the 1700rpm-2000rpm "buzzing" type vibration which is felt through the steering wheel and sometimes gas pedal. This definately is not related to the tires.

The other day I did a little experiment. I put the vehicle in 2nd(low) gear and took it up to 1900rpm. I did not feel the vibraton at all when I did this. I then put it in 3rd gear and did the same. But that time the vibration re-appeared.

Anybody have a thought on this?

Last edited by DSW; 10-08-03 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-08-03, 02:49 PM
modelaford
Driver

Angry

Both of mine vibrated at 1700 to 2200 in any gear, 1-2-3-4-5. You can drive thru the vibration by getting past 2200 RPM or staying under 1700 RPM. In 5th gear at 65-70 MPH it not only vibrates but has a loud humming noise that drives you nuts.
Old 10-08-03, 03:11 PM
Cessna172
Driver

Originally posted by modelaford
Both of mine vibrated at 1700 to 2200 in any gear, 1-2-3-4-5. You can drive thru the vibration by getting past 2200 RPM or staying under 1700 RPM. In 5th gear at 65-70 MPH it not only vibrates but has a loud humming noise that drives you nuts.
Yeah, mine has the hum (in a hearing sense) too.

Funny thing is, the first one I had only had the "hum" in the feeling sense, now I have both the hearing & feeling "hum" in that RPM range on this one.

Not cool on a 50K luxury vehicle

Last edited by Cessna172; 10-08-03 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-08-03, 06:13 PM
tetra7
Lead Lap

Cessna,

Actually the center differential is new for the GX....see the torsen thread brent started. The spec sheets show both the 4Runner and GX to use this model. I am very perplexed on why the 4Runner boards are not mentioning this vibration issue since the mechanicals are almost identical except for the adaptive suspension setup
Old 10-08-03, 08:35 PM
Cessna172
Driver

Originally posted by tetra7
Cessna,

Actually the center differential is new for the GX....see the torsen thread brent started. The spec sheets show both the 4Runner and GX to use this model. I am very perplexed on why the 4Runner boards are not mentioning this vibration issue since the mechanicals are almost identical except for the adaptive suspension setup
you mean it is different then the LX torsen system?

It doesn't matter though, Lexus still F'ed up on the GX

Last edited by Cessna172; 10-08-03 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-10-03, 06:24 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

LX uses a gear-based torque-sensing center differential, which is similar to TORSEN but i don't think Torsen made it.

A few owners on my 4runner forum have had the vibration. So, it's not just you guys.

Torsen T-3 is a new design, which maybe the source of this vibration.

Range Rover and Audi uses an older version of Torsen.
Old 12-20-03, 06:35 PM
Kbach
Pole Position

Default vibration questions

I was wonder if you guys can feel the vibration if the truck is in park or neutral and the engine is run up to to 1700-2200 rpms and held? I was thinking if it did, that would point to the engine harmonics. If not, then something else in the drive train. I see some have played around looking in all gears and still have it. If we could isolate when the vibration occurs most frequently, maybe we could get the ball rolling a little faster for a repair. Another question would be is the vibration any differnet in the different gears. Do you only feel the vibration in the steering wheel upper wood portion? Maybe the fix would be a wheel that is totally leather wrapped.
Old 12-20-03, 07:22 PM
modelaford
Driver

Thumbs up

Both of mine have not vibrated in neutral and reved to 1700-2200 RPM. Both have vibrated at 1700-2200 in ALL gears. Both have vibrated mostly on the wood part of the sterring wheel but the first 470 was worse. Also can feel it on the throttle. In 5th gear at 65-70 MPH and 2100RPM it vibrates and load humming noise with both 470's. First 470 had Dunlop tires second has Mithlin Cross Terrain tires.
Old 12-21-03, 07:53 AM
super_cjc
Pole Position

My 03 had light buzzing feel in steering wheel at 1700 RPM in all gears and noticeable vibration from floor and throttle in 5th gear at 60-70 MPH.
My 04 still has vibration but the light buzzing feel is almost gone and the vibration in the 5th gear at 60-70 RPM is less noticeable.

Quick Reply: Are you experiencing vibration?