GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 w/Nav Solution for Aftermarket Stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-18, 07:04 AM
JSSinoda
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You're right @BeEvil. I tried looking for a model with buttons which was also made by DLC, but I couldn't find anything online. For that reason I will most likely go the safe/proven route instead of treading uncharted territories.

On a related note, does the CD changer in the glovebox work with the new unit or can it be removed? I personally don't use it, but was wondering if I could reclaim glovebox space by yanking it out with the old stereo.

Thanks,
AJ
Old 04-06-18, 07:28 AM
BeEvil
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by JSSinoda
You're right @BeEvil. I tried looking for a model with buttons which was also made by DLC, but I couldn't find anything online. For that reason I will most likely go the safe/proven route instead of treading uncharted territories.

On a related note, does the CD changer in the glovebox work with the new unit or can it be removed? I personally don't use it, but was wondering if I could reclaim glovebox space by yanking it out with the old stereo.

Thanks,
AJ
The CD player is no longer required after we installed the DLC unit. It comes with 2 USB inputs. I'm going to remove the CD player in the glove box. It's on my to do list.
The following users liked this post:
JSSinoda (04-06-18)
Old 05-15-18, 09:57 PM
JSSinoda
Driver School Candidate

Hi @RickyCRX,

Congrats on your new little guy.

Did you ever get your Phoenix Android radio installed? Wondering if you could share any experiences with Phoenix vs. AliExpress.

Thanks,
AJ
Old 05-22-18, 08:59 AM
KingSun
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I'm new to the GX world. (convinced my wife to get one) and we have an 08 and I looked at the tesla option but I want to keep our options open. I came across http://www.jewellet.com/Android-Toyo...o-Navigationon youtube with a Russian guy running this. Is there compatible with our nav units? If not if I go with the single din solution can I go with a fordable screen like this https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pioneer...?skuId=5888543
Old 05-22-18, 12:12 PM
RickyCRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks! And unfortunately, I haven't yet. We haven't even been driving the GX much, recently. I installed one of the Android radios in my Focus sedan, and it's overall been pretty nice. I haven't had a chance to do it yet on the GX, because I want to take my time more and make sure everything is 100% right on the installation.

I should be able to look into it more in a couple of weeks, I believe. I'll definitely post back here once I'm done!

One question I have for the one that posted above of their installation functioning -- since the Android radios take a while to boot up, does it also take a while before the climate control functions begin to work after you start the vehicle? That could be a deal-breaker for me living in Texas and waiting that much longer for the vehicle to begin cooling down with an infant in the car.

Ricky

Originally Posted by JSSinoda
Hi @RickyCRX,

Congrats on your new little guy.

Did you ever get your Phoenix Android radio installed? Wondering if you could share any experiences with Phoenix vs. AliExpress.

Thanks,
AJ
Old 05-22-18, 12:16 PM
KingSun
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RickyCRX
Thanks! And unfortunately, I haven't yet. We haven't even been driving the GX much, recently. I installed one of the Android radios in my Focus sedan, and it's overall been pretty nice. I haven't had a chance to do it yet on the GX, because I want to take my time more and make sure everything is 100% right on the installation.

I should be able to look into it more in a couple of weeks, I believe. I'll definitely post back here once I'm done!

One question I have for the one that posted above of their installation functioning -- since the Android radios take a while to boot up, does it also take a while before the climate control functions begin to work after you start the vehicle? That could be a deal-breaker for me living in Texas and waiting that much longer for the vehicle to begin cooling down with an infant in the car.

Ricky
From reading this thread it seems like it only happens in frigid weather (20-f).
Old 05-22-18, 03:50 PM
Turbinator
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RickyCRX

It's been forever since I've been on this forum, but I had this sudden urge to upgrade the touchscreen of my 2005 GX470. Seeing as how you bought one of the Phoenix Android Radio units, and are also in CA, I'll be following along your progress to see how your experience goes. In particular, it sounds like you're going to do the install yourself, I am also considering doing the install myself. Hoping you get a chance to spend some time on the GX in the next few weeks

From where did you buy the unit? Looks like we can buy directly from here:

https://phoenixandroidradios.com/pro...nt=47211134477
Old 05-22-18, 06:41 PM
Clansea
Driver School Candidate

I am a new owner in SoCal w a 2005 gx470 with nav. I also am considering doing this upgrade. Has anyone else completed this yet? SoCal people have an installer or easy enough for any car audio pro?
thanks!
Old 05-23-18, 09:07 AM
Sjone
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're not already, join the GXOR group on facebook. Several people there have done the install and posted pics, videos, tips etc.
Old 05-23-18, 11:32 AM
Turbinator
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sjone
If you're not already, join the GXOR group on facebook. Several people there have done the install and posted pics, videos, tips etc.
Thanks - I will go look for it now!

Edited to add: I joined the appropriate Facebook group, for NorCal. Was there a specific group you had in mind where folks have posted install pics and videos? I didn't see any in the NorCal group.

Last edited by Turbinator; 05-23-18 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-23-18, 12:40 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

So I am either going to do this or my wheels, I am thinking this first. Be Evil, when you ordered yours, what were the options you had to choose from? I have a 03 so I Dont have a rear cam but I can run1. Already having the BT45 I installed the mic is ran up through my glove box, A pillar Headliner and to the rear view mirror area, I really cant see it being a different plug, if it is, not a big deal. Having everything prety fresh in my mind and being able to remove it will give me a lot more room. As far as the Phoenix unit, is anyone having luck with them? Also Be Evil any idea on how long shipping took? Im still in Chicago for about a month, but I would like to make the drive to my new home in Arizona with the new unit! OH BeEvil did you pay list? or can you pm me what yoy did pay, if you dont want to announce it. I dont ever pay what they ask

Last edited by DiabloX22; 05-23-18 at 12:58 PM. Reason: sp
Old 05-23-18, 10:33 PM
Turbinator
Lead Lap

Apologies if this has been posted before, but I found a URL showing step by step how to remove the factory unit in the GX:

http://www.carstereoremoval.com/htm/...X47003_07P.htm

This plus the product's description as being "plug and play" has got me confident enough to want to do the swap myself. Seriously thinking about it... will follow up with my next steps.
Old 05-24-18, 04:13 AM
BeEvil
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by DiabloX22
So I am either going to do this or my wheels, I am thinking this first. Be Evil, when you ordered yours, what were the options you had to choose from? I have a 03 so I Dont have a rear cam but I can run1. Already having the BT45 I installed the mic is ran up through my glove box, A pillar Headliner and to the rear view mirror area, I really cant see it being a different plug, if it is, not a big deal. Having everything prety fresh in my mind and being able to remove it will give me a lot more room. As far as the Phoenix unit, is anyone having luck with them? Also Be Evil any idea on how long shipping took? Im still in Chicago for about a month, but I would like to make the drive to my new home in Arizona with the new unit! OH BeEvil did you pay list? or can you pm me what yoy did pay, if you dont want to announce it. I dont ever pay what they ask
@DiabloX22 - As far as options I believe the only one was more memory. My rear cam was aftermarket as well. You can figure out how to hook it up. Just play with the wires a bit.

re: Shipping. It takes a week for them to "test" the unit before they ship it. It came with in 2 weeks after shipping. So, about 3 weeks from date of order to Toronto area. When you are ordering you'll have may options to choose from for shipping.

I paid what they were asking but they through in more memory. Didn't realize you could negotiate price. Seems like they have sold a few since my purchase and were sold out for a while. They may not negotiate. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
DiabloX22 (05-24-18)
Old 05-24-18, 09:47 AM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I went on their page through Alibaba and their store is closed for updating or some ****! FML! Does anyone know what brand Phoenix is selling and if they work? It appears to me these are all the same units, maybe some softare differences, but these places get them from the same seller and put their sticker/name on and "brand" them. All the screens are the same, dimensions etc. Its actually the same with many car parts, change labels but same parts inside
Old 05-24-18, 12:27 PM
Turbinator
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DiabloX22
I went on their page through Alibaba and their store is closed for updating or some ****! FML! Does anyone know what brand Phoenix is selling and if they work? It appears to me these are all the same units, maybe some softare differences, but these places get them from the same seller and put their sticker/name on and "brand" them. All the screens are the same, dimensions etc. Its actually the same with many car parts, change labels but same parts inside
I was planning on buying directly from Phoenix Android Radios.

https://phoenixandroidradios.com/

No idea what brand they're selling. I thought this was their own in-house brand, but I could be wrong.

Quick Reply: GX470 w/Nav Solution for Aftermarket Stereo?