GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 w/Nav Solution for Aftermarket Stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-19, 05:23 PM
ColoradoMH
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@BeEvil Scanning this thread, it appears you've had this system for about a year. Any issues? Software updates? Would you recommend? Thanks
Old 02-19-19, 05:52 PM
Kelevra
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoradoMH
@Kelevra Do you mind sharing that spreadsheet? I'm really leaning towards that Phoenix unit but a bit concerned if it will work. 2003 with NAV/ML. Thanks
Not really a spreadsheet. We had a Phoenix in a 2004 Nav and ML sound. I did the AC controller reroute and added in a Android 9" head unit. Much better that the phoenix we had. (In my opinion).
Personally, I would NOT do the Phoenix at this time. They might get better in the future. However, The company has horrible response and really can't help much. We were lucky that our Phoenix worked as well as it did. However, We had many issues and no support. If you really would like to convert to a 9" and such, I can find the posts. It will take a little work but well worth it.

9" with Car play

9" android and AC controllers

Phoenix Android
Old 02-19-19, 06:36 PM
BeEvil
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

@BeEvil Scanning this thread, it appears you've had this system for about a year. Any issues? Software updates? Would you recommend? Thanks
The unit I purchased is going strong. I have no issues with it. I really am very happy with this purchase.

I’ve also recently installed another similar unit in my 06 LX470 from a different company. This one hasn’t been as smooth so far. I’m playing with it more and trying to work out the bugs. I’ve only had it for 2 weeks now. However the one I installed in my GX was seamless. It worked great from day one. The one issue I’d like to remedy is the music cuts out every few minutes for a second then continues. Not sure what’s up with that. Connection wise it has some little things that I’m also working on. I can connect but it sometimes drops the connection. The more I play with it the better it seems to get. I'll have to keep at it and see.
The following users liked this post:
ColoradoMH (02-19-19)
Old 02-19-19, 07:12 PM
ColoradoMH
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kelevra
Not really a spreadsheet. We had a Phoenix in a 2004 Nav and ML sound. I did the AC controller reroute and added in a Android 9" head unit. Much better that the phoenix we had. (In my opinion).
Personally, I would NOT do the Phoenix at this time. They might get better in the future. However, The company has horrible response and really can't help much. We were lucky that our Phoenix worked as well as it did. However, We had many issues and no support. If you really would like to convert to a 9" and such, I can find the posts. It will take a little work but well worth it.

9" with Car play

9" android and AC controllers

Phoenix Android

So, did you get junk parts for the AC controls? (Sorry for all the questions. Or more appropriately, thanks for your patience--I've done a basic car stereo before but nothing nearly as complex as this).
Old 02-19-19, 07:15 PM
ColoradoMH
Driver School Candidate

And, to be clear, the top pic, the 9" with Car Play, that's EXACTLY what I'd like to put into my vehicle.
Old 02-19-19, 07:20 PM
Kelevra
Driver

So, did you get junk parts for the AC controls? (Sorry for all the questions. Or more appropriately, thanks for your patience--I've done a basic car stereo before but nothing nearly as complex as this).
Yes, you can purchase the AC controller "used". I did not because we have a home in Tucson, AZ. We didn't want an issue with a used ac controller not working. We would melt in the Tucson Sun without AC. The other parts, you can purchase online at different dealers and or suppliers. I would defiantly consider the Android 9" over the Phoenix system. You will be much happier with the results and functions.
No problem, ask away. I am happy to help you with what I know.

Last edited by Kelevra; 02-19-19 at 07:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ColoradoMH (02-19-19)
Old 02-19-19, 07:25 PM
ColoradoMH
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. We're in Denver area, so I need both AC in the summer and heat in the winter (AC Heat for defrost).

Is this a do-it-yourself job, with YouTube assist? I have a great mechanic who works out of his house but we've only used him for engine stuff. I'm also Iphone so looking at the Apple Car Play kit. I don't need for this to be a Tesla imitation. That would be fine if it was seamless and easy. I really just want to connect my phone for work calls and maps and texting using voice.

Is that a specific unit that does both Android and CarPlay?

(I'll wait until after I get this solved and installed and give a full and proper Thanks...)
Old 02-19-19, 07:34 PM
Kelevra
Driver

And, to be clear, the top pic, the 9" with Car Play, that's EXACTLY what I'd like to put into my vehicle.
The Car Play can be installed using a APK and a Dongle. We purchased ours on Amazon for only $60.00. It works really well.
Old 02-19-19, 07:41 PM
ColoradoMH
Driver School Candidate

I'm a real Android novice. Even more than a Lexus/Toyota novice. APK is some sort of software that you add to the device? Do you mind linking to the head unit you have?

Also, do I need to get this to have the controls work? http://www.beatsonicusa.com/stereo/s...70/mva-81.html
Old 02-19-19, 07:46 PM
Kelevra
Driver

Thanks. We're in Denver area, so I need both AC in the summer and heat in the winter (AC Heat for defrost).

Is this a do-it-yourself job, with YouTube assist? I have a great mechanic who works out of his house but we've only used him for engine stuff. I'm also Iphone so looking at the Apple Car Play kit. I don't need for this to be a Tesla imitation. That would be fine if it was seamless and easy. I really just want to connect my phone for work calls and maps and texting using voice.

Is that a specific unit that does both Android and CarPlay?

(I'll wait until after I get this solved and installed and give a full and proper Thanks...)
The alteration for the rewire is really quite simple. You need to remove the glove compartment and surrounding trim. Not the dash. You will need to remove the wrapping on the 3 harness plugs down in the passenger footwell 1/4 panel. After you unwrap the wires, you will need to extent 7 wires. It will become very clear which wires you need to extend. You can use a thermostat wiring harness from a hardware store or possibly Home Depot. (22 gauge 7 wire thermostat harness). After that is done, maybe 2 hours or so. You will need a few non Nav items for the radio area. All in all, very easy and plug and play. The nice thing about the 9" Android is you get to keep your steering wheel controls.

Here is the Dongle.
Amazon Amazon
Old 02-19-19, 07:49 PM
ColoradoMH
Driver School Candidate

So, can I choose any of these units? https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=9+andro...nb_sb_ss_i_3_9
Old 02-19-19, 07:58 PM
ColoradoMH
Driver School Candidate

And this for the AC? https://www.ebay.com/p/2003-2009-Lex...8943804&chn=ps
Old 02-20-19, 07:23 AM
Kelevra
Driver

You could use one of these. However, there is a proven unit that has the right Can Bus. I will link it so you can see the unit tonight.
Old 02-20-19, 07:25 AM
Kelevra
Driver

No, That is for the Nav controller. You need a Non Nav controller. I have to fly out for the day, I will be back later tonight. I will link the right items for you.
Old 02-20-19, 08:02 AM
ColoradoMH
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kelevra
No, That is for the Nav controller. You need a Non Nav controller. I have to fly out for the day, I will be back later tonight. I will link the right items for you.

Thanks. I'm not in a massive hurry. Would like to figure out all the parts and get going in the next couple of weeks. Appreciate the help.

Quick Reply: GX470 w/Nav Solution for Aftermarket Stereo?