GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
View Poll Results: Are you experiencing vibration?
vibration (around 1700 rpm in all gears)
31.33%
vibration (60-75 mph)
20.48%
No vibration at all
48.19%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Are you experiencing vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-03, 09:26 PM
super_cjc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Are you experiencing vibration?

How many of you are experiencing the vibration problem in your GX?

If not many, I better start reading the lemon law.
Old 04-23-03, 01:29 PM
Cessna172
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't have my GX yet, but have test driven two different ones and they both had the "vibration" on thw freeway in 5th gear at about the 1700 RPM range when lightly on the gas, stopped after I released the gas pedal.

I am looking to buy one as soon as Lexus acknowledges the problem and finds a remedy.
Old 04-25-03, 04:22 AM
w4rjd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My vibration is gone. Took the car for a long drive yesterday and the vibration is gone. The only things that have been done to the car are:

1 -- Balance the tires at 200 miles\
2 --Change the outside air sensor
3- Recal notices.

I even had my wife drive it and she did not feel the orginial vibration.

Strange...
Old 04-25-03, 09:48 AM
modelaford
Driver

Angry

Well, I called the 800# and they swear they have not had any other reports of this problem, another one that is going to get washed under the carpet.
Old 04-25-03, 09:51 AM
Cessna172
Driver

Originally posted by modelaford
Well, I called the 800# and they swear they have not had any other reports of this problem, another one that is going to get washed under the carpet.
I have called them twice and even gave them this web site URL. Lexus better step up soon, otherwise they are going to lose a sale. I am ready to buy, but not before this problem is resolved.
Old 04-25-03, 07:30 PM
AWilmit
Rookie

Customer service told me today that engineering now knows about the problem (which was described as characteristic of the vehicle). Not clear whether they will be doing anything, although I am hopeful.
Old 04-26-03, 09:13 AM
AWilmit
Rookie

tnlcao -- who is your dealer? I want to make sure my dealer's service dep't can talk to the master service tech there to understand the fix. Odd that just yesterday Lexus told me there had been no decision on what, if anything to do about this problem.
Old 04-28-03, 05:12 PM
Cessna172
Driver

Default Re: The cure for GX 470 vibration problem

Originally posted by tnlcao
Here is the good new, I talked with one of Lexus senior master tech earlier today. Lexus has found the cure for the vibration problem with some of the GX 470. According to the Master Tech Lexus has been conference call and email all the Senior Master around all region that has the most complain. Southern California was one of them. The Senior Master Tech was very honest about this problem, approx 30% of the GX 470 has the vibration problem. According to Lexus it has something to do with the 4 wheel drive shaft, all they have to do is take it a part clean the internal shaft with some special chemical and readjust the shaft and that should take care of the vibration problem, Lexus is currently adjusting the procedure in the assembly line, the next GX batch should be perfect. Lexus engineer has confirm the solution is 100% effective. Well, I hope they are right, my GX is scheduled for next Tues 4/29/03 to correct the vibration problem. If you want to call your local dealer to confirm this new, make sure you ask to speak to a senior master tech or at least the master tech, because services advisor don't know jack **** except for tune up schedule and oil change.

Sleep well and have a great weekend.

Did you happen to get the name of the person you talked to? I received my follow up phone call from the customer service magager and he maintains that the vibration is normal since it is a truck based frame. One of us is being lied to, I just wish I knew who it was. I hope it is me.
Old 05-01-03, 08:57 PM
AWilmit
Rookie

Cessna172 -- did you get any info re the vibration? tnlcao's dealer confirmed they have a fix, but Lexus continues to say there is nothing "official."
Old 05-02-03, 07:50 AM
Cessna172
Driver

Originally posted by AWilmit
Cessna172 -- did you get any info re the vibration? tnlcao's dealer confirmed they have a fix, but Lexus continues to say there is nothing "official."
Yeah, I got a call from one of the top managers at Customer Service yesterday. He said the same thing as the others. He did say that it is possible that there is a fix and they don't know about it yet. They are only allowed to give out information that has been "offically" released by Lexus.

As this will be my first Lexus and first experience with dealing with Lexus, I have been doing research, going to dealers, and going to the recent Lexus sponsored events to test drive the GX470 on the off-road course and all of my experiences with Lexus have been top-notch with the exception of dealing with 1-800-25-LEXUS. It's like these people read from a script and know nothing except what is in front of their faces and are unwilling to do any research to validate what I have been telling them. If it isn't in front of their face, then it must not exist.

TNLCAO: PLEASE KEEP US ALL INFORMED OF YOUR RESULTS FROM YOUR FIX

Last edited by Cessna172; 05-02-03 at 07:51 AM.
Old 05-03-03, 03:20 PM
AWilmit
Rookie

Cessna172 -- I would really reconsider this vehicle until they get their act together on the vibration issue, and on customer service issues in general. Based on my experience so far, from ordering the car, to purchasing it, to servicing my lease (where I was sent a bill dated 10 days AFTER the due date and then received a telephone call from Toyota finance wondering why my payment was late), to scheduling service and finally to taking care of repairs, this will be my first and last Lexus. The premium you pay over the price for a similar Toyota is supposed to go toward customer service so you do not have these experiences. It seems to me, in the end, Lexus is just an expensive Toyota.

Last edited by AWilmit; 05-03-03 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-09-03, 08:03 PM
AWilmit
Rookie

Scott from Lexus CS tells me that Lexus is nw running forums with service departments at various dealerships around the country to determine an effective repair for the vibration (which, I guess it turns out isn't "normal"). He tells me a repair will be available sooner rather than later and that I should keep checking with my dealer. No real explanation as to why the repair that worked for tnlcao is not approved for my car, but if this is taken care of in a short time frame, I guess I will be happy.

Anyone hear anything else?
Old 05-13-03, 06:23 PM
AWilmit
Rookie

Anyone hear anything new?
Old 05-24-03, 07:49 AM
AWilmit
Rookie

Lextek -- any news?
Old 06-05-03, 10:37 AM
modelaford
Driver

Unhappy

!-800-25-LEXUS is a big joke. Have called four times and spoke to four different people that know absulutly nothing about anything.

Quick Reply: Are you experiencing vibration?