GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 w/Nav Solution for Aftermarket Stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-19, 07:31 PM
Kelevra
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoradoMH
Thanks. I'm not in a massive hurry. Would like to figure out all the parts and get going in the next couple of weeks. Appreciate the help.
I can put the list together for you, the head unit we are using comes from China via Alibaba. One of the better ones for this conversion.
Old 02-26-19, 11:39 PM
Relexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi
I too would like more info on your install, especially on the wire harness part..
i got the Phoenix one. Looks ok ,but yours is soo much cleaner looking..
any more information would be greatly appreciated
The following users liked this post:
GAC (08-04-20)
Old 02-27-19, 07:12 AM
Kelevra
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Guys, I have been asked several times to list some items for the Nav to Non Nav conversion. I was very lucky and was able to figure this all out with the help of Adonis over on the GXOR group.
I am here on the Mainland, dealing with an 88 yo Fathers Cancer. Give me this weekend and I will put a few lists together. You can see what we have done and decide if it is worth the conversion.
Most people think it is well worth the work.

Thanks

B

Last edited by Kelevra; 02-27-19 at 04:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Hoodis (07-27-20)
Old 02-27-19, 05:35 PM
ColoradoMH
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelevra
Hi Guys, I have been asked several times to list some items for the Nav to Non Nav conversion. I was very lucky and was able to figure this all out with the help of Adonis over on the GXOR group.
I am here on the Mainland, dealing with an 88 yo Fathers Cancer. Give me this weekend and I will put a few lists together. You can see what we have done and decide if it is worth the conversion.
Most people think it is well worth the work.

Thanks

B

Good luck. My parents are also in their 80's so I know the worry.

I've joined that FB group. Most of the posts are about lifts and suspension and such but I'm working my way through.
Old 02-27-19, 06:04 PM
MrWills
Driver School Candidate

Default RhinoRadio

Originally Posted by eddiemetro
Hi all:

I've been lurking around here for a while. I bought a 2006 GX470 for a tow vehicle, and like most everyone with the Mark Levingston Nav, have really wanted an aftermarket solution but don't want to tear apart the whole vehicle. I used to own a 2006 Subaru Legacy GT with the exact problem, and some creative folks found a solution in a JDM part. So, wondered if the same solution could work here - put a Prado part in the Lexus. I found this item on Ebay Australia, and thought it looked promising (albeit for a right-hand drive):

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOYOTA-PR...EAAOSwnipWZSOv

The part number is 88650-60612 177600-3010. If you search this part on google there are a number of European listings for the left-hand drive version of the part.

Provided that the climate controls work, I think you would still need a solution to convert the pre-amp outputs from an aftermarket stereo to line level inputs for the Mark Levingston factory amplifier, but I think this already exists.

Any thoughts?
https://rhinoradios.com/products/lex...um-alloy-bezel
Old 02-27-19, 07:42 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 523 Likes on 435 Posts

Have you purchased this one? Plug and play with no issues? What was your stock setup and year? (2004 w/ Nav w/ ML w/ RSES for example).

I recently saw someone install a Beatsonics MVA-81 in a GX470 w/ nav. It replaces the tape deck in the dash with an aftermarket deck of your choice (single DIN), and retains the factory display for HVAC/NAV and other functions. But you need to have your CD changer in place, and I removed mine when I installed a GROM USB2 years ago...and I'm not sure what I did with it.

I like the look and promise of the Tesla-style units, but the harsh conditions in the winter where I live, lack of trusted plug and play unit sources, spotty post-sales service, and general known reliability of the big name manufacturers, and a Pioneer DEH-X8800BHS seems like a smarter choice for me.
Old 02-27-19, 07:55 PM
ColoradoMH
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IanB2
Have you purchased this one? Plug and play with no issues? What was your stock setup and year? (2004 w/ Nav w/ ML w/ RSES for example).

I recently saw someone install a Beatsonics MVA-81 in a GX470 w/ nav. It replaces the tape deck in the dash with an aftermarket deck of your choice (single DIN), and retains the factory display for HVAC/NAV and other functions. But you need to have your CD changer in place, and I removed mine when I installed a GROM USB2 years ago...and I'm not sure what I did with it.

I like the look and promise of the Tesla-style units, but the harsh conditions in the winter where I live, lack of trusted plug and play unit sources, spotty post-sales service, and general known reliability of the big name manufacturers, and a Pioneer DEH-X8800BHS seems like a smarter choice for me.

I DO have a CD Changer. Even works but is missing the cassette (probably sold by the dealer for $2). I've seen that Beatsonics solution earlier in this thread, I think. Do I just need that, a replacement physical buttons AC control panel, and a single DIN head unit? Anything else that you know of?

I'm also in a winter area, Colorado. And I don't really care about all the extra screen gadgets. I really just want Apple Car Play to easily use the phone for maps, phone and reading and responding to texts verbally. The rest would probably just be distracting. THanks...
Old 02-28-19, 01:11 AM
MrWills
Driver School Candidate

i don’t think you can go wrong with the pioneer.

I’ve purchased one for a 2012 ES 350. It’s on the way. Hopefully will be installed by next week. I’m a little nervous about it but have heard some others who said they loved it.
Old 02-28-19, 07:18 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 523 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoradoMH
I DO have a CD Changer. Even works but is missing the cassette (probably sold by the dealer for $2). I've seen that Beatsonics solution earlier in this thread, I think. Do I just need that, a replacement physical buttons AC control panel, and a single DIN head unit? Anything else that you know of?

I'm also in a winter area, Colorado. And I don't really care about all the extra screen gadgets. I really just want Apple Car Play to easily use the phone for maps, phone and reading and responding to texts verbally. The rest would probably just be distracting. THanks...
My understanding is you would need the Beatsonics MVA-81 which includes fill pieces for the sides of the single DIN opening, there's an add-on unit to integrate the steering wheel controls if you want to retain those, and a single DIN headunit of your choice. You need the factory CD changer in place as the data flows through it, and you'd use your factory NAV screen/buttons for all HVAC functions like normal.

This is basically a way around converting the dash to non-nav which looks like an expensive PITA.
Old 02-28-19, 08:06 AM
JLee50
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My understanding is you would need the Beatsonics MVA-81 which includes fill pieces for the sides of the single DIN opening, there's an add-on unit to integrate the steering wheel controls if you want to retain those, and a single DIN headunit of your choice. You need the factory CD changer in place as the data flows through it, and you'd use your factory NAV screen/buttons for all HVAC functions like normal.

This is basically a way around converting the dash to non-nav which looks like an expensive PITA.
There is a LOT of info on this topic in the GXOR group on Facebook - it's worth a search.

Basically, converting to non-nav involves:
Buying the appropriate non-nav HVAC controls for your production date
Unwrapping the harness that's plugged into an ECU on the passenger side footwell
Routing said harness to the center, and extending the 7-pin section so it'll reach
Buying a double DIN trim plate to go around your new stereo (if you have the trim piece that goes with the HVAC controls)
If you don't have the trim piece that goes with HVAC controls, there's a Prado trim piece that does it all
Getting the right harness adapters if you intend on using the factory speakers/amps
Getting the right adapter if you intend on using the OEM backup camera
The following 2 users liked this post by JLee50:
IanB2 (02-28-19), Pjhom (03-23-19)
Old 03-01-19, 10:59 AM
dcg141
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will the rear entertainment system work with either the Android or the Grom?
Old 03-01-19, 12:14 PM
chilavert
Driver School Candidate

based on youtube reviews, that site is hit and miss. I've been looking to add this to my 2004. Luckly i have the base model no-nav, supposed to be easier to replace.
I saw this one which has smaller screen so hopefully less problem
http://www.carnaviplayer.com/lexus-g...ad-unit-p-1179
Old 05-09-19, 05:41 AM
childerj
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rear entertainment works with the GROM. Meaning it still has stock functionality. You can't play something on the GROM and have it show up on the rear entertainment system.
Old 07-09-19, 04:58 PM
Sweatn
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok after reading this whole thread, I'm still clueless if this will work with my non nav 6cd changer/cassete tape sound system. I really would like a back up camera and the ability to talk on my cell. Is there a possiblity to put a newer lexus unit into my 2006? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-09-19, 06:40 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweatn
Ok after reading this whole thread, I'm still clueless if this will work with my non nav 6cd changer/cassete tape sound system. I really would like a back up camera and the ability to talk on my cell. Is there a possiblity to put a newer lexus unit into my 2006? Thanks in advance.

If you don’t have NAV or the ML audio.... then all you need is a double din dash kit and a pioneer AVH with CarPlay/Android auto....

go to Crutchfield and put in your vehicle... then find the kit, harness, and radio you want... then purchase the stuff off amazon or eBay if you want to save some cash.
If you need tech help... stick with Crutchfield.

You have it easy.
The following 2 users liked this post by MrJason:
IanB2 (07-09-19), Rygar470 (07-10-19)

Quick Reply: GX470 w/Nav Solution for Aftermarket Stereo?