GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Potential stereo upgrade strategy - remove Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-16 | 09:37 PM
LZnoT
Driver School Candidate

Default Potential stereo upgrade strategy - remove Navigation

My 2003 GX470 is in desperate need of a stereo modernization but cannot be updated when equipped with the factory navigation option. Thinking outside of the box I was wondering if it is possible to replace the Navigation console with the non-navigation one so that I could replace the stereo portion? I would need to know if the existing wiring harness would work with both configurations and if the physical components would fit the same dash opening. I know it is a long shot but I would choose a modern sound system over an obsolete navigation system any day.
Old 05-13-16 | 07:29 AM
co4wheel
Pole Position

The question is "how much of the wiring harness is different? Is it just the sub harness behind the stereo (if it has a sub harness), or is it the entire thing. You need to study the schematic for a nav and non-nav model and figure out what parts are different. Then get those parts. It will work in the end. It's just a matter of money and energy to figure out the wiring harness differences and swapping those and the AC/hvac parts around.
Old 05-13-16 | 11:17 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

There's a massive rectangular plug beneath the left-side "wood" trim. Tons of wires in there that feed the center console.

Chip H.
Old 05-19-16 | 03:07 PM
LoneHiker
Pit Crew

If you want a completely new stereo system in a GX with the ML/NAV system, the easiest method is to remove the cd changer, move the head unit (the one with the cassette player) to the space where the cd changer used to fit (the cables are long enough to reach), and then install a new single DIN head unit in the original cassette player space and run all new wiring, amps, and speakers. I worked in a stereo shop in college and that would be a very easy installation for just about anyone who understands that stuff.

The bigger question though, is why do you want to replace the stereo? I am a DIY audiophile and the sound quality with the windows up is about as good as it gets, although if you have certain non-audiophile tastes you might want more bass or louder tweeters or the like. My own complaint is with the bass performance with the windows down, it isnt acceptable and I will be building a small subwoofer setup with adjustable level to address that.

The other weakness is the lack of bluetooth audio, but that is easily addressed with the various adapters that are on the market. I use the Soundlinq and it works perfectly.
Old 05-22-16 | 05:15 PM
Levin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LoneHiker
If you want a completely new stereo system in a GX with the ML/NAV system, the easiest method is to remove the cd changer, move the head unit (the one with the cassette player) to the space where the cd changer used to fit (the cables are long enough to reach), and then install a new single DIN head unit in the original cassette player space and run all new wiring, amps, and speakers. I worked in a stereo shop in college and that would be a very easy installation for just about anyone who understands that stuff.

The bigger question though, is why do you want to replace the stereo? I am a DIY audiophile and the sound quality with the windows up is about as good as it gets, although if you have certain non-audiophile tastes you might want more bass or louder tweeters or the like. My own complaint is with the bass performance with the windows down, it isnt acceptable and I will be building a small subwoofer setup with adjustable level to address that.

The other weakness is the lack of bluetooth audio, but that is easily addressed with the various adapters that are on the market. I use the Soundlinq and it works perfectly.
Wow! I've never thought of simply removing the cassette system. That's brilliant. I'm an audiophile myself and although I find the ML system adequate I find the bass, and mids to be lacking.