GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Clunking Vibration after Braking?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-03, 01:17 AM
craigt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking Vibration after Braking?

Does anyone else notice the following problem?

After I brake to a complete stop, when I release the brake pedal I feel a small clunk in the drivetrain. It appears to come from under the car and may have something to do with the transfer of pwer to the rear wheels. It feels like the teeth in some gear has a small gap thay allow some play or extra movement to occur since the forces of stopping hold the gear against one direction and the forces of acceleration push the gear the against the other side of the teeth. I'm not sure if I am explaining this in clear english text but this thread is not to solve the problem for Lexus, it is to determine if others have a similar problem.

I told my dealership about it twice. The first time they said they could not duplicate the problem, the second time (when I drove with a tech to provide the example) they said it is normal and that the 4Runner also does it.

Craig
Old 05-04-03, 10:14 AM
modelaford
Driver

Smile

I told my dealership about it twice. The first time they said they could not duplicate the problem, the second time (when I drove with a tech to provide the example) they said it is normal and that the 4Runner also does it.

After working in many dealerships in my lifetime, this is and always will be a way of telling the customer I don't have time to waste on your nickle dime little problem. As the Tecs usually get paid on commission and the automobile companies screw them on warrentee work they just blow them out the door. This is sad but true and I am sure it goes on in all makes and models of vehicals. This is what is taking place right now on our vibration problem that CS says is normal. They want the customer pay work, $850 checkup which any kid with a few tools off the street could perform. These automoblie companies better wise up or they will sit with all their fancy vehicals. Yet the American public will pay sticker and way above sticker to drive these cars, What has happened to logic?????? These are $35K cars going for $54K, you would at least thin with that kind of profits they would be able to step to the plate and fix them.
Old 05-06-03, 09:50 PM
bgomez
Driver School Candidate

I think I am having the same issue. I would describe it as if someone gave me a little bump from behind right when I take me foot off the brake. It is annoying and I will take it in once there seems to be a fix.
Bill
Old 05-08-03, 11:03 PM
craigt
Driver School Candidate

There is not many replies to this so should I assume my car has a problem that is not universal to all as the tech stated to me? Or am I unclear in my explaination of the problem?

It is just like the guy before this post stated - after you come to a complete stop and then release the brake, it feels like someone tapped my GX from behind right away.

Please reply if you are experiencing this because I would like to determine if there is excessive play in my differential/transfer case or an engineering problem if eveyone has it.

Thanks,
Craig
Old 05-09-03, 10:02 AM
w4rjd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem. First tilme scared the heck out of me.
Old 05-09-03, 04:24 PM
super_cjc
Pole Position

Unhappy

Same problem.
Old 05-10-03, 02:29 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default Me too

Doesn't bother me but if its something to get fixed then I will talk to the dealer.
Old 05-10-03, 05:31 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have a problem I would describe like this, however I believe it is from the rear suspension being extended during braking. When you come to a stop, the suspension attempts to compress but the rear brakes hang a bit which tries to prevent the rear from settling.

I believe this is the cause of what I am feeling.
Old 05-10-03, 05:32 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't consider this to be a defect, but I do believe an adjustment can be made in the rear brakes.
Old 05-24-03, 01:16 PM
bricole
Driver School Candidate

Same Problem.
Old 05-24-03, 06:22 PM
robinzon
Driver

Yes indeed the 4runner had the same thing happen.... I always thought it was from breaks locking up, as I have a heavy foot... at any rate as I have said my 4runner had a similar deal... its just the way it is, there is really nothing much to do about except perhaps to get a new set of pads or get the rotors redone.... it should not be a problem on a new vehicle... dunno, my GX does it once in a while not quite as evident as the 4runner was....hmm...
Old 05-25-03, 06:52 AM
w4rjd
Pole Position

One of the Lexus service writters tells me that the Toyota Tundra has the same clunk. He says it is backlash in the drive train.
Old 05-26-03, 05:47 PM
impulse
Driver School Candidate

when i first got my 4unner it did it for the first 500 miles then its just stopped.
Old 06-05-03, 01:59 PM
romy101
Driver School Candidate

I had that happen to me today. It is one of those things you would never ever notice unless you were driving a lexus. The car is so quiet that any little noise or twitch in the engine or drivetrain is noticed. If you were in a jeep you would never feel the same thing cuz the jeep is not as quiet. This kind of thing does not bother me as it is such a little clunk. In my GS400 I always hear the ABS system reset after braking and got used to it. In the GX when you open the sunroof you will hear the motor adjust the wind deflector every time when you slow down (if you have the radio off). My point is these things are only noticed because we drive such a perfectly built vehicle. From what I hear the people in the Mercedes and BMW camp are noticing similar things but theirs have to do with breaking down, going to the shop for repairs etc etc. Thankfully we only notice little oddities.
Old 06-16-03, 10:31 AM
morgt0
Driver School Candidate

Same problem here-at first I thought I got rear-ended!!

Quick Reply: Clunking Vibration after Braking?