GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Thank you, Craigslist

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-16, 06:49 AM
erkelbot
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thank you, Craigslist

Upgrade to 2016 4Runner trail wheels. Courtesy of a Craigslist user who was hell bent on getting TRD Pro wheels and wanted to sell them off for cheap. Not a mile on them. =)

Now I just need some 255/75R17 duratracs. Just gotta wear out the tires I have first.

Attached Thumbnails Thank you, Craigslist-img_20160812_145954.jpg  
Old 08-13-16, 08:13 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts

Looks great!
Old 08-13-16, 08:28 AM
erkelbot
Rookie

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
Looks great!
Yeah, I'm super happy with how it turned out. The wheels, when combined with 265 with, or just about perfectly flush with the fenders. No spacers needed :-)
Old 08-13-16, 07:10 PM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Like them. Do they have more offset?
Old 08-13-16, 07:14 PM
erkelbot
Rookie

I think there is a slight bit more offset. Not hugely different, but a little bump was nice.
Old 08-13-16, 10:11 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Looks great! Now ditch the running boards!
Old 08-14-16, 04:48 AM
erkelbot
Rookie

Originally Posted by BlackCat81
Looks great! Now ditch the running boards!
Ironically, I was just ripping on my buddy because he never tore the RBs off of his 4runner... Yeah, it's overdue... The one question I did have was how folks conceal the clip locations once the RBs are off. Do people just plastidip the underside to make it less noticeable? Is there a kit out there (guessing not)?

Also,is there an inventive way of utilizing the power for the RB lights? I suppose you could run different lights under the rockers sort of like crawl lights when the doors open, but that seems like a sorta silly undertaking. Any other ideas worthwhile?...
Old 08-14-16, 08:04 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by erkelbot
Ironically, I was just ripping on my buddy because he never tore the RBs off of his 4runner... Yeah, it's overdue... The one question I did have was how folks conceal the clip locations once the RBs are off. Do people just plastidip the underside to make it less noticeable? Is there a kit out there (guessing not)?

Also,is there an inventive way of utilizing the power for the RB lights? I suppose you could run different lights under the rockers sort of like crawl lights when the doors open, but that seems like a sorta silly undertaking. Any other ideas worthwhile?...
Depends on where you live. Salt state? Cover the holes with something. if not, don't worry about it. Mine aren't covered but I live in Arizona. Only the very front 2 clips are visible on the lower front fenders, but I cut that portion off the running boards and reinstalled it to give it a nice clean look. This is the closest pic I have of mine, you can see the small portion below the fenders that I cut off the boards.

Name:  2CAD96E2-B537-4E9D-900C-BD1CA7C7C1D3_zps782touw7.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  140.1 KB

Name:  C8CB3C18-8D15-4860-BB87-F70805AAE958_zpsiaitgovm.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  354.7 KB

As far as the RB lights, there's a single connector in the middle of the boards. You can either unplug it and tuck it into a convenient hole that's in the frame right below it, or figure something out for rock lights or something. You'd need to look at a wiring diagram to figure out a way to give them power when the doors are closed though.

Last edited by BlackCat81; 08-14-16 at 08:11 AM.
Old 08-14-16, 08:12 AM
erkelbot
Rookie

Looks good. I'm in MN, so salt is an issue. A bad one... I suppose I could fill them with something or just tape over the holes with gorilla tape. Does nfab make a product for the GX if I wanted to eventually conceal the holes?

Also, is your truck lifted at all? What size tires are you using?

Originally Posted by BlackCat81
Depends on where you live. Salt state? Cover the holes with something. if not, don't worry about it. Mine aren't covered but I live in Arizona. Only the very front 2 clips are visible on the lower front fenders, but I cut that portion off the running boards and reinstalled it to give it a nice clean look. This is the closest pic I have of mine, you can see the small portion below the fenders that I cut off the boards.

Old 08-14-16, 09:09 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Looks good. I'm in MN, so salt is an issue. A bad one... I suppose I could fill them with something or just tape over the holes with gorilla tape. Does nfab make a product for the GX if I wanted to eventually conceal the holes?

Also, is your truck lifted at all? What size tires are you using?
Not sure if they make something for them. The nice thing is you can't see them with the doors closed. The rear of mine is lifted with trail team FJ cruiser springs. Tires are 285/60/18
Old 08-14-16, 09:50 AM
erkelbot
Rookie

Did you put in the FJ Springs because the air suspension died, or did you change the springs out while this air suspension was still good? I just got this truck about a month ago, and the previous owner had just replaced the air suspension within ten thousand miles. I hesitate to mess with it, since it's essentially ready to go for a long time yet. Once the suspension in the rear dies, I will definitely be replacing it with something better.

As an aside, I was shocked to hear that the stock tire size is a 265/65 R 17. That seems woefully inadequate. But, because the person who owned it before me had recently replaced the tires too... I'm stuck with these for a while yet. Did you have to do any cutting to get 285s in there?
Old 08-14-16, 10:07 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Did you put in the FJ Springs because the air suspension died, or did you change the springs out while this air suspension was still good? I just got this truck about a month ago, and the previous owner had just replaced the air suspension within ten thousand miles. I hesitate to mess with it, since it's essentially ready to go for a long time yet. Once the suspension in the rear dies, I will definitely be replacing it with something better.

As an aside, I was shocked to hear that the stock tire size is a 265/65 R 17. That seems woefully inadequate. But, because the person who owned it before me had recently replaced the tires too... I'm stuck with these for a while yet. Did you have to do any cutting to get 285s in there?
My compressor quit after driving through a river in northern Californa. The lines and airbags were fine, I just sucked some sandy water into the compressor air inlet.

I had to do some very minor trimming where the running boards used to be and then use a heat gun to re mold a small portion of the wheel well liners. Took about 30min.
Old 08-14-16, 04:55 PM
NMBruce
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a set of 4Runner SR5 wheels, new for $200 and another set of the same wheels and tires, also new for $400, also through Craigslist
Now I have **** Cepek Fun Country in a 265/70/17 and they rub on the running boards, so be careful if what you buy runs big.
Old 08-15-16, 02:07 PM
erkelbot
Rookie

Originally Posted by NMBruce
I got a set of 4Runner SR5 wheels, new for $200 and another set of the same wheels and tires, also new for $400, also through Craigslist
Now I have **** Cepek Fun Country in a 265/70/17 and they rub on the running boards, so be careful if what you buy runs big.
Good point. I'll probably go 255/75 and hope skinny makes it work best. I want to go fairly aggressive as opposed to just a good all-season, so I'm leaning toward DuraTracs. Might even add Spidertrax to help make the offset flush with the fenders.

P.S. - I love that the logic on the forum **** d1ck Cepek. Funny Sh1z.
Old 08-17-16, 01:28 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I trimmed the corner off the front of the running boards and no more rubbing. It held me over for a while but now I have rock sliders coming in from Southern speed. inner fender lines need some trimming also with 285's, it wasn't anything crazy though, 20 minutes with a sharp blade and some scissors did the trick.

Quick Reply: Thank you, Craigslist