GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Shock absorber leaking

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-16 | 12:02 AM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Default Shock absorber leaking

Took it in for an oil change at 90k miles dealer reported a leaking rear right strut and quoted over 1000k for replacement which i obviously declined. Now wanna know what are my options can I change just the one rear side which is leaking and do I have to put the oem or can I put anything aftermarket. Thanx
Old 05-28-16 | 12:18 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dallasguy1
Took it in for an oil change at 90k miles dealer reported a leaking rear right strut and quoted over 1000k for replacement which i obviously declined. Now wanna know what are my options can I change just the one rear side which is leaking and do I have to put the oem or can I put anything aftermarket. Thanx
At 90k you're better off doing both. The aftermarket possiblilities are endless but you'll lose the adjustable dampening.
Old 05-28-16 | 01:40 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

I have tried lowering but the height comes back to normal so I don't really know what or how it really works , after posting I searched and found out bilstein 5100 is good aftermarket option.
Old 05-28-16 | 06:45 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Lowering the suspension is designed for stuff like easier loading in the cargo area, and making it easier to hook up a boat to the trailer hitch. It will automatically return to normal height ("N" on the dash) when you exceed a few mph.

Replacing the shocks with aftermarket means you lose the comfort adjustment (the **** you turn labeled "Comfort ... Sport"). Which you may not care too much about, if you've never played with it.

CHip H.
The following users liked this post:
RushNatU (01-01-17)
Old 05-28-16 | 07:48 PM
co4wheel
Pole Position

1000K = 1,000,000. So yeah, $1 million is a little steep for you to spend on a older GX.
Old 05-28-16 | 08:01 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Originally Posted by co4wheel
1000K = 1,000,000. So yeah, $1 million is a little steep for you to spend on a older GX.
I tht u posted something helpful
The following users liked this post:
dbooth11 (02-27-23)
Old 05-29-16 | 05:52 AM
Barnesie
Driver

I have tried lowering but the height comes back to normal so I don't really know what or how it really works , after posting I searched and found out bilstein 5100 is good aftermarket option.
The rear height is controlled by the air bags not the shocks. So, messing around with the height of the shocks has no relationship with the health of the shocks. The Bilsteins are a nice aftermarket option or people have gone with 4 runner oem shocks. If you need model numbers for the aftermarket 5100s let me know. As stated previously I would replace at a minimum both shocks on the same axle and more ideally probably all four for an even ride.
Old 05-29-16 | 12:55 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Barnesie
The rear height is controlled by the air bags not the shocks. So, messing around with the height of the shocks has no relationship with the health of the shocks. The Bilsteins are a nice aftermarket option or people have gone with 4 runner oem shocks. If you need model numbers for the aftermarket 5100s let me know. As stated previously I would replace at a minimum both shocks on the same axle and more ideally probably all four for an even ride.
Sure lemme know also what year I can look for 4 runner struts. Also I have had good luck with Kyb in the past.

Last edited by Dallasguy1; 05-29-16 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-31-16 | 12:13 PM
SkeetShoot
Rookie

I tht u posted something helpful
He actually did.

But on point...
The Bilstein 5100s are what a lot of people are using or Old Man Emu Shocks. If you are eliminating the rear air system you will need the Metal-tech rear airbag delete kit:

http://www.metaltech4x4.com/p-1547-g...n-diy-kit.aspx
Old 05-31-16 | 12:35 PM
co4wheel
Pole Position

I would argue math is Useful.

OME is supposedly comfortable.

I can tell you for sure. That if you use the right coil spring in the back and 5100's it's comfortable. Break some rules on height and other things and it will not be comfortable. But done right you can have comfortable ride. I would use a simple inexpensive replacement in back over the Bilstein. Why send more then needed.
Old 05-31-16 | 12:43 PM
SkeetShoot
Rookie

Originally Posted by co4wheel
I would argue math is Useful.

OME is supposedly comfortable.

I can tell you for sure. That if you use the right coil spring in the back and 5100's it's comfortable. Break some rules on height and other things and it will not be comfortable. But done right you can have comfortable ride. I would use a simple inexpensive replacement in back over the Bilstein. Why send more then needed.
Some people have reported a "harsher" ride when using 5100's, however most have also put lift springs on them, or don't set the height on the front to the lowest perch setting. Either way, if the bags are still fine, then just a cheap replacement is needed.

If the bags are leaking or malfunctioning, I'd go with the 5100s or OME's
Old 05-31-16 | 02:12 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Has anyone tried the Kyb for the 4 runner I know it's Japanese brand and I have put them on my IS250 and ride is pretty good. I'm not sure about the bags as the report I got from the dealer had "rear right strut leaking".
Old 05-31-16 | 09:18 PM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Has anyone tried the Kyb for the 4 runner I know it's Japanese brand and I have put them on my IS250 and ride is pretty good. I'm not sure about the bags as the report I got from the dealer had "rear right strut leaking".
The problem with the GX is the air spring. Those by their nature are very progressive. Most shocks are made for the coil sprung 4Runner. I would still try it. But it's a little bit of a miss match if it's not designed for the GX.
Old 06-01-16 | 05:13 AM
SkeetShoot
Rookie

You can verify this was a visual inspection note by looking at the right rear and looking for a trace of oil on the strut. If you don't see any, spray some soapy water on all the air bag parts. If you see some bubbles, then voilla you know its the bag, and at that point, consider a full removal of the system.
Old 06-01-16 | 12:36 PM
BradTank
Racer

You might want to be a bit suspicious when you get your oil change and they tell you it needs more repairs.
That's the big reason why places basically lose money on oil changes, so they can sell more work. So I would look at the rear shocks and make sure they are indeed leaking oil.

I replaced my rear shocks with 4Runner OEM and really like the ride. They were also very inexpensive, like $40 a piece.

I did a write up here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...lacements.html

KYBs would be fine, might just be a bit stiffer ride.

Quick Reply: Shock absorber leaking